Question for Celtics (or NBA) Fans | The Boneyard

Question for Celtics (or NBA) Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pete Vescey's column today had this:

Well, according to one pretty piped-in informer, it (Rondo-Paul trade) was a done deal until CP3 Knixed it by refusing to sign an extension.

A second source with intimate knowledge of the proposition took a long pause when asked about its validity before saying, “That’s very interesting.”

After another long pause, he declared, “Danny is one of the most cunning guys that I’ve dealt with in the NBA.”
Can anyone tell me what this means? Does it mean that Ainge was the one that leaked it was "done deal"? If so, to what end? I don't get it.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
No clue what that means.

But I'm glad that both Danny and Doc came forward though and said they believe in Rondo and he's "their guy." A lot of GMs would probably let all this just blow over, resulting in a disgruntled player (particularly Rondo, who is somewhat sensitive).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No clue what that means.

But I'm glad that both Danny and Doc came forward though and said they believe in Rondo and he's "their guy." A lot of GMs would probably let all this just blow over, resulting in a disgruntled player (particularly Rondo, who is somewhat sensitive).

Yeah, but didn't Ainge look to trade Rondo before, a few off-season's ago?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

He did ... which resulted in some drama among Rondo (who took it a little too personally) and the staff. That's why I was happy to see them re-affirm their belief in Rondo as one of the top point guards in the league and him being "their guy" regardless of whether or not they intended on making the CP3 trade.

Reaction Score
Until Chris Paul gets traded somewhere I don't think the affirmations from Ainge mean anything b/c Rondo can be traded for Chris Paul. Its a tautology that Rondo is tradeable and won't react well to trade rumors (his inability to handle is part of why he's expendable).

I love Rondo as a player for THIS Celtics team, but imagine him as the sole foundation without Garnett, Allen and Pierce (say they are rebuilding next year and trade PP). Rondo doesn't seem to have the mental makeup to be a foundation guy and without those 3 vets defenses would be so packed in against the Celtics that Rondo's effectiveness would disintegrate.

Rumors are New Orleans wants either Eric Gordon or Seth Curry for CP3. I'd definitely make that trade if I'm the Clippers. GState is a little tougher as I don't know if Ellis and Paul is a good or viable backcourt (both need ball to be effective) - but I'd still do it because Chris Paul is way better than Seth Curry.
Then Rondo and Green for Paul is also a good trade and probably makes New Orleans the most for this year. Even so I think I'd take Eric Gordon for long term upside. Do not take Bynum from the Lakers - that's putting all of your eggs in an oft injured basket.

Reaction Score
Until Chris Paul gets traded somewhere

It seems as if the league doesn't want it to happen. If they are blocking the trade made yesterday, what trade would be good enough to satisfy the Dan Gilberts of the world?

Reaction Score
It seems as if the league doesn't want it to happen. If they are blocking the trade made yesterday, what trade would be good enough to satisfy the Dan Gilberts of the world?
Answer: NONE
Only satisfactory conclusion is NBA rules that make it so financially beneficial for a player to stay put that he has no choice. But even that's impossible so the only thing that will make the whiny DGsOTW happy is for another owner to join their legion of the miserable. Problem is there is no owner of New Orleans, its owned by the league. And Paul doesn't want to resign on a going nowhere team under any circumstances. So I think the only rational outcome post veto-screw-up is for the league to contract New Orleans after the season.

Reaction Score
Its all a moot point. Chris Paul has no interest in anything other than signing with the Knicks next season. The answer for the NBA is to have free agent compensation. You sign a major player in free agency, the original team gets your first round pick. Done.

Reaction Score
NBA is now a joke. Let's only trade the "stars" to where they want to go..................funny man..............wish they didn't make the deal would have been no loss except for the greedy bastards!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NBA is now a joke.

You're right. It's now official. Players just come right out and admit that they won't be playing hard every game this year. It's going to be nothing but a glorified exhibition season. I watch for the competition, games that don't count don't interest me. (Exceptions - UConn MBB and the soccer USMNT)

Reaction Score
The ironic thing is the Clippers might even be going somewhere now that they have a beast on the team in Blake Griffin and having added Chris Paul, Caron, and now Chauncey Billups.

Reaction Score

Well that was when Rondo wasn't Rondo and we were all shaking our heads fearing for the future of our team - if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
Pete Vescey's column today had this:

Well, according to one pretty piped-in informer, it (Rondo-Paul trade) was a done deal until CP3 Knixed it by refusing to sign an extension.

A second source with intimate knowledge of the proposition took a long pause when asked about its validity before saying, “That’s very interesting.”

After another long pause, he declared, “Danny is one of the most cunning guys that I’ve dealt with in the NBA.”
Can anyone tell me what this means? Does it mean that Ainge was the one that leaked it was "done deal"? If so, to what end? I don't get it.

Just a guess - but it's possible the guy was suggesting that Ainge leaked that info so if the current nucleus proves to be too old this year and he gets criticism for not breaking up the core for some younger talent, he could say that he had Chris Paul but for some bad luck. Perhaps the deal was never really on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom