Question for this Board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question for this Board

Reaction Score
While we have to fear the new players leaving, do we want mediocre coaching for the next 5? No one can look into the future but the rest of this season should be an indicator as to whether KO gets next year. We need to see growth.

Reaction Score
While we have to fear the new players leaving, do we want mediocre coaching for the next 5? No one can look into the future but the rest of this season should be an indicator as to whether KO gets next year. We need to see growth.
I’d say before larrier sat out with a headache we were seeing growth. Taking Larrier out of the equation torpedoed all the momentum we’d built. JA was left on an island alone with Sniper CV not sniping

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the guys could shoot like they think they can shoot then this season would be much much better. Even if half of them still couldn't dribble.

Reaction Score
Would we accept growth with a record of 16-19?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
This is it right there. We don't have the players to run his isolation offense, yet we still try. There's no motion to the offense, the ball is constantly deflated and then we're back to 10 seconds left, time for Jalen to try and do his thing. That's the maddening part for me. Institute some other kind of offense and get the ship righted. But my fear is he only knows this pro offense and that is why we are screwed.
I believe Jalen needs to look to distribute more. He has no chance as a 2 guard at the next level, so he'll have to be a point. His 1 against the world style isn't working and to free himself up he needs to get others involved. I'd feel better about this team if they got open looks and missed versus the garbage offense I've been seeing.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I choosed not to answer.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I thought we'd be a top 25 team on talent alone, and players improving their game despite their horrible coach. I was wrong, they did little to improve over the summer oh well.

Reaction Score
We've been moving the goal posts for the basketball program's success since KO won his championship. When Ollie took the reins just making the tourney wouldn't have meant a good year, winning at least a game or two was imperative. Now we go into every season not asking if we can compete for the title or even be ranked and consistently challenging for the league title, but whether or not we'll finish close to the top of the AAC, whether we can make the tournament without winning the AAC tournament, etc. Speaks volumes about where the program has gone under Ollie.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I thought we'd be a top 25 team on talent alone, and players improving their game despite their horrible coach. I was wrong, they did little to improve over the summer oh well.

Who was supposed to improve their game over the summer?

We had two returning players to measure that by. And while Jalen and CV are not markedly improved over last year (actually you can kind of make a case for Jalen to be improved, but there is the turnover issue) that's all we had to hang our hat on.

Everyone else was first full season as a UConn player players. So where are you getting a benchmark for improving from?

polycom

Reaction Score
Who was supposed to improve their game over the summer?

We had two returning players to measure that by. And while Jalen and CV are not markedly improved over last year (actually you can kind of make a case for Jalen to be improved, but there is the turnover issue) that's all we had to hang our hat on.

Everyone else was first full season as a UConn player players. So where are you getting a benchmark for improving from?

CV should be much better, Terry tore his ACL that doesn't mean he couldn't dribble a basketball... Don't make excuses for these players. They have responsibly in the situation as well. Adams should be a better shooter.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Did anyone really thought we were going to dominate this season? Did anyone expected us to dominate this season because of tradition and NOT talent?.

No, but I was hopeful we would see the Huskies play with the grit and toughness which characterize the best of UConn basketball and what put it on the map. I also expected to see improvement as the season progressed with the realization that the team is comprised of many new faces and that it can take time to develop chemistry.

Reaction Score
We've been moving the goal posts for the basketball program's success since KO won his championship. When Ollie took the reins just making the tourney wouldn't have meant a good year, winning at least a game or two was imperative. Now we go into every season not asking if we can compete for the title or even be ranked and consistently challenging for the league title, but whether or not we'll finish close to the top of the AAC, whether we can make the tournament without winning the AAC tournament, etc. Speaks volumes about where the program has gone under Ollie.
Of course there are expectations every year of making the tournament
That doesn’t happen and never has .
Yes KO managed to keep a decent core together a couple of years enough so that they developed into a very good TEAM and won a NC.
Every year since has been a rebuild compounded by the fact that we had a number of less than great recruiting classes. Those with any honest memory should remember that one of the key impediments to recruiting were daily media stories that KO was leaving .
The fact that he was somewhat coy at least publicly didn’t help. It did get him a lot of money though.
We’ve never developed enough depth to overcome a departure especially if that was premature.
We got to the NIT in 2014-15 with a complete new backcourt playing RB out of position.
Injuries to RB and Rodney didn’t help. I don’t think either played in losses to Texas or Yale.
2015-2016 We introduced JA our first legimate PG since Bazz and with the addition of two decent grad transfers and Hamilton made the Tournment for the second time in two years.
and won 25-26 games plus the AAC Championship*
*(The AAC regular season is unbalanced I believe a Temple team who played a weaker schedule than us won but we blew them out on a neutral flow .)
2016-2017 with KO safely secured we had our best recruiting class in years
With a five star PG and a five star transfer coming in
With Jackson ,Durham and Diarra and a throw away name Christian Vital added to Sophmore JA , Steve Enoch ,Seniors Brimah and Facey plus post grad Rodney Purvis , the optimist on board were talking deep run. If anything the predictions bordered on insanity.
But KO ‘s achievements with less made anything seem possible.
Third NCAA in 4 tries was assured Maye number 5 was in the works
Those are heady goalposts.
Hamilton not coming back for his junior year was a blow but we still had a preseason top 20 ranking.
What happened over the course of last season and especially this spring shellshocked the faithful.
Here is my take
Hamilton left too soon
Rodney was in a funk due to personal issues.
Diarra was lost for the year
The team got off to a bad start in part due to KO giving the point to Gilbert and JA unsure of his role
Than they promptly lost Larrier, and Gilbert for the year and Durham was in no real shape to contribute . Steve Enoch couldn’t stay in a game in a year he should have been getting as many minutes as Brimah.
We ended up with JA , Jackson ,Purvis, Facey, Brimah,and Vital as the super sub.
with no secondary ball handler anyone who didn’t reduce expectations had to be delusional. The odd thing about this lineup is JA took that team over and they became decent. I didn’t say great or even good but a pretty decent if thin team.
If JA didn’t sustain two key injuries ,a concussion,and a sprained ankle that he played the final third of the season on I suspect that team would have easily made the NIT.
A disappointment but in the real world stuff happens .
Maybe expectations for this year we’re not the same but
With JA, Larrier, Gilbert , Vital, Jackson, Enoch , Diarra,and Durham returning there along with some decent recruits like MAL,Whaley, Carlton,and Polley I suspect the NCAA was legitimatly in reach.
The departures of two and possibly three future starters plus our key guard recruit in addition to
Brimah, Facey,and Purvis and the team is pretty much devastated. Why this happed is anyone’s guess but KO is in charge .
That type of event is a goal post mover or let’s call it reality.
For those of you with little knowledge of team construction carrying over guys from year to year starts the new team at a higher level to begin with.especially true of backcourt and wings.
So this goal post moving theory is actually pretty redictules.
Its failure to achieve expectations ,possibly beyond what is normal that’s the reality.
I don’t pretend to know the internal factors that caused the disruptions
But to deny they play a part in our current situation is absolute nonsense,
Also to say since KO arrived we have tempered expectations is ridicules . If Anything his success in 2014 with a less than great players , made future expectations greater and magnified failure to achieve those expectations.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
CV should be much better, Terry tore his ACL that doesn't mean he couldn't dribble a basketball... Don't make excuses for these players. They have responsibly in the situation as well. Adams should be a better shooter.

There was no benchmark for Terry. And Terry as a whole is having a very good season.

Who wouldnt have signed up for 15.3 points - 5 rebounds -1 assist per game shooting 41% from 3 from Terry larrier at beginning of the season on a team with Alterique Gilbert and Jalen Adams?

I wouldve in a heartbeat.

polycom

Reaction Score
There was no benchmark for Terry. And Terry as a whole is having a very good season.

Who wouldnt have signed up for 15.3 points - 5 rebounds -1 assist per game shooting 41% from 3 from Terry larrier at beginning of the season on a team with Alterique Gilbert and Jalen Adams?

I wouldve in a heartbeat.

Why was there no benchmark for Terry? He could obviously shoot from last year and his first year at VCU but his handle didn't improve at all which is something he needed to improve from prior years. However, I will say Terry has improved his 3 point shooting that is true.

Terry Larrier College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

polycom

Reaction Score
Because he didnt play basketball for 2 years.

What? He wasn't bed ridden, you can absolutely work on your handle in the 2 years since an ACL tear that isn't an excuse at all.

Reaction Score
Did anyone really thought we were going to dominate this season? Did anyone expected us to dominate this season because of tradition and NOT talent?

Answer varies depending on time of the year:
1. About this time last yr, I thought we would have been a potential 16 team and playing in the AAC championship game. Thought the line-up would have have looked like this: Gilbert, Adams, Larrier, Jackson, Enoch w/ solid bench: Vital, Durham, Diarra, MAL.

2. Last May, was hoping we could win about 10 games/hoping we suit 10 to scrimmage. Thought starting line-up would look something like this: Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Larrier. Carlton, Cobb, and Diarra fighting for the five with no bench. Think we were hunting AA, DO, Whaley, and Polley. Don't know if anyone on the outside truly knows what happened. This is when I would have fired Ollie if I was going to.

3. Last September, thought we could get 20-22 assuming Wilson gained eligibility/thought building chemistry woud take some time. Starting line-up: Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Larrier, Cobb. Bench: DO, AA, Wilson, Diarra (expecting little from Polley, Charlton, Whaley) team and recent grads scrimmaging together. Although not a powerhouse, doesn't appear to me that Ollie lost is team.

4. Mid November...last year's record seemed like a pipe dream. I lost confidence in players like Adams and Larrier for admitting they start slow and scooter. Would love to bench them to make a point, but you do more damage to the team than good.

5. After the Oregon win, I thought we could be a 25 win team if all the cards fell right.

6. Now I think we can sneak into the NIT assuming no major injuries or suspensions come to core players. Recruited a solid class and I see player development (Whaley and Carlton.)

7. In two months, I keep Ollie assuming his players don't quit or a mass exodus doesn't happen. If that happens, it's over.

8. 15 months from now...barring major injury, I think we have to be in the tournament or he should be let go.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What? He wasn't bed ridden, you can absolutely work on your handle in the 2 years since an ACL tear that isn't an excuse at all.

Yeah.... OK and how are his numbers compared to the season you can compare it to?

If you say Larrier is not improved compared to that there is no helping you.

polycom

Reaction Score
Yeah.... OK and how are his numbers compared to the season you can compare it to?

If you say Larrier is not improved compared to that there is no helping you.

He plays double the minutes and has more than double the turnovers from his freshman year. Not to mention he plays double the minutes and only has slightly more assists but that is unrelated.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wasn't on this message board during the 2011-2012 season when we finished 20-14 but can someone tell me what was the reaction Like during that season.
We finished 20-14, with this roster and the legendary Coach Calhoun at the helm.

G 11 Ryan Boatright 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) 165 lb (75 kg) Fr Aurora, IL

F/C 25 Michael Bradley 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m) 235 lb (107 kg) RS Fr Chattanooga, TN

F 2 DeAndre Daniels 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 191 lb (87 kg) Fr Woodland Hills, CA

C 12 Andre Drummond 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m) 275 lb (125 kg) Fr Middletown, CT

G/F 5 Niels Giffey 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 210 lb (95 kg) So Berlin, Germany

G/F 3 Jeremy Lamb 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) 185 lb (84 kg) So Norcross, GA

G 13 Shabazz Napier 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) 170 lb (77 kg) So Randolph, MA

F 10 Tyler Olander 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) 225 lb (102 kg) So Mansfield, CT

F/C 34 Alex Oriakhi 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) 240 lb (109 kg) Jr Lowell, MA

F 22 Roscoe Smith 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m) 205 lb (93 kg) So Baltimore, MD

C 1 Enosch Wolf 7 ft 1 in (2.16 m)

I thought that team underachieved. What is your point? That Calhoun had a bad season coaching? There's a mitigating factor in that particular season. Jim Calhoun reveals he had cancer surgery in May He didn't have several crap fests in a row like Ollie has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Of course there are expectations every year of making the tournament
That doesn’t happen and never has .
Yes KO managed to keep a decent core together a couple of years enough so that they developed into a very good TEAM and won a NC.
Every year since has been a rebuild compounded by the fact that we had a number of less than great recruiting classes. Those with any honest memory should remember that one of the key impediments to recruiting were daily media stories that KO was leaving .
The fact that he was somewhat coy at least publicly didn’t help. It did get him a lot of money though.
We’ve never developed enough depth to overcome a departure especially if that was premature.
We got to the NIT in 2014-15 with a complete new backcourt playing RB out of position.
Injuries to RB and Rodney didn’t help. I don’t think either played in losses to Texas or Yale.
2015-2016 We introduced Adams our first legimate PG since Bazz and with the addition of two decent grad transfers and Hamilton made the Tournment for the second time in two years.
and won 25-26 games plus the AAC Championship*
*(The AAC regular season is unbalanced I believe a Temple team who played a weaker schedule than us won but we blew them out on a neutral flow .)
2016-2017 with KO safely secured we had our best recruiting class in years
With a five star PG and a five star transfer coming in
With Jackson ,Durham and Diarra and a throw away name Christian Vital added to Sophmore Adams , Steve Enoch ,Seniors Brimah and Facey plus post grad Rodney Purvis , the optimist on board were talking deep run. If anything the predictions bordered on insanity.
But KO ‘s achievements with less made anything seem possible.
Third NCAA in 4 tries was assured Maye number 5 was in the works
Those are heady goalposts.
Hamilton not coming back for his junior year was a blow but we still had a preseason top 20 ranking.
What happened over the course of last season and especially this spring shellshocked the faithful.
Here is my take
Hamilton left too soon
Rodney was in a funk due to personal issues.
Diarra was lost for the year
The team got off to a bad start in part due to KO giving the point to Gilbert and Adams unsure of his role
Than they promptly lost Larrier, and Gilbert for the year and Durham was in no real shape to contribute . Steve Enoch couldn’t stay in a game in a year he should have been getting as many minutes as Brimah.
We ended up with Adams , Jackson ,Purvis, Facey, Brimah,and Vital as the super sub.
with no secondary ball handler anyone who didn’t reduce expectations had to be delusional. The odd thing about this lineup is Adams took that team over and they became decent. I didn’t say great or even good but a pretty decent if thin team.
If Adams didn’t sustain two key injuries ,a concussion,and a sprained ankle that he played the final third of the season on I suspect that team would have easily made the NIT.
A disappointment but in the real world stuff happens .
Maybe expectations for this year we’re not the same but
With Adams, Larrier, Gilbert , Vital, Jackson, Enoch , Diarra,and Durham returning there along with some decent recruits like MAL,Whaley, Carlton,and Polley I suspect the NCAA was legitimatly in reach.
The departures of two and possibly three future starters plus our key guard recruit in addition to
Brimah, Facey,and Purvis and the team is pretty much devastated. Why this happed is anyone’s guess but KO is in charge .
That type of event is a goal post mover or let’s call it reality.
For those of you with little knowledge of team construction carrying over guys from year to year starts the new team at a higher level to begin with.especially true of backcourt and wings.
So this goal post moving theory is actually pretty redictules.
Its failure to achieve expectations ,possibly beyond what is normal that’s the reality.
I don’t pretend to know the internal factors that caused the disruptions
But to deny they play a part in our current situation is absolute nonsense,
Also to say since KO arrived we have tempered expectations is ridicules . If Anything his success in 2014 with a less than great players , made future expectations greater and magnified failure to achieve those expectations.
I must’ve counted 15 different excuses in there. Few here and there can be justified, but when you reach the quantity articulated above for the program’s plummet into the abyss, it’s no longer believable as that it’s just one series of bad luck events.

And when your’re among the TOP 10 Coaches in college basketball and you can’t make the NCAA tournament more than once in four seasons, with the fifth season ahead looking like another blank, you should be fired. And when you are consistently ranked in the 100’s and registering losing season after losing season you should be refunding some of that money on the way

Reaction Score
That's yet to be determined. His first 2 years with a healthy veteran group say otherwise. Hisfirst year when there was nothing to play for followed by winning a title while taking down some of the best coaches in the game actually shows he is/ was a good coach
How many times can you watch an inept offense?

Reaction Score
I thought that team underachieved. What is your point? That Calhoun had a bad season coaching? There's a mitigating factor in that particular season. Jim Calhoun reveals he had cancer surgery in May He didn't have several crap fests in a row like Ollie has.
Ollie also had several life changing events the past few years. Ollie's mom was diagnosed with cancer and soon after his wife filed for divorce. Some people never recovers from PTSD but I believe Ollie will pull through this. I think he will be given next season to steady the ship. Now I do believe if things doesn't change dramatically next season he will be ask to resign.

Reaction Score
How many times can you watch an inept offense?
It's the same offense most coaches run in the NBA. Unfortunately we don't have the same number of skill players at every position like the NBA teams. Maybe this is what he is trying to sell to recruits and he doesn't plan on changing his offense. Position less skill players running pro sets. Should he change his offense he probably thinks it's defeating his recruiting strategy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom