Question for the “I hate fouling at the end of games” crowd | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question for the “I hate fouling at the end of games” crowd

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's why I think the rule change should be to allow them to elect possession instead of FTs. Just like declining a penalty in football.

But then a team with possession and up 4/5 with say 45 sec would damn near automatically win. Just keep selecting possession every time. Unless there is a steal, game over.

Say you didn't reset the shot clock, that would still be an automatic bleed of 30 sec. It would make so much of college basketball less dramatic. Buzzer beaters are half the fun in MCBB, especially in the tournament.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
When I watch or go to a game, I'm there for enjoyment. Personally, I love the thrill of those last 2 minutes. It's a different wrinkle to the game we don't always get to see.

Yep, you remove 80% of the drama of close games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
But then a team with possession and up 4/5 with say 45 sec would damn near automatically win. Just keep selecting possession every time. Unless there is a steal, game over.

Say you didn't reset the shot clock, that would still be an automatic bleed of 30 sec. It would make so much of college basketball less dramatic. Buzzer beaters are half the fun in MCBB, especially in the tournament.
So it’s be football

Reaction Score

I think it would create a hectic end of game situation with even more fouls and more questionable calls. Essentially the team up by 4 or 5 might have to inbound the ball 10-15 times in 40 seconds. It would create situations where the other team will continually hold/grab to force a steal with an uncalled foul. You’d be forcing officials to call 10 or 15 fouls in a very short period of time because there would be no change of possession if no free throws are shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm ok with that. Win the game when the game is still going on. Steal the ball or force a miss. I hate the parade of foul, free throw, foul free throws. It's boring and takes too long.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm ok with that. Win the game when the game is still going on. Steal the ball or force a miss. I hate the parade of foul, free throw, foul free throws. It's boring and takes too long.

Then it turns into pro football, where it burns out the clock. Buzzer beaters or buzzer attempts become far more rare. End of game scenarios would become more boring than not. Removes a lot of drama from the game.

jmo tho

Reaction Score
I hate fouling at the end of a game unless UConn does it andvthe opponent misses, we get the rebound and hit critical shots to win. Or we get fouled and make the foul shots to ice it. Any other time it sucks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Give each team 20 minutes of possession per game go to half time when one team reaches 10. Fouling stops the offenses clock. Loose balls or lack of clear possession following a turnover don't count.

Game ends when the losing teams clock runs out.

They should do this for football (30 mins) and baseball as well (27 at bats per team)

Reaction Score
This is not a rational take, in my opinion. A team's job is to do anything within the rules of the game to win. You can coach your teams to do whatever you like, but I prefer that the teams for whom I root win all winnable games, as opposed to taking some arbitrary high road according to someone's unwritten rules.

... Wait, you're not Dan Hurley, are you?

Oh it's absolutely not rational. I understand that. Bush league might not the right term to use.

I don't like intentional walks either. I guess I'm just one of those guys.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's why I think the rule change should be to allow them to elect possession instead of FTs. Just like declining a penalty in football.

double bonus should be one shot and the ball. end game fixed.

or elam ending if you actually like sports.

anything but the cbb death march they have today

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Then it turns into pro football, where it burns out the clock. Buzzer beaters or buzzer attempts become far more rare. End of game scenarios would become more boring than not. Removes a lot of drama from the game.

jmo tho

Not really. Those inbounds plays and the attempt to steal are exciting. Remember those could keep happening. Or maybe you’d choose to shoot the FTs. But if a team down 10 with a minute to go always loses, good. They should.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I hate fouling at the end of a game unless UConn does it... and the opponent misses... and we get the rebound... and hit critical shots to win.

Or, unless we get fouled and make the foul shots to ice it.

Any other time, it sucks.

FIFY, but only to make your post clearer.

Why?

Because I often disagree with you, and this time I agree.

And I believe that others feel this way too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A team's job is to do anything within the rules of the game to win.
But you go in to advocate intentional fouling. That's not within the rules of the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom