Purvis Worked Out for Charlotte | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis Worked Out for Charlotte

Reaction Score
We must have been watching in different universes. In mine, his 2pt (48 to 41) and 3pt (36 to 34) percent both declined from his 1st year to his last . Rebounds and Assists went up about 1 per 40 minutes. His FT shooting improved markedly, but at less than 3 attempts per game, even the 30% increase he got amounts to less than 1 point a game.

But the numbers don't tell the whole story - he shot more 3s and fewer 2s his final year, so the overall decline in shooting percent from 1st year to 3rd year was 43% to 37%. OUCH.

AT BEST, that's a break even, in my view.

Regarding, "easier to get better if you're not good." Well, Rodney had plenty of room to improve in many areas. He only improved in FT shooting, and, with his style of play, it probably should have been very low on this list of things on which to improve.

As for, "never once doubted he left everything on the court," again, different universe. Kid played hard, mostly, but he'd get lost on D often and get burned. I suppose you can argue that that's not lack of effort. IDK - to me, that's effort. That's not being locked into game mode. Yeah, one on one, on the ball, he was very good.

In any event, I was hoping he would move on after his 2nd season - not so much because of him, but more because I wanted the minutes to go to the younger guys, who had the potential to be around several years. As it turned out, Purvis got a lot of minutes, didn't end up doing much with them, and somebody didn't get as much playing time or as much of a role on the team.

From the island of what coulda been.
Also way easier to be better on a better team, so....

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I can prolly surmise this isn't a popular opinion, but I struggle to find any fond memories of Purv. NC State chuckled a lil, when he transferred here. Now after 3 years of ineptitude I can see why.

Loved how he represented UConn off the court.... on the court tho, well that's a whole other story

Reaction Score
I can prolly surmise this isn't a popular opinion, but I struggle to find any fond memories of Purv. NC State chuckled a lil, when he transferred here. Now after 3 years of ineptitude I can see why.

Loved how he represented UConn off the court.... on the court tho, well that's a whole other story
Yeah so inept. I can't believe people think Rodney Purvis, 1000 pt scorer at UConn/1500+ for his college career, who led the team in scoring in 2015-2016, along with being a good defender and leader, who always seemed to have his biggest games at the right time for us, had a good career. Total bum.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Yeah so inept. I can't believe people think Rodney Purvis, 1000 pt scorer at UConn/1500+ for his college career, who led the team in scoring in 2015-2016, along with being a good defender and leader, who always seemed to have his biggest games at the right time for us, had a good career. Total bum.
Ya, on second thought, purvis was a breath of fresh air on the court as he misses a fast break, travels, or his favorite: stepping out of bounds.

Question: what was our record again last year?

pj

Reaction Score

People can't forgive him for being our best or second best player. If he'd had more talent around him and been our fourth best player, people would have loved him unreservedly.

Reaction Score
I can prolly surmise this isn't a popular opinion, but I struggle to find any fond memories of Purv. NC State chuckled a lil, when he transferred here.

Let me jog your memory a little bit

28 points and this dunk to lead us to one of the best and most exciting regular season wins of the last couple years

Reaction Score
Never once doubted that Rodney left everything he had on the court, can't ask for anything more than that. Wish him well

Stanley too.

Hey some guys can never achieve the goals they have for each skill. Just because you work hard to be a great ball handler doesn't mean you will be. Same with shooting, passing etc etc.. He did the best he could with what he had and I am grateful as a fan to have watched him. Hoping he'd move on is strange, not sure what younger guys you were hoping to get more minutes for? I'm thinking we would have won 10-12 games without Rodney and that would've been even worst.

Reaction Score
Let me jog your memory a little bit

28 points and this dunk to lead us to one of the best and most exciting regular season wins of the last couple years

The problem with Purvis was that poor recruiting meant we were relying way too much on him. Regardless he was a guy who bled UConn blue for 4 years and if you can't appreciate that, that's on you

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We must have been watching in different universes. In mine, his 2pt (48 to 41) and 3pt (36 to 34) percent both declined from his 1st year to his last . Rebounds and Assists went up about 1 per 40 minutes. His FT shooting improved markedly, but at less than 3 attempts per game, even the 30% increase he got amounts to less than 1 point a game.

But the numbers don't tell the whole story - he shot more 3s and fewer 2s his final year, so the overall decline in shooting percent from 1st

In any event, I was hoping he would move on after his 2nd season - not so much because of him, but more because I wanted the minutes to go to the younger guys, who had the potential to be around several years. As it turned out, Purvis got a lot of minutes, didn't end up doing much with them, and somebody didn't get as much playing time or as much of a role on the team.

Last year we did not have a bench. More time for Durham as shooting guard?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ya, on second thought, purvis was a breath of fresh air on the court as he misses a fast break, travels, or his favorite: stepping out of bounds.

Question: what was our record again last year?
and the record was on RP? I don't get that
what was Fultz"s record at Washington?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom