Purvis signs 2 year deal with Magic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis signs 2 year deal with Magic

Reaction Score
I’m embarrassed by my mediocre assessment of his longer term prospects.
I'm mortified by mine. While I always thought the kid was a super hard worker, and a very good person, I was very negative about Purvis' game and his NBA prospects while he was here. Glad to eat this massive serving of crow.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm happy for Rodney, but this is a bit of a procedural move. Still good for the kid.

The Magic would have lost the rights to Rodney as soon as the second ten-day contract expired.

The Magic now get him for the remainder of the season and they have an option on his rights for next year. If they don't guarantee the deal for next year, perhaps it opens the door to a two-way contract.

It also helps Rodney by raising his profile going into the offseason - the easiest way to get to the NBA is to already be in the NBA.

And if nothing else, this is a pretty good sign that the Magic like what Rodney's doing and want to maintain the association.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for Rodney, but this is a bit of a procedural move. Still good for the kid.

The Magic would have lost the rights to Rodney as soon as the second ten-day contract expired.

The Magic now get him for the remainder of the season and they have an option on his rights for next year. If they don't guarantee the deal for next year, perhaps it opens the door to a two-way contract.

It also helps Rodney by raising his profile going into the offseason - the easiest way to get to the NBA is to already be in the NBA.

And if nothing else, this is a pretty good sign that the Magic like what Rodney's doing and want to maintain the association.

This was my read. Jerome Dyson had a similar cup of coffee in the NBA six years ago when he was about the same age Purvis is now (he played 9 games, it looks like Rodney will end up playing about 16).

Still, that's further than I expected him to get. Playing a game in that league is something to be proud of and it sounds like he might have a better chance than Jerome to stick. You don't want him to get too comfortable but I'd imagine life is awfully good for the guy right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't want to call it a cup of coffee because it isn't over.

The Magic could have let him go today, but they didn't - they're obviously interested in his rights and they had to do this in order to retain them.

C

Chief00

This was my read. Jerome Dyson had a similar cup of coffee in the NBA six years ago when he was about the same age Purvis is now (he played 9 games, it looks like Rodney will end up playing about 16).

Still, that's further than I expected him to get. Playing a game in that league is something to be proud of and it sounds like he might have a better chance than Jerome to stick. You don't want him to get too comfortable but I'd imagine life is awfully good for the guy right now.

I think he can shoot the 3 ball better than JD.

Reaction Score
RP had the physicality to make the pros and he has upped his skills to do so. Very happy for him. He was fun to watch and brought a lot of energy to us his last 2 years.

Reaction Score
I don't want to call it a cup of coffee because it isn't over.

The Magic could have let him go today, but they didn't - they're obviously interested in his rights and they had to do this in order to retain them.

You're right, didn't mean to imply that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To me RP will always be the 3rd best grin in UConn history after KEA and Kemba.

Rashad says hello...

upload_2018-3-28_20-34-57.jpeg

Reaction Score
He’s on a non guaranteed contract, they could just get rid of him before next year. he still went from five star to this... but shout out Rodney he worked hard in the g league.

It is not like all 5 stars are in the NBA. There are maybe 30 per year and many never snifff the NBA. Purvis is living a dream right now.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Step out of bounds and take a bow, Rodney. Awesome job. Good luck, and here's hoping for a long, successful NBA career. You're a true blue UCONN Husky forever!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom