Question for the Huskie fans... | The Boneyard

Question for the Huskie fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
why aren't you lobbying for UMASS to join the Big East? It would instantly renew the football rivalry from the old 1AA days plus I would think Uconn would want to help their transition to FBS like BC did for Uconn when UCONN was making the transition.
Makes sense, no?

Reaction Score
Woops, you are right.
care to reapond to the question, though?

Reaction Score
Because at this stage, with TCU out, any addition to the BE needs to be an established FB program. Even if only a top 40-70 type team.

Personally, if this were a different time and the BE wasn't in jeopardy of losing BCS AQ status, I'd be all for UMass.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UMass is a completely dead-end program.

Reaction Score
BC didn't "help" UConn. The Huskies were required to play all Big East football teams on the road once before their official inclusion in the football conference.

Reaction Score
If one day UMass becomes a decent FBS program (and gets their basketball in order) think most UConn fans would be supportive. We don't have small balls like BC.

Right now however, the BE needs teams that can come right in and be competitive.

Reaction Score
If one day UMass becomes a decent FBS program (and gets their basketball in order) think most UConn fans would be supportive. We don't have small balls like BC.
BC has balls? That's news.

Yesterday, UMass struggled against limited scholarship Central. No, not Florida. UMass finally pulled away, but it was 28-26 or so at one point. However, UMass needs to win a few more games so they'll hang on to their current coach. ;)

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Because most of the posters on this board would rather wallow in the collapse of the program than support a single realistic solution for salvaging it.

Ummm...adding UMASS will not help in any sort of way of salvaging the BE.

Reaction Score
why aren't you lobbying for UMASS to join the Big East? It would instantly renew the football rivalry from the old 1AA days plus I would think Uconn would want to help their transition to FBS like BC did for Uconn when UCONN was making the transition.
Makes sense, no?

1. What rivalry?
2. BC never helped us.
3. No, it doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
1. What rivalry?

There is potential for a huge rivalry with UMASS, huge. In the 90's there was an enormous basketball rivalry and we never played them. If you don't remember this then I assume you are either a teenager or just recently moved to the Northeast.

Reaction Score

You might be overestimating the ball size of many UCONN fans who don't want to share their recruiting base with UMASS. Many UCONN fans treat UMASS the way BC treats UCONN and for the same reason, fear.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that what happened with UMass' basketball program is evidence that there is little reason to look at UMass as a potential rival until the day arrives when they have fully demonstrated they can be a rival.

Having a stray good team here or there, pulling an occasional upset does not a program make. We are not in a position where we can claim our football program should be a rival to (for example) Penn St. UMass has done nothing yet to demonstrate they could or should be a rival of ours in a revenue sport.

Reaction Score
If you can't support UMass moving up, you have no right to complain when BC blocks UConn from the ACC. What did UConn accomplish in football before moving to IA/FBS? Nothing. When I was there UMass kicked our ass in football every year. They would beat the Huskies this year. Hypocrites.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lmao.

UConn is an a BCS conference for football. And has won 3 national championships in hoops. Why would we want some transitioning FCS program, that sucks in hoops and has no fan support? Yeah, its exactly the same as BC blocking UCONN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love when the BC trolls start getting a whiff of bad press and come on the board with silly hypotheticals. It means that their thought process is "oh Mean Gene really blew it with that quote." In that at least, I think they are right.

UConn agreed to played UMass in MBB until there was no fan interest. The games were laughers, much like UConn /BC games but they gave UMass considerable exposure when it was really needed, right after Calipari left. Unlike Boston College, the University of Connecticut isn't afraid to play other New England teams. It's a character thing.

Reaction Score
There is potential for a huge rivalry with UMASS, huge. In the 90's there was an enormous basketball rivalry and we never played them. If you don't remember this then I assume you are either a teenager or just recently moved to the Northeast.

Basketball and Football are two different things.

Reaction Score
If UMASS has similar fan support like UCONN with a football stadium suitable for BCS play, I would welcome them into the BE in a sec.

Reaction Score
You might be overestimating the ball size of many UCONN fans who don't want to share their recruiting base with UMASS. Many UCONN fans treat UMASS the way BC treats UCONN and for the same reason, fear.

If true, that's sad and we really have no right to chastise BC for their antics.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you can't support UMass moving up, you have no right to complain when BC blocks UConn from the ACC. What did UConn accomplish in football before moving to IA/FBS? Nothing. When I was there UMass kicked our ass in football every year. They would beat the Huskies this year. Hypocrites.
???????????????????????

BC using what little power they have to keep a school that a) made BC's men's hoops program their doormat for the last sixteen years the two were in the same conference and b) is coming off a BCS bowl game (something BC has not been able to accomplish) is not equal to believing that an at best above average FCS football program and (for better than a decade) mediocre mid-major men's hoops program needs to prove a bit more than what they have to date before warranting discussion as a member of a BCS conference.

You can stop your charade as nobody here believes that you are either a fan or graduare of UConn.

Reaction Score
Umass football owned Uconn and Calhoun ducked Calipari untiul he was forced into playing him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Umass football owned Uconn and Calhoun ducked Calipari untiul he was forced into playing him.

What a load of crap. UMass never owned anybody. All time series UMass leads, 36-33-2. UConn won 6 of the last 10. I would say that UConn wasn't too thrilled with UMass hiring, I mean illegally recruiting, Marcus Camby. Used to work with his dad Bob Camby. Biggest UConn fan I ever met, this was after Marcus went to UMass. Nobody ducked Calimari, but why play the scumbag when he's such an obvious scumbag?

That said, If they were ready to make the jump now, rather than in 3 years or so, I would add them. The same is true of Delaware, which can correctly claim an outstanding 1-AA/FCS football history, which neither UConn or UMass can. The problem is timing. It will take a few years for UMass or Delaware to make the jump, and the BE clock strikes midnight when Pitt and Cuse leave in 27 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom