question for UCONN fans | The Boneyard

question for UCONN fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
what other sports are UCONN women good at? living in the South we don't hear about anything but basketball from the women.

in the SEC, there are so many good womens' team and i am curious what the Big East is like outside of basketball. thanks!

Reaction Score
Soccer is the 1st thing that comes to mind. In 2003 the women got to the NCAA Division 1 Championship game but were defreated my North Carolina.
I'm sure others with have more info for you. Good question for discussion.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
what other sports are UCONN women good at? living in the South we don't hear about anything but basketball from the women.

in the SEC, there are so many good womens' team and i am curious what the Big East is like outside of basketball. thanks!
UConn is strong in field hockey with 10 Final Four appearances (most recently, last year) resulting in 2 championships and 2 national finalist finishes. They've also been to the Elite Eight an additional 7 times.

UConn is also strong in both men's & women's soccer. The men have won 2 championships, the women have played in 4 championship games (never won, though), been in an additional 4 Final Four games and 10 more Elite Eight games. They've been down a bit in the last couple years, not sure why.

UConn women's ice hockey had been in and out of the top 10 national rankings in recent years. They just had a dismal year, though, and again I'm not sure why.

Other teams will occasionally have terrific years, but not consistently. The Track & Field team finished in the Top 20 in the country in the fall - don't remember that happening before.

But the team that comes close to the basketball team in championships is the UConn Polo team (the horsey polo, not water polo). They also have 7 national championships and, I believe, two three-peats. UConn men's polo has also won 3 championships, like the UConn men's bball team.

Reaction Score
UConn is strong in field hockey with 10 Final Four appearances (most recently, last year) resulting in 2 championships and 2 national finalists. They've also been to the Elite Eight an additional 7 times.

UConn is also strong in both men's & women's soccer. The men have won 2 championships, the women have played in 4 championship games (never won, though), been in an additional 4 Final Four games and 10 more Elite Eight games. They've been down a bit in the last couple years, not sure why.

UConn women's ice hockey had been in and out of the top 10 national rankings in recent years. They just had a dismal year, though, and again I'm not sure why.

Other teams will occasionally have terrific years, but not consistently. The Track & Field team finished in the Top 20 in the country in the fall - don't remember that happening before.

But the team that comes close to the basketball team in championships is the UConn Polo team (the horsey polo, not water polo). They also have 7 national championships and, I believe, two three-peats. UConn men's polo has also won 3 championships, like the UConn men's bball team.

great answer!!! i think the sports vary so much from region to region so it is definitely interesting to learn about this stuff. for instance, a lot of LV fans immediately switch to softball after the basketball season ends. ha. i think our tennis and volleyball teams are pretty good, as well as swimming, track, and diving. with all the realignment between the conferences, it will be interesting to see how the newly added schools do with new sports being added to their programs.

Reaction Score
Soccer is the 1st thing that comes to mind. In 2003 the women got to the NCAA Division 1 Championship game but were defreated my North Carolina.
I'm sure others with have more info for you. Good question for discussion.

yeah i think i rem that soccer final. NC is always good in soccer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Please understand that as soon as figure out how to teach the horses to tread water we expect to dominate water polo, too.

Baseball has been on the rise at UConn.

Reaction Score
Please understand that as soon as figure out how to teach the horses to tread water we expect to dominate water polo, too.

what is the most popular womens sport after basketball? soccer?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Depending on how you measure it, probably Soccer and Softball. College Softball has a solid fan-base in areas where it is popular (read successful) - and so does Volleyball. I have never heard how well attended Women's College Soccer really is, and I think it gets less TV coverage than VB and Softball. Yet, we all know that soccer in general garners a lot of interest - think Team USA on the women's side.

As Nan and folks noted above, programs rise and fall. Consistency is a key. Here in AZ we have supurb Softball, competative Women's Volleyball, and mediocre WBB - however, Arizona is often very good in other sports, such as golf, baseball, swimming and even gymnastics at times. It is a Men's BB "school" and a football wanna-be.

I refuse to comment about Rutgers "other" sports, except to state that WBB is and has been for years (even before CVS) the top program at RU. Not surprisingly, many RU sports fans that don't follow WBB wish otherwise.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Them lanky bastuhds cheat, Ice: their hoofies reach the bottom.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The UConn softball team has, traditionally, not been too powerful, but they're having their best year in some time. Not only are they over .500 in conference, but they broke the 20-game win streak of USF recently. Ursusminor, while attending a U. Maryland softball game (turtles, playing softball?), overheard other patrons speaking about UConn softball and the defeat of USF.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think soccer, yes. The UConn men's soccer team has held the nation's attendance record for years, too.

Reaction Score
Depending on how you measure it, probably Soccer and Softball. College Softball has a solid fan-base in areas where it is popular (read successful) - and so does Volleyball. I have never heard how well attended Women's College Soccer really is, and I think it gets less TV coverage than VB and Softball. Yet, we all know that soccer in general garners a lot of interest - think Team USA on the women's side.

As Nan and folks noted above, programs rise and fall. Consistency is a key. Here in AZ we have supurb Softball, competative Women's Volleyball, and mediocre WBB - however, Arizona is often very good in other sports, such as golf, baseball, swimming and even gymnastics at times. It is a Men's BB "school" and a football wanna-be.

I refuse to comment about Rutgers "other" sports, except to state that WBB is and has been for years (even before CVS) the top program at RU. Not surprisingly, many RU sports fans that don't follow WBB wish otherwise.

yeah AZ has great softball teams. TN softball has been on fire over the past few years. the lady vols are VERY popular and a lot of their games require overflow seating for fans. pretty exciting. hopefully, we can snag a NC title soon. our new softball recruits are crazy good and i think pat summitt's success has really transcended into other sports at TN.

Reaction Score
I think soccer, yes. The UConn men's soccer team has held the nation's attendance record for years, too.

i love soccer. it doesn't get much attention down here. american football just swallows everything up. lol

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
i love soccer. it doesn't get much attention down here. american football just swallows everything up. lol
Basketball, soccer, lacrosse and hockey are all big in the Northeast. Football is as well but most kids in Connecticut seem to grow up playing soccer. Both of my kids were on AAU teams and one played on the middle school team. I think half the school tried out for the team - it's that popular.

Reaction Score
Basketball, soccer, lacrosse and hockey are all big in the Northeast. Football is as well but most kids in Connecticut seem to grow up playing soccer. Both of my kids were on AAU teams and one played on the middle school team. I think half the school tried out for the team - it's that popular.

wow that's amazing. it's a great game and very demanding. i think i ran more in soccer than any other sport i played. looks a lot easier than when you are on the field.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
yeah AZ has great softball teams. TN softball has been on fire over the past few years. the lady vols are VERY popular and a lot of their games require overflow seating for fans. pretty exciting. hopefully, we can snag a NC title soon. our new softball recruits are crazy good and i think pat summitt's success has really transcended into other sports at TN.
Tennessee softball would be my favorite in the SEC - never warmed up to Florida or Alabama, did like former LSU coach Giraud but she's retired. As a recent transplant to AZ, yes, AZ softball is my team, but I actually do like ASU (don't have the "inbred" rivalry issues). AZ winning the NC would be my first choice (not likely this year), ASU 2nd, Tennessee probably 3rd. I wish I could root for a BE team, but I think the league is too weak to produce a contender. Ultimately, anybody but UCLA!!!!

Reaction Score
anybo
Tennessee softball would be my favorite in the SEC - never warmed up to Florida or Alabama, did like former LSU coach Giraud but she's retired. As a recent transplant to AZ, yes, AZ softball is my team, but I actually do like ASU (don't have the "inbred" rivalry issues). AZ winning the NC would be my first choice (not likely this year), ASU 2nd, Tennessee probably 3rd. I wish I could root for a BE team, but I think the league is too weak to produce a contender. Ultimately, anybody but UCLA!!!!

i totally agree with the anybody but UCLA! :)

i think softball is the sport with the most potential growth for the womens' game. southern people just love baseball/softball too so i definitely expect the SEC to keep having good teams and recruits. Texas has some good teams as well. still, overall, Arizona and CA are the places with the best overall programs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Which is amazing when one considers the historical insanity of high school soccer in the St. Louis area. I would have expected someone in that area.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Please understand that as soon as figure out how to teach the horses to tread water we expect to dominate water polo, too...

Them lanky bastuhds cheat, Ice: their hoofies reach the bottom.
True, true. So far, during practice none of them wants to take a charge, and every time you turn your back, they just run right back on the water slide!

Horse Water Polo 1.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The regionality of games is interesting - a lot of it is weather. You can play soccer and lacrosse anytime you don't actually have snow on the ground - golf, softball, baseball no so much. As far as ice hockey, I am finding it surprisingly difficult to get my pond to freeze over down here in Miami - my skates keep getting rusty.

Reaction Score

It seems to me that Connecticut differs from many states in that athletics is not dominated by a few sports. For instance, in the town of 20,000 that I live in, there are 19 varsity High School sports for girls and many club sports. No one girls sport dominates, but soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, track & field and Cross Country have the most participants. However, volleyball, tennis, ice hockey and golf are right up there. Many girls are on the sailing team, which is co-ed. Softball hasn’t been popular, but the I believe the girls will be getting an artificial turf field so that seems to be generating more interest in the sport.

Neither boys or girls basketball is that popular. Boys gravitate toward lacrosse, soccer, rugby is popular, baseball not so much. Over 80 percent of the high school kids are on a sports team. I think they like the less popular sports because the competition for scholarships is less. Plus they gravitate toward the Ivy League where the lesser sports (like fencing) are popular.

Sailing became big because the program has produced olympic sailors and some that made it big in the America’s Cup. Some kids go for the more arcane sports like curling, Ultimate Frisbee and those involving horses. All of this takes away from BBall, baseball,and football, although football is very popular. As for me, when I feel energetic, I lie down until the feeling passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom