QuayVAS? | The Boneyard

QuayVAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's hard for me to believe that there is nobody in ESPN's production that doesn't know Spanish. The proper pronunciation is QUAY-vas. It means caves. Strikes me as unprofessional.

Reaction Score
I noticed that too - found it a bit odd.

(to be nitpicky, I think it's more accurately "QWEH-vas" - the Spanish e is more like the e in 'Ben' than the a in 'Bay'. But close enough :D )

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to believe that there is nobody in ESPN's production that doesn't know Spanish. The proper pronunciation is QUAY-vas. It means caves. Strikes me as unprofessional.

He's done that in previous games. Makes me think that's how her family says it.

Reaction Score
Vowel guy, that's like someone saying their name is Garsha (rhymes with Marcia, Marcia, Marcia) instead of GarSIa. However, I will defer to however someone wishes the pronounciation of their name.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
maybe it was the same staff that kept butchering the Ogwumike name during the national team trials/exhib vs Canada?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

I'm hoping that when Minnesota plays on ESPN, they have a Swedish staffer to help with Amanda Zahui. Za weeee? Zowey? za hweee? Is that Swedish? She is from Stockholm.
Then they better have a Macedonian in house for Ivana Kmetovska , a Greek for Pinelopi Pavolopoulou , and a Romanian for Bianca Blanaru, when the Washington State women come to town.

Or, perhaps someone would check with each school's SID for pronunciations rather than count on in-house language mavens, who may not agree, as we do(n't) with Cuevas. With a phonetic crib sheet, announcers maybe wouldn't stumble over something like Deborah Kerr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that when Minnesota plays on ESPN, they have a Swedish staffer to help with Amanda Zahui. Za weeee? Zowey? za hweee? Is that Swedish? She is from Stockholm.

Then they better have a Macedonian in house for Ivana Kmetovska , a Greek for Pinelopi Pavolopoulou , and a Romanian for Bianca Blanaru, when the Washington State women come to town.

Or, perhaps someone would check with each school's SID for pronunciations rather than count on in-house language mavens, who may not agree, as we do(n't) with Cuevas. With a phonetic crib sheet, announcers maybe wouldn't stumble over something like Deborah Kerr.
Or perhaps just have announcers do the game who actually follow the 2 top teams in the sport and know how the players pronounce their names, instead of relying on a crib sheet.

Reaction Score

The Swedish Chef - Bork,bork,bork.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

And all this time I thought it was Cuervo...Hey Nineteen ..you nailed it.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Vowel guy, that's like someone saying their name is Garsha (rhymes with Marcia, Marcia, Marcia) instead of GarSIa. However, I will defer to however someone wishes the pronounciation of their name.
Marcia Marcia fo Farsha fee fi mo arsha Marsha (Or are my old bones showing?)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I advise all of you to watch more international pro tennis. You'll have lots of practice hearing foreign names.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom