Question on recruiting top recruits to UCONN in the past... | The Boneyard

Question on recruiting top recruits to UCONN in the past...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kerry Bascom is widely recognized as the first real blue chip to come to UCONN, and the first all american (she was from New Hampshire).

other big recruits leading up to 2000 when we then went on a huge roll included Lobo, Sales, Ralph, (Swin/Ashja/Tamika), and then Diana.

I didn't include Wolters, Bird, or Rizotti as i don't think they were HS all americans, but my question goes for them too...

what other schools were recruiting each of them? did it come down to UCONN and one other school with UCONN prevailing? how close were some of these kids to choosing other schools?

I'm guessing Bascom seriously considered Providence, and i think Ralph chose between UCONN and UNC, but there are no internet articles going back that far... so i can't be sure of any of them. anyone recall any info on their recruitment?

as a side note...

Strother chose UCONN over Tennessee, Georgia, Stanford, Purdue and ND.
Charde chose UCONN over Texas
Renee - ???
Tina - ???
Maya chose UCONN over Tennessee, Duke and Georgia
EDD chose UCONN over Tennessee, Duke and Villanova

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
so 134 views but no one can remember?

Reaction Score
Swin picked UConn over Tenn, others
Ashja picked UConn over Rutgers
Tamika W picked UConn over Dayton, others

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Strother also made a visit to Duke. I think she also made one to Stanford, though that could have been Wolff.

Wolff was ranked highly by some services (top ten/top five) and also took a visit to Duke.

Reaction Score
Honestly, unless a kid is a very early verbal, they will probably come down to a close decision between two schools. The early verbal is usually to the school that has been a long time goal or favorite. Traditionally, Geno does not look for the early verbal. The end result is that nearly every target has been wooed substantially by others. All those hugs and kisses will more times than not result in a close decision. Fortunately, for us on the Boneyard, our recruiters can afford to wait and be selective. It is hard to ignore attention from the premiere program in the country.

Reaction Score
tina charles picked uconn over Rutgers those were her final two and to Renee it came down too Uconn and Maryland

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
tina charles picked uconn over Rutgers those were her final two and to Renee it came down too Uconn and Maryland

Wow. I didn't know that. :eek:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Tina chose UConn over everyone and she did it in something like 10th grade. She was always going to UConn, never really considered anywhere else.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tina chose UConn over everyone and she did it in something like 10th grade. She was always going to UConn, never really considered anywhere else.
That's what I thought, too, Nan. I never remember her having serious interest anywhere else.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
wow thanks guys. some of them were so long ago that there is not any info on the net, and i couldn't recall who else they were looking at...

Reaction Score
Also Rebecca Lobo picked UConn over ND, possibly Stanford, possibly others

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Strother also made a visit to Duke. I think she also made one to Stanford, though that could have been Wolff.

Wolff was ranked highly by some services (top ten/top five) and also took a visit to Duke.
Wolff was #4 per blue star i think, and she was NPOY on someone's list. her first game in a UCONN uniform she scored 18 points or so, but a string of injuries pretty much destroyed her career...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Shea: UConn > North Carolina and Tenn.
Sue: UConn > Vandy
Rizzotti: UConn > Providence
Dee: UConn> UCLA

imo.

Reaction Score
That's what I thought, too, Nan. I never remember her having serious interest anywhere else.

Well i remember in a Ustream Tina and Renee did over a year ago and thats what she said.. could be incorrect

Reaction Score
I may have read somewhere that Sue Bird cherished her Stanford acceptance, but chose UConn.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Its funny to think back on this because I honestly cant really remember anyone! I just know when the say UCONN, I forget about everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom