Purvis should consider a shooting coach | The Boneyard

Purvis should consider a shooting coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He needs to do something to work on his stroke from the free throw line. He is at 53% for the year, 1 of 5 tonight with an 0 for 4 down the stretch. He can't be on the floor at the end of games. He has a funky stroke, which needs work.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree! He is really hurting us with his ft shooting and sloppy play with the ball in his hands. Dham and RB played well today!

Reaction Score
I think his free throw shooting is easily fixed. He tries to be fancy by spinning the ball right before he shoots. He doesn't even look set before he shoots. He just needs to go back to fundamental free throw shooting vs flashy free throw shooting.

Reaction Score
He needs to take care of the ball first and foremost.

I cringe anytime he has the ball in his hands and must make a decision. He is a turnover waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
Relax. His shot isnt broken he just needs more repetition and confidence with it. We arent talking about a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist shot here. His stroke has potential.

Reaction Score
Relax. His shot isnt broken he just needs more repetition and confidence with it. We arent talking about a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist shot here. His stroke has potential.

He is shooting 53% on the year from the free throw line. I suspect his percentage is less than 50 in the last 5 minutes of games. It's not good.

Reaction Score
How can we pick out just one guy with the numbers they've been throwing up from the FT line?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think he has work on his "no look" passes as well. Either that or start looking.

Reaction Score
I am concerned about his basketball IQ during games- it's as if he is really tuned into the game or completely clueless- there is no in between.
Good news is if he can stay " tuned in" for 25 minutes he can be really good- hope he pulls it together at some point this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am concerned about his basketball IQ during games- it's as if he is really tuned into the game or completely clueless- there is no in between.
Good news is if he can stay " tuned in" for 25 minutes he can be really good- hope he pulls it together at some point this season.

Right now he is the classic AAAA baseball player. Purvis probably looks great when everything is at 90%-95% speed. And he has the physical look and tools. But it's obvious that he hasn't adapted to 100% college basketball speed. He hesitates and thinks before he does and it gets him out of synch. Hopefully it's correctable just by playing minutes. I would compare him to Omar last year and the first few games this year.

In the meantime, he is a liability the last two minutes when UConn is protecting a lead. 4-17 FT's in the past six games.

Reaction Score

More repitition? We're 17 games into the season. Enough with the excuses. If you're a high level D-1 guard you need to be hitting better than 53% from the line. That's well below average for the position

Reaction Score
It's not like he's having a bad year out of nowhere - he shoots 50% from the line for his career (57-113 total; 42-82 his freshman year at NC State). Needs to change something up because whatever he is doing isn't working.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With the type of game Rodney has, poor FT shooting is especially problematic. He simply can't be trusted to play critical possessions down the stretch in any close game. No way any team paying attention is going to let him drive instead of fouling him; and it's probably still a smart move to foul him beyond the three point line.

Reaction Score
Free throws are all mental. He doesn't need a shooting coach because they'll just put more into that kids head at the FT line. Tough to just say "relax and shoot like it's practice" when it's a game because its totally different with 10,000 people watching and being gassed from running up and down. Guarantee he shoots 70-80% in practice. Just the type of kid who overthinks alot and gets on himself which is evident when he rushes and tries to do too much and turns it over as well. Love me some Purv though, glad he's on our side.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

RELAX? we are over half way through the season and the guy who SHOULD be touching the ball as 2nd option to Boat and whose drives to the hoop leads to a free throw situation is clanking at a 50% rate!! These are most likely going to happen at/near the end of games. Unacceptable. Stroke potential - ok he's had that for over 10 years of his BB life. He shoots FTs with an almost arrogant/I don't give a crap attitude and seems to throw the ball up there at times and then other times it is an aiming/willing effort. Pretty soon teams are going to the Hack a Ferrari mode.
I am not one to question KO and his staff but the overall free throw shooting results of this team this year has been poor and is a reflection of the won/loss record to some extent.

Reaction Score
RELAX? we are over half way through the season and the guy who SHOULD be touching the ball as 2nd option to Boat and whose drives to the hoop leads to a free throw situation is clanking at a 50% rate!! These are most likely going to happen at/near the end of games. Unacceptable. Stroke potential - ok he's had that for over 10 years of his BB life. He shoots FTs with an almost arrogant/I don't give a crap attitude and seems to throw the ball up there at times and then other times it is an aiming/willing effort. Pretty soon teams are going to the Hack a Ferrari mode.
I am not one to question KO and his staff but the overall free throw shooting results of this team this year has been poor and is a reflection of the won/loss record to some extent.

Funny we would question KO and his staff? Did we also give the staff the credit for last years unbelievable performance or was it the players themselves?

Ahhhh, maybe they just can't shoot. Doubt there is a different focus in practice especially when struggling - some guys just blow at the FT line. We have too many.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
I think he has work on his "no look" passes as well. Either that or start looking.

His no look pass was fine (although it wasn't really no look), it was the recipient who is the issue. Phil was playing hot potato. No need to take a dribble when you're 6'10" and at the hoop...

Anyways at least he's passing it out. Led to a wide open three.

Reaction Score
You can see all ingredients with Purvis. NBA body, strong, athletic, fast, nice stroke from three, good first step, can create space on the pull up, it's a very nice package. He has all the tangibles. All but one. He shot around 50% from the free throw line at NC State and he hasn't improve in Storrs. Even a small improvement would be a big improvement.

It's the intangibles with Rodney. He has trouble knowing when he has the advantage and when he doesn't. This gets him into trouble and he doesn't have the handle to get out of trouble once he's in it. That means TOs. It also means he will pass on an easy shot and take a more difficult one. If he can learn to play one step ahead of the game, his skills will make him a terrific player. He's pretty good right now. He will be a load when his brain catches up to his body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom