Qudus Wahab | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Qudus Wahab

Reaction Score
Why does Wahab have a better list than Kofi? I just don't think Kofi grades out to be great defender in college, and you don't see old school back to basket big men any more.

Yeah this isn't true. Kofi has Kansas. Better than anyone on Wahab's list by a mile.

Does Kofi have the footspeed to defend mobile bigs? That's one thing I'm a bit concerned about from what I've read.

No. But the mobile bigs can't defend him.

And we can have Akok or Polley guard mobile bigs if it's bad enough we need to bench Cockburn.

Reaction Score
Does Kofi have the footspeed to defend mobile bigs? That's one thing I'm a bit concerned about from what I've read.

Perhaps not but its been a while since we've had a post player that could establish firm position down low on offense and make some back-to-the-basket moves. Defensively, he might not block a ton of shots, but he's not going to get backed down and he will clear the general neighborhood around him for rebounds. As some have pointed out, teaming him with a shot-blocker like Akok could provide the best of both worlds. I'm salivating at the possibility.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Perhaps not but its been a while since we've had a post player that could establish firm position down low on offense and make some back-to-the-basket moves. Defensively, he might not block a ton of shots, but he's not going to get backed down and he will clear the general neighborhood around him for rebounds. As some have pointed out, teaming him with a shot-blocker like Akok could provide the best of both worlds. I'm salivating at the possibility.

That would be great, but if he can't defend mobile 5s (which is what most bigs in the top programs are nowadays) then that's a serious problem, and it would take him scoring a TON in the low post to make up for his defensive deficiencies. Hopefully this isn't the case and he's able to play decent defense to stay on the court.

Reaction Score
We need toughness under the rim which is where Kofi comes in. Wahab is a better version of Brimah. Kofi reminds me of a less talented Shaq. Both would help us in our weakest position right now in terms of depth, IQ, and strength.

pj

Reaction Score
Brimah is a good comparison for Wahab. Hopefully Wahab would develop more than Brimah did and become a better version (and an NBA player).

Kofi would make this team an offensive juggernaut with a 4-out 1-in style, he's so big and wide that there would be no stopping the entry passes near the basket and he would be a layup machine, but if you double-team him, then a perimeter of Akok/Precious/Sid Wilson/Polley at forward and Alterique/Gaffney/Vital/Bouknight/BAdams at guard would get open shots and knock them down.

Defensively I think Wahab would be an improvement, but probably a modest one. If Sal can get Kofi's conditioning up he can be strong defensively. It makes sense that Kofi would be the #1 target.

If they all came, Wahab would be the #2 center after Kofi and should get plenty of minutes, and most of the minutes when defense is paramount. Maybe he believes in Hurley and UConn enough to give it a shot.

Reaction Score
Yeah this isn't true. Kofi has Kansas. Better than anyone on Wahab's list by a mile.

No. But the mobile bigs can't defend him.

And we can have Akok or Polley guard mobile bigs if it's bad enough we need to bench Cockburn.
Hate to be the one that breaks it to you: KU isn't really interested in Kofi.

Reaction Score
Do either hit free throws? I’m curious if anyone has any numbers as it’s such a detriment in close games to have to sit bigs in crunch time.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I'm sympathetic to your view, as Wahab looks potentially great defensively with his length and quickness, and Kofi's superior offense is less important as we'll have other scorers.

Both great prospects and I'll trust in the coaches.
Where are these other scorers? We have 0 big men that can score against good teams. Our scoring next year is going to come from vital, gilbert, polley maybe, and freshman where you never know what's going to happen. A scoring big man would is something Hurley would kill for this season.

Reaction Score
Brimah is a good comparison for Wahab. Hopefully Wahab would develop more than Brimah did and become a better version (and an NBA player).

Kofi would make this team an offensive juggernaut with a 4-out 1-in style, he's so big and wide that there would be no stopping the entry passes near the basket and he would be a layup machine, but if you double-team him, then a perimeter of Akok/Precious/Sid Wilson/Polley at forward and Alterique/Gaffney/Vital/Bouknight/BAdams at guard would get open shots and knock them down.

Defensively I think Wahab would be an improvement, but probably a modest one. If Sal can get Kofi's conditioning up he can be strong defensively. It makes sense that Kofi would be the #1 target.

If they all came, Wahab would be the #2 center after Kofi and should get plenty of minutes, and most of the minutes when defense is paramount. Maybe he believes in Hurley and UConn enough to give it a shot.

Maybe there's more tapes out there of Kofi playing against good big men, but the only ones I've seen here show him dominating little guys in several games and getting his shot blocked in another game by Akok.
If Akok is representative of the good big men Kofi will face in college, will he really be dominant?

Reaction Score
Maybe there's more tapes out there of Kofi playing against good big men, but the only ones I've seen here show him dominating little guys in several games and getting his shot blocked in another game by Akok.
If Akok is representative of the good big men Kofi will face in college, will he really be dominant?
Kofi makes big guys look like little guys lol.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wahab is still the guy for me because he looks like a four year guy we can build around. Has a reputation for defense and rebounding and will likely offer at least as much offense as we got from Jake in 99. Great to get Kofi, and I admit to knowing nothing about how all these various guys will fit together, but that is the question that comes to mind when I think of putting five highly touted guys on the floor together.

Will they work well together, will they complement one another, or will there be friction from everyone wanting to be the center of attention so they can go in the lottery? That's obviously what Hurley is paid to figure out and make happen but it's got to be tough to know when you're recruiting them. Maybe Geno has offered advice on how to discern what really motivates each player.

Man, a lot of people say this, and I just do not understand it. What you are saying is, you don't want to put the best talent you can on the floor because you are worried they won't fit together. Or worried they'll leave.

Not every kid is the same. Not every kid has a monstrous ego and absolutely requires being the man.

Hurley is paid to put the best talent on the floor and get them to work together. We want the best guys we can get, that fit our program profile. Obviously, you pass on a guy who might be talented, but you don't think you can work with.

But you don't grab guys of lesser talent, simply because you want them to stick around. That's a recipe for mediocrity.

Kofi would be a perfect fit for our team. A banger down low is our MOST glaring need. He's the perfect piece and I'm personally desperate to land him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No doubt. Way easier to lose that than gain it. He's lost some at oak hill for sure

People stress about the oddest things. He's not a fat slob. He's a big framed solid muscle player.

So many people being so counter-intuitive here. We've spent the last how many years complaining about our string beans down low, and now with a chance to land a monster, we don't want him anymore? What the hell

Reaction Score
This thread got really stupid, Kofi is the better prospect than Wahab and it isn't all that close.

Seems like a lot of preemptive rationalization that, if Cockburn goes elsewhere and we settle for Wahab, it's somehow a better outcome for us.

Despite the platitudes and romanticizing about "lunch-pail 4-year guys", what's going to get our program back to relevance nationally is, in fact, landing the big fish who make an impact right away, get drafted in the NBA, and signal to other top recruits that UConn is a destination program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom