Question about rankings | The Boneyard

Question about rankings

Reaction Score
So with Paige and Azziz coming off injuries and Piath having surgery. What will Uconn be ranked on Day 1?.

Reaction Score
Many of our fellow posters, in an apparent effort to emulate Notre Dame fans, get their noses out of joint whenever our favorite team fails to “merit” a top ranking in the polls. Respectfully, I think this is a nutty attitude. Polls have no meaning, and are reliable predictors of nothing, as Arizona so effectively demonstrated last season. The only poll with any credibility is the one that comes out about the second week of April. Prior to that, our team’s ranking is a matter of total indifference, at least to me…

Reaction Score
Stanford, UConn, South Carolina in that order pre-season is my guess.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Pre season polls are fun for about 5 minutes, then like the fallen hair from my head it gets swept up and thrown away. Oh, Oh, I know, it gives us on the BY a thread to chew on when we are about to bust waiting for the first game.

Reaction Score
As many have mentioned, there is a pretty obvious top three, but I think maybe Maryland might warrant making that a top 4. It is ridiculous that on ESPN's brackets they still show Baylor as the 4th number 1 seed. Regardless Paige, Azzi and Piath's health only moves the needle if they are not ready for training camp IMO.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
UCONN, SC, Stanford in that order.

Stanford loses Anna Wilson and Lexi and Lacey Hull (unless they come back for their extra free year, which they well may do).
Are you talking about 2022-23?
Anna (and Alyssa Jerome) is back for another year and the Hull's are starting their senior year this coming school year.

W

wolfe613

UCONN, SC, Stanford in that order.

Stanford loses Anna Wilson and Lexi and Lacey Hull (unless they come back for their extra free year, which they well may do).
so many wrongs in this post,Wilson returns using her extra yr of eligibility

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
To tag on, Stanford loses Kiana Williams from last year. I believe that is it. Not a small loss, but A LOT coming back, plus adding another strong recruiting class. The 'Furd ain't going away any time soon!

Looked at their roster on line. While none of them will necessarily replace Williams, they get back Jenna Brown from a RS year and Jordan Hamilton as a grad transfer from Northwestern to bolster their guard rotation.

W

wolfe613

To tag on, Stanford loses Kiana Williams from last year. I believe that is it. Not a small loss, but A LOT coming back, plus adding another strong recruiting class. The 'Furd ain't going away any time soon!

Looked at their roster on line. While none of them will necessarily replace Williams, they get back Jenna Brown from a RS year and Jordan Hamilton as a grad transfer from Northwestern to bolster their guard rotation.
Yep I would put Stanford #1 out of respect to ntl title but also experience, #2 Sc #3 Uconn

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They can start out at #300...as long as they end #1.
Question spawned by this remark.

What lowest initially ranked team finished season ranked #1 and what is the lowest final ranking team of a team which opened #1

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Rankings are part of the game. The progression through the scheduled season is much more interesting if you follow the Ups and Downs of the ranked teams.
No, the #1 ranked team doesn't always win the National Championship, but it's ALWAYS fun to have your favorite team in that position!

Reaction Score
So with Paige and Azzi coming off injuries and Piath having surgery. What will Uconn be ranked on Day 1?.
I'd put UConn 3rd but I suspect voters will put them 2 or 1.

Reaction Score
Question spawned by this remark.

What lowest initially ranked team finished season ranked #1 and what is the lowest final ranking team of a team which opened #1

Champs NonTop 5 Preseason

2018: # 6 Notre Dame
2011: # 8 TAMU
2006:#14 Maryland
2005: # 8 Baylor
2001: # 6 Notre Dame
1996: # 6 Tenn

1994: # 9 UNC
1993:#15 Texas Tech
1992: # 7 Stanford
1991: # 6 Tenn
[aiaw:]
1979: # 6 ODU

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I expect preseason rankings to be Stanford 1, UCONN 2, SC 3.

But if I were to do a preseason I would have SC as 1, 2nd UCONN, 3rd Stanford.

IMO UCONN's floor is below the other 2 but the ceiling is higher than both- so I split the difference and put them as 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom