Quentin Snider's Recruitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quentin Snider's Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand the pessimism, we're most likely gonna get an official visit from all 3 guys, who are all considering very similar schools, so I like to think that it is likely that we get at least 1.

The pessimism has nothing to do with the AAC. It's because there's a decent chance the two west coast point guards stay out west. That leaves Snider and while he's had some good things to say about Uconn, he gets 5 new scholarship offers every day now that he's opened it back up.

H

Huskyfan23

During KOs first year recruiting in the AAC he has pulled in 2 5 star recruits and it's not even mid August yet, there is no evidence that the AAC will be detrimental to recruiting.
Oh really who are these 2 five star recruits that you speak of? All I and the rest of the entire college basketball community know of are Hamilton{a bona fide 5 star recruit} and Purvis{ a 4 star transfer that averaged 8pts, 1assist, and 2 rbs and struggled in the 2nd half and eventually lost his job at NC ST}

Reaction Score
Oh really who are these 2 five star recruits that you speak of? All I and the rest of the entire college basketball community know of are Hamilton{a bona fide 5 star recruit} and Purvis{ a 4 star transfer that averaged 8pts, 1assist, and 2 rbs and struggled in the 2nd half and eventually lost his job at NC ST}

Purvis was a 5 star on Scout and Rivals

Reaction Score
Purvis was rated a 5 star by Rivals and Scout and was the first 4 star recruit by ESPN.

Reaction Score

caw

Reaction Score

Well you named one of the two and called him a bonafide 5 star recruit yourself. That would be Daniel Hamilton.

Rodney Purvis 4 star or 5 star?

Let's look at the three main recruiting services in 2012.
Rivals had him #12 and a 5 star.
Scout had him #18 and a 5 star.
ESPN had him #20 and a 4 star. #1 through #19 were 5 stars for ESPN, so he was quite literally the highest ranked 4 star and one position from being a 5 star on ESPN.

I'd say that he was a five star and it's being very disingenuous not to include him as one.

Now as for stats: Purvis averaged 8.3, 2.4, 1.3 in 25.5 minutes at 44/51/39

Just for fun:
#4 SG Archie Goodwin averaged 14.1, 4.6, 2.7in 31.8 minutes at 44/64/27
#3 SG Rasheed Sulaimon averaged 11.6, 3.4, 1.9 in 29.2 minutes 42/80/37
#2 SG Gary Harris averaged 12.9, 2.5, 1.4 in 29.7 minutes 46/76/41
#1 SG Marcus Smart averaged 15.4, 5.8, 4.2 in 33.5 minutes at 40/78/29

So yes, Purvis was below those four for raw production.

The rest of the SG's in 2012 in the top 100. I think you may be able to argue based on very basic statistics that Calhoun and Dunham outperformed Purvis, but I don't think you could really argue any other player.

#6 was Ricky Ledo so DNP
#7 was Omar Calhoun, you should be well acquainted with
#8 was Kaitin Reihnhart who transferred from UNLV after averaging 10, 2, 2.5 in 29.2 minutes on 36/89/35
#9 was Montay Brandon who averaged 3.9, 1.8, 1.4
#10 was D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera who averaged 8.9, 3 and 1.4
#11 was Jordan Price at 5.4, 1.8, .9
#12 was Gabe York at 2.4, .3, .6
#13 was Kellen Dunham at 9.5, 2.8, 1.1
#14 was Codi Miller-McIntyre at 8.1, 2.7, 2.6
#15 was Melvin Johnson at 6.9, 1.5, 1
#16 was Rapheal Davis at 5.7, 3.9, .9
#17 was Torian Graham DNP

Finally, Purvis lost his spot because of his FT shooting. It was a legitimate concern. He has a year to work on it. One would hope he improves.http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/96908/rapheal-davis

Reaction Score
Purvis was an absolute stud of a recruit. Had we landed him out of high school, we would have all been doing cartwheels. The fact that he was a bit underwhelming as a freshman while playing on a disfunctional team (and for Mark Gottfried) needs to be weighed against the fact that he will effectively be a college junior with a full year of practicing in Ollie's system by the time he suits up for us.

Reaction Score
not gonna pretend to be a scout or a recruiting guru, and highlight videos aren't the true judge of talent, but I went thru about 5 vids now that he's on our radar and his game just looks ordinary. in the words of Cam'ron, he's got a basic game. with guys ranked where he is you expect more to jump out at you on tape.

This statement can apply to our own coach. Coach never overwhelmed anyone with talent or skills for that matter. I think any point guard with potential will develop well having Ollie as a coach.

This kid looks to like he wants to be a pure point guard. If that's the case all he will need to do is distribute, lead, play defense and minimize turnovers (ball handling/passing). The clips I saw were of a 17-18 year old kid, which will change in a couple of years. What I did see was a confident ball handler who likes to get others involved. This could be a 3-5 star recruit it doesn't matter. Taliek wasn't the best but he got us to the promise land.

I think he would thrive if surrounded by talented players, making others better, which is perfect for that position in college.

Reaction Score

You have to take into account that Gottfried is an awful coach who really sucks with a basketball IQ of 72 and who is bad and who is not good.

caw

Reaction Score
You have to take into account that Gottfried is an awful coach who really sucks with a basketball IQ of 72 and who is bad and who is not good.

72 may be high for him.

Reaction Score

You're right......if I were you I would find another college program to root for.......

We're Doooommmmeeed!!

Reaction Score
Well you named one of the two and called him a bonafide 5 star recruit yourself. That would be Daniel Hamilton.

Rodney Purvis 4 star or 5 star?

Let's look at the three main recruiting services in 2012.
Rivals had him #12 and a 5 star.
Scout had him #18 and a 5 star.
ESPN had him #20 and a 4 star. #1 through #19 were 5 stars for ESPN, so he was quite literally the highest ranked 4 star and one position from being a 5 star on ESPN.

I'd say that he was a five star and it's being very disingenuous not to include him as one.

Now as for stats: Purvis averaged 8.3, 2.4, 1.3 in 25.5 minutes at 44/51/39

Just for fun:
#4 SG Archie Goodwin averaged 14.1, 4.6, 2.7in 31.8 minutes at 44/64/27
#3 SG Rasheed Sulaimon averaged 11.6, 3.4, 1.9 in 29.2 minutes 42/80/37
#2 SG Gary Harris averaged 12.9, 2.5, 1.4 in 29.7 minutes 46/76/41
#1 SG Marcus Smart averaged 15.4, 5.8, 4.2 in 33.5 minutes at 40/78/29

So yes, Purvis was below those four for raw production.

The rest of the SG's in 2012 in the top 100. I think you may be able to argue based on very basic statistics that Calhoun and Dunham outperformed Purvis, but I don't think you could really argue any other player.

#6 was Ricky Ledo so DNP
#7 was Omar Calhoun, you should be well acquainted with
#8 was Kaitin Reihnhart who transferred from UNLV after averaging 10, 2, 2.5 in 29.2 minutes on 36/89/35
#9 was Montay Brandon who averaged 3.9, 1.8, 1.4
#10 was D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera who averaged 8.9, 3 and 1.4
#11 was Jordan Price at 5.4, 1.8, .9
#12 was Gabe York at 2.4, .3, .6
#13 was Kellen Dunham at 9.5, 2.8, 1.1
#14 was Codi Miller-McIntyre at 8.1, 2.7, 2.6
#15 was Melvin Johnson at 6.9, 1.5, 1
#16 was Rapheal Davis at 5.7, 3.9, .9
#17 was Torian Graham DNP

Finally, Purvis lost his spot because of his FT shooting. It was a legitimate concern. He has a year to work on it. One would hope he improves.

Great write-up, but the guy I keep going back to when I think of Rodney Purvis is Dion Waiters. Look at the similarities:

Waiters: Ranked 15th by ESPN in his class, 6'4", 210 lbs

Purvis: Ranked 21st by ESPN in his class, 6'4", 190 lbs (I'm sure he'll put on more muscle over the next fifteen months)

Both underwhelmed in their freshman years:

Waiters: 6.6 PPG, 1.6 RPG, 1.5 APG, 16.3 mpg, 41/33/81 shooting splits

Purvis: 8.3 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 1.3 APG, 25.6 MPG, 44/39/51 shooting splits

The brief scouting reports ESPN had on each:

Purvis - "Rodney is a slasher supreme. He is impossible to keep out of the lane at times. He is very strong and a very good athlete. His quickness, strength, size and solid handle allow him to get where ever he wants on the court, whenever he wants."

Waiters - "Waiters had a very efficient offensive game in his team's one sided win over Our Savior (PrimeTime Shootout). He got to the rim consistently north to south and carried his defender on his back in the quarter court. He finished explosively at the rim"

Aside from Waiters having a slightly more filled out body at his age, the similarities are striking. Each lost minutes their freshman year, each considered transferring (obviously Waiters stuck it out), and each has drawn parallels to Dwyane Wade. Both are evidently at their best in transition, and the common knocks on both following their freshman years were their jump shots, and their tendency to play out of control. The explosion each possesses, at roughly the same size, is well-documented. Oddly enough, Waiters may have been the best player on Syracuse's team his sophomore year (or at least their most talented) but he came off the bench. With Calhoun and Hamilton possibly playing the two and three next season, it wouldn't be shocking if Purvis played a similar role for us. I went back and re-watched the N.C. State game from early December, and Purvis was evidently ahead of Calhoun as a player - he finished at the rim with much more ease, didn't play too fast, and assaulted us in transition. The difference between Calhoun and Purvis, of course, was that UConn needed to rely on Calhoun for production whereas the composition of N.C. State's roster was much more veteran-oriented. I get the feeling they would have developed at completely different rates if Purvis had committed to UConn and Calhoun committed to N.C. State, but the point is I'm never concerned when the weaknesses of a player are fixable - we heard "out of control" and "inconsistent jump shot" ad nauseam Kemba's freshman and sophomore years and he turned out ok. I don't know if Purvis has the same drive or basketball intellect as Kemba, but I'm fairly confident in saying his ceiling is just as high.

caw

Reaction Score
If by filled out you mean fatter as a freshman, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom