Pushing start of season one month back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pushing start of season one month back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why not?

Right now, the preseason bumps against the NFL and college football and it gets worse in December.

Move everything back a month and slide the postseason into that April dead period. ("But baseball!" Please, no one gives a s--- about baseball in April.)

Reaction Score
Please do it.

I really dislike having to miss most of the early NFL games on Sundays because they schedule home games at noon on Sundays in December

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't see the powers that be messing with March Madness

Reaction Score
I like how BleacherReport app gave a news brief about this and then minutes later had to kind of rescind it by saying this isn't a plan to happen soon. Lowest common denominator BR viewers must have freaked out and taken to twitter

I doubt they will do this and I really hope they don't, my birthday is early April so the championship is always right around my birthday. I like being able to say all I want for my birthday is a UConn championship every few years

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Who's complaining? Never knew anything was remotely broken. There's got to be a money issue behind this.

That's funny, thinking the NCAA cares about the welfare of student-athletes.

You're both right.

This is about maximizing football and basketball revenue for the NCAA. The tournament already conflicts with midterm exams. I recall a CBS feature on the Washington Huskies where traveling tutors were trying to find a spot in the hotel to give Nate Robinson a test. Having the Tournament conflict with Finals or the lead up thereto is just a bad idea, especially if the NCAA wants to continue with the Student Welfare ruse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Over the past 20 years or so the season has moved up by about a month...go back to 1989 or so and it began basically the weekend after Thanksgiving. The "preseason" tournaments and there were only a few were played over thanksgiving and were the kickoff of the season. There were no pre-pre-season tourney games. In basically what was an everybody gets a trophy move the NCAA expanded the tournies, then the season because the Quinipiac level teams of the world were whining that they didn't get to go to them. I think moving back to a later start sort of start makes sense. Say the 4th Saturday in November.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is this pesky thing called "final exams"
. Lol, yeah like anyone cares. After all they have zero problem sending supposed student athletes 1500 miles away for a month in March where they attend no classes, have no direct interaction with the university they supposedly attend. lol. Worrying about exams actually made me spit out my coffee laughing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't care one way or the other cause I'll be watching no matter what. But that first change will be insufferable. One more month of separation between the NCAA tournament and the start of the "next season" would cause a number of Boneyarders to lose it altogether. It seems a number of us are barely making it to this season's first night.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Don't care one way or the other cause I'll be watching no matter what. But that first change will be insufferable. One more month of separation between the NCAA tournament and the start of the "next season" would cause a number of Boneyarders to lose it altogether. It seems a number of us are barely making it to this season's first night.
Diversity is not only recommended in your financial portfolio, it should also exist in your fandom. Go to a football game. Who knows? Your ticket my just push UConn over the edge in perception and propel them into a major conference.

Reaction Score
yeah why not? no compelling reasons enumerated as to why to change it or keep it as is. so go ahead and change it.

what really needs to be looked at is MLB's season. being the most boring, tedious sport in the history of broadcast TV that's ever existed, I'd like to see the schedule cut back to about 40 games played over June - August.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Finals week isn't a compelling reason?

Reaction Score
. Lol, yeah like anyone cares. After all they have zero problem sending supposed student athletes 1500 miles away for a month in March where they attend no classes, have no direct interaction with the university they supposedly attend. lol. Worrying about exams actually made me spit out my coffee laughing.

+1. The idea that final exams would be deemed an impediment to this plan is laughable.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Diversity is not only recommended in your financial portfolio, it should also exist in your fandom. Go to a football game. Who knows? Your ticket my just push UConn over the edge in perception and propel them into a major conference.
Not sure why you chose to reply to my post with this statement. It seems a non sequester. I live too far away to attend most games at UConn. It's the major detriment in moving away from Connecticut. I'm a UConn fan and follow a lot of the universities sports. I'll be watching the USF football game this Saturday. I watch women's bb and some of the other sports that SNY shows online.

I've suffered through the seasons post RE! My wife thinks I'm crazy sticking it out during those seasons and watching games until they end. I just tell her I've had many years being a fan of bad teams with losing seasons. It makes you tough (and stupid). I agree with you fan attendance is important in demonstrating to P5 UConn's value. So is viewing it via media.

Husky25

Reaction Score
March Madness lasts at most for 2 weekends & a Monday. Further, only 2 schools are affect for the entirety of the event. They only real disturbance is the first week/weekend. Teams playing on Thurs./Sat. leave campus Wednesday night and are home on Sunday. Fri/Sun. Teams travel Thursday Evening and are supposed to be back in class by Monday Afternoon.

That said, March Madness already interferes with midterms, which at most cover 1/2 semester worth of material. Finals are a different story. When I was in school, Finals were not taken during class. we were allotted two study days and Finals week took place over the next 9 days, weekends be damned.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not sure why you chose to reply to my post with this statement. It seems a non sequester. I live too far away to attend most games at UConn. It's the major detriment in moving away from Connecticut. I'm a UConn fan and follow a lot of the universities sports. I'll be watching the USF football game this Saturday. I watch women's bb and some of the other sports that SNY shows online.

I've suffered through the seasons post RE! My wife thinks I'm crazy sticking it out during those seasons and watching games until they end. I just tell her I've had many years being a fan of bad teams with losing seasons. It makes you tough (and stupid). I agree with you fan attendance is important in demonstrating to P5 UConn's value. So is viewing it via media.
I chose your post because you mentioned the number of boneyarders who would lose it all together. These same boneyarders are predominantly basketball-onlies (Yes, the pejorative tone is intended) who lament that there is nothing to do between September and November except create off-topic threads about pizza and ice cream, and then complain further that UConn doesn't play a decent conference schedule, as perceived on the national level..

Reaction Score
That said, March Madness already interferes with midterms, which at most cover 1/2 semester worth of material. Finals are a different story. When I was in school, Finals were not taken during class. we were allotted two study days and Finals week took place over the next 9 days, weekends be damned.

What D1 program were you playing for?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I chose your post because you mentioned the number of boneyarders who would lose it all together. These same boneyarders are predominantly basketball-onlies (Yes, the pejorative tone is intended) who lament that there is nothing to do between September and November except create off-topic threads about pizza and ice cream, and then complain further that UConn doesn't play a decent conference schedule, as perceived on the national level..
Got it! Doubt it changes many people. Some people are true to their beer, pizzas, woman and sports.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not sure why you chose to reply to my post with this statement. It seems a non sequester.
Yeah. We weren't going to sequester you. But that might work to increase football attendance.;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
What D1 program were you playing for?

I had to be playing for a D1 team to know that Finals are more important/a different animal than Midterms?

I had to be playing for a D1 team to know the timing of midterms falls in the second week of the Tourney?

I had to be playing for a D1 team to see the CBS feature on the Washington Huskies and Nate Robinson in 2004?

Introduce your straw man argument somewhere else.

We already know of the NCAA's hypocrisy. How they say a D1 Football playoff wouldn't work all those years because of 1st semester Finals. All the while THEY sponsor 3 week playoffs for Div. 1AA, 2 & 3. But if they want to keep up the ruse that they care about the student athlete, they won't shouldn't move the basketball tournament back a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom