Purvis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Corney's recruitment had a lot to do with UConn being invited to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Having been born at the beginning of the JC era, I have no memory of Corny Thompson. My first thought is that his name sounds like an old-timey baseball player from the 1880's. He and Cap Anson might have been best buds.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Corney's recruitment had a lot to do with UConn being invited to the Big East.

Not just his recruitment, his on-court play as a freshmen. UConn was THE hot team in New England. They looked to be a team on the come.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Having been born at the beginning of the JC era, I have no memory of Corny Thompson. My first thought is that his name sounds like an old-timey baseball player from the 1880's. He and Cap Anson might have been best buds.

He hurt himself by coming to UConn. His other 2 choices were Virginia (where he would have been the power forward Ralph Sampson never had) and North Carolina. He truly gave more than he got.

Reaction Score
No, not the first two names (Hazelton &Thompson) that jump in your mind when u think of our history, thats all......

You will need to rethink the Corny mention in this post!! He was a stud, back-to-the-basket, foul line jumper and short jumpers were money and he could rebound the basketball...........played against Corny in HS and the rest of the MHS squad, they were the best around for a while with he, Marshall, Muckle, the little dude - but Corny was the straw and a damn good one!! Stronger than it looked too because he was a bit "chubby" but quick and tough!

Reaction Score
You will need to rethink the Corny mention in this post!! He was a stud, back-to-the-basket, foul line jumper and short jumpers were money and he could rebound the basketball...........played against Corny in HS and the rest of the MHS squad, they were the best around for a while with he, Marshall, Muckle, the little dude - but Corny was the straw and a damn good one!! Stronger than it looked too because he was a bit "chubby" but quick and tough!

Corny [PF] was a huge recruit for UConn-#1 player in the country picked Storrs during the Blizzard of 78!!! Perno and OBrien drove to Middletown to secure the letter of intent [no Fax]. Mike McKay [a SF] joined him that year. Aleksinas [C] transfered in from Kentucky shortly after to complete the front line. Guards Miller, Hobbs and Giscombe followed in subsequent years and UConn was very good-just not good enough. BUT Corny and MCkay are high on the all time scoring list at UConn. I think if Corny had JC to condition him, he would have been even a better player, he was still one of the great ones though.

Reaction Score
Warren got the same minutes though.

Overall, yes, but Warren's minutes went up a good margin in the last few games and Purvis saw a decrease in minutes. Warren's went up by about 7 over the last 6 games compared to his season average, and Purvis' minutes went down by about 8 over the last 6 games compared to his season average.

Reaction Score
Really? Corny was pretty good. He went on to play for the Dallas Mavericks.
I designed Corny's restaurant and night club in Hartford during the mid ninety's. The old Spencers on Main Street. He was the nicest guy, but seemed to have a large entourage that he was probably supporting...didn't help his restaurant succeed.

Reaction Score
Corny's HS team won 76 straight games and three state championships. Still a record. He started 4 straight years for UCONN , scored 1800+ points, 1000+ rebounds and still I believe holds the school record for most made free throws. He played 1.5 years for the Mav's before he had a serious knee injury. Later played 12 years in Europes where he made millions. He had an excellent career in Italy and Spain. I believe he currently coaches in South America.

Reaction Score
Haha I know Chuck Aleksinas, he is a nice fellow and an enormous human being.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Corny Thompson was the #1 ranked player in the country as a HS Senior back in the late 70's. Just because he wasn't here when Calhoun was doesn't mean that he isn't important to the history of UConn.

Never once did I say he wasn't important to our history!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Corny Thompson was the #1 ranked player in the country as a HS Senior back in the late 70's. Just because he wasn't here when Calhoun was doesn't mean that he isn't important to the history of UConn.
Mark Aguirre was #1 coming out of HS that year. There were likely two or three other guys ahead of Corny but you wouldn't have run off many names before you got to Corny which is pretty damned impressive, especially where we were (in terms of national presence) as a program then and how hard Dean Smith went after Corny.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else feeling a Rodney Purvis commitment today? After all we've been through as fans this year, I feel we deserves some good news heading into the weekend

Reaction Score
Dude- if you are right post a new topic. This would be big news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom