Question for this Board | The Boneyard

Question for this Board

Reaction Score
Did anyone really thought we were going to dominate this season? Did anyone expected us to dominate this season because of tradition and NOT talent?

After last season ended, we had a mass exodus of players transferred, our top recruit MAL decommited. Our top target Hamidou Diallo shun us and left us at the altar. Sid Wilson choosed St. John's over us. PEOPLE the sky was falling, it looked like we were going to struggle to put 5 players on the court this season much less talented players. If KO was to be fired it should have been done after the mass exodus of transfers and loosing Diallo and Sid.
At this time, firing Ollie is NOT the answer. He will have some real talent to work with next season. Akinjo, Wilson, Matthews, Kisunas, healthy Gilbert, Whaley, healthy Diarra, Polley and Vital is a really athletic and talented group. I hope Adams come back and we are able to get another diamond in the rough shooting or combo guard. Larrier can turn pro.
Should Ollie be fired at the end of the season, we will have a mass exodus of transfers again and Akinjo and Matthews will not be coming here. We will be rebuilding for the next 3 years.

Reaction Score

That's yet to be determined. His first 2 years with a healthy veteran group say otherwise. Hisfirst year when there was nothing to play for followed by winning a title while taking down some of the best coaches in the game actually shows he is/ was a good coach

Reaction Score
At least he was just good enough to win us a National Championship. Ollie's coaching is predicated on NBA sets and 1 on 1 mismatches and put the ball in your best players hand to make a play. Unfortunately we don't have the talent right now to win with this philosophy. He hasn't made the adjustment but even if he did I don't think it would make a huge difference. As it is, we just don't have enough talented players on this team.

Reaction Score
That's yet to be determined. His first 2 years with a healthy veteran group say otherwise. Hisfirst year when there was nothing to play for followed by winning a title while taking down some of the best coaches in the game actually shows he is/ was a good coach
He's had four years to prove he can successfully run a Division 1 team, the failure has been resounding.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll bite. Recruits are just gonna flock to a program that missed the NCAA tourney three of the last four years, had two straight losing seasons, has one NCAA win in four years, has had a bunch of kids leave/decommit (You don't think recruits wonder why?) and has as a coach who's checked out. Oh, and the winters in Storrs are just lovely. All of this is more likely to cause recruits to bail or not even entertain coming here than from KO getting fired. Remember a few years ago when UCONN was on tons of top recruits' final three? Even though we didn't get them, we were at least in the game. That doesn't happen anymore. Now we scrounge the junior college and grad transfer circuit to fill our roster.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
No, and no.
But Jay, Hoop ain’t Football. 2-3 great recruits in 1 year, adequate coaching, and a program is back. Not 3 years. These ain’t good players, and they ain’t adequately coached.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll bite. Recruits are just gonna flock to a program that missed the NCAA tourney three of the last four years, had two straight losing seasons, has one NCAA win in four years, has had a bunch of kids leave/decommit (You don't think recruits wonder why?) and has as a coach who's checked out. Oh, and the winters in Storrs are just lovely. All of this is more likely to cause recruits to bail or not even entertain coming here than from KO getting fired. Remember a few years ago when UCONN was on tons of top recruits' final three? Even though we didn't get them, we were at least in the game. That doesn't happen anymore. Now we scrounge the junior college and grad transfer circuit to fill our roster.
One of my favorite things about the Ollie sycophants is how they blame others for all the upheaval and turnover the program has had and they are now claiming we will have stability going forward. Like there is any way there won't be more upheaval and exodus at the end of this season.

Reaction Score
I remember when Kevin was first named the head coach in 2012. The roster was in shambles and somebody askward Manuel how to judge Kevin's coaching the first yr since everyone was expecting a 10-20 record. He answered that besides there r other stuff to assess besides the record. How hard r the kids playing n the APR scores. The answer was apparent within 10 games n Kevin got the extension at the Washington game. I have a freaking question. If the 2012-13 team was expected to lose big with a roster like Napier, Boatright, Daniels n no front court. How do we expect the 17-18 to do. I think the biggest issue is our high expectations. This yr is about what I expect and the 18-19 yr will be better.

Reaction Score
He's had four years to prove he can successfully run a Division 1 team, the failure has been resounding.
so the next coach gets 4 years? and then we get superjohn, super fan... fire coach... posts again?
Do you promise not to post fire the next coach for four years? I might jump on your banwagon if you promise we don't have to read this stuff for four years. It might be worth it. My guess is you would only give the new guy one year.

Reaction Score
I remember when Kevin was first named the head coach in 2012. The roster was in shambles and somebody askward Manuel how to judge Kevin's coaching the first yr since everyone was expecting a 10-20 record. He answered that besides there r other stuff to assess besides the record. How hard r the kids playing n the APR scores. The answer was apparent within 10 games n Kevin got the extension at the Washington game. I have a freaking question. If the 2012-13 team was expected to lose big with a roster like Napier, Boatright, Daniels n no front court. How do we expect the 17-18 to do. I think the biggest issue is our high expectations. This yr is about what I expect and the 18-19 yr will be better.

pretty much spot on.. At the start of the season we were an NIT team on paper and any chance of being a tourney team would rely on JA, TL and AG having great seasons.

Reaction Score
No, and no.
But Jay, Hoop ain’t Football. 2-3 great recruits in 1 year, adequate coaching, and a program is back. Not 3 years. These ain’t good players, and they ain’t adequately coached.

Who do you think is going to replace Ollie and bring in your 2-3 great program changing players????

Watch out cause everyone might very well be begging for a season like the last 2 in the future..The AD better have a Serious Coach lined up... If not we are screwed.. A bad hire or failure and we will be in a 5x worse situation than we are in now..

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
To answer your main question: no, not really. But the problem is voicing that opinion here is essentially inbox-suicide and really doesn't get the conversation anywhere besides giving the resident clowns here inside jokes to snicker about in the post-game threads after 20 point blowouts. #SJclan #gtcam #arby's

Reaction Score
I say Sally's but a lot of people here would argue Pepe's.

Sally's by a smidge but sometimes I need Pepe's white clam. Modern earns points for sure.

You need at least 3 all star pizza joints in a town surrounded by quality supporting pie places to be in the national conversation....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
To answer your main question: no, not really. But the problem is voicing that opinion here is essentially inbox-suicide and really doesn't get the conversation anywhere besides giving the resident clowns here inside jokes to snicker about in the post-game threads after 20 point blowouts. #SJclan #gtcam #arby's

#Triggered #Snowflake

Reaction Score
I was banking on our big 3 carrying us and the new guys to be serviceable. Well we only have 1.5 of the big 3 and the new guys are underwhelming.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I just wanted about 20- 22 wins when the entire season ended. That's all. Just enough to keep the 2018 recruits committed.

Reaction Score
I wasn't on this message board during the 2011-2012 season when we finished 20-14 but can someone tell me what was the reaction Like during that season.
We finished 20-14, with this roster and the legendary Coach Calhoun at the helm.

G 11 Ryan Boatright 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) 165 lb (75 kg) Fr Aurora, IL

F/C 25 Michael Bradley 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m) 235 lb (107 kg) RS Fr Chattanooga, TN

F 2 DeAndre Daniels 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 191 lb (87 kg) Fr Woodland Hills, CA

C 12 Andre Drummond 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m) 275 lb (125 kg) Fr Middletown, CT

G/F 5 Niels Giffey 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 210 lb (95 kg) So Berlin, Germany

G/F 3 Jeremy Lamb 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) 185 lb (84 kg) So Norcross, GA

G 13 Shabazz Napier 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) 170 lb (77 kg) So Randolph, MA

F 10 Tyler Olander 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) 225 lb (102 kg) So Mansfield, CT

F/C 34 Alex Oriakhi 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) 240 lb (109 kg) Jr Lowell, MA

F 22 Roscoe Smith 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m) 205 lb (93 kg) So Baltimore, MD

C 1 Enosch Wolf 7 ft 1 in (2.16 m)

Reaction Score
Did anyone really thought we were going to dominate this season? Did anyone expected us to dominate this season because of tradition and NOT talent?

After last season ended, we had a mass exodus of players transferred, our top recruit MAL decommited. Our top target Hamidou Diallo shun us and left us at the altar. Sid Wilson choosed St. John's over us. PEOPLE the sky was falling, it looked like we were going to struggle to put 5 players on the court this season much less talented players. If KO was to be fired it should have been done after the mass exodus of transfers and loosing Diallo and Sid.
At this time, firing Ollie is NOT the answer. He will have some real talent to work with next season. Akinjo, Wilson, Matthews, Kisunas, healthy Gilbert, Whaley, healthy Diarra, Polley and Vital is a really athletic and talented group. I hope Adams come back and we are able to get another diamond in the rough shooting or combo guard. Larrier can turn pro.
Should Ollie be fired at the end of the season, we will have a mass exodus of transfers again and Akinjo and Matthews will not be coming here. We will be rebuilding for the next 3 years.
Good lord!!! Did you expect them to be ranked here at this point in the season?
156 Canisius MAAC
157 Connecticut Amer
158 Jacksonville St.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44