Purvis returning | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Purvis returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm really excited for our backcourt next year
Yes, we have a good rotation going. JA and RP to start and then sub with AG and CV. Now we just need AB to come back to solidify the center position though if he doesn't at least SE will get to show himself at the Center position with a chance to play a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
His small hands are a hindrance, but that's no excuse for getting stripped going up for a layup numerous times. He needs to learn how to adjust his shot while taking contact and not fading back to avoid it. He almost should just run into defenders a few times to give them a taste of what's coming if they keep trying to be physical, because Purvis should be able to take the physical grind. Either way it's still great to have him back, but he has the potential to easily score 20ppg next year with improved FT shooting and the ability to make contact layups.

Easily 20 PPG? He averaged 13 last season. Doesn't really create his own shot. As it is, the list of UConn players to average 20 PPG is extremely short. Shabazz didn't.

Reaction Score
Great news. Now I hope that Rodney works on certain parts of his game between now and the season to not only improve his game for the NBA but also for our Huskies.

With that said, what parts of his game would you hope that Purvis would work on?

A few things that come to mind are improvement with his ball-handling, his ability to finish around the rim, continual to work on his three point shot, and I think a strong focus on his mid-range game. That area right after a perimeter player drives by the defender and before he gets to the rim is often an open area to knock down mid-range shots. That along with improved ball-handling would really help his NBA stock IMO.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Love this. If he can keep improving with his FT's and works on finishing at the rim...

There we go with the fletching free throw crap again. Rodney's FT shooting got fixed last season.
From the first of the year on, he stood at 77%, and shot 93% for the month of March.
As long as he doesn't regress, any benefit from further improvement would be negligible, at best.
At this point, I'd rather see him concentrate on improving his handle and work on ways to earn more trip to the line.

Reaction Score
I just wish Rodney knew how many fanatics here wanted him to return, and how many more are glad he's returning. He's finishing why he came here.

I might add in spite of some of us bitchin, he's our Husky and we would have it no other way!

Reaction Score
Great news. Now I hope that Rodney works on certain parts of his game between now and the season to not only improve his game for the NBA but also for our Huskies.

With that said, what parts of his game would you hope that Purvis would work on?

A few things that come to mind are improvement with his ball-handling, his ability to finish around the rim, continual to work on his three point shot, and I think a strong focus on his mid-range game. That area right after a perimeter player drives by the defender and before he gets to the rim is often an open area to knock down mid-range shots. That along with improved ball-handling would really help his NBA stock IMO.
Dog, I think you nailed it because he is already a good 3 point shooter, has cleaned up the fouls shots and the midrange at times would help because of at the rim rejections. Strangely he often does finish his drives but maybe he has to recognize who to pull up on and when to go all the way in. I'm thrilled at this point because without him next year I saw real trouble.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
OK - we know he has missed easy layups, had issues at the FT line, made some scratch your head decisions and moves BUT he is Purv and Purv is a real good player, he's a great teammate but most importantly - he's the BEST UConn mens BB ambassador.
I am elated he is back
This will help AG immensely and take so much pressure off of the young freshman.
I expect Purv to be working on his handle and finishing
This is so important to this team LEADERSHIP

Reaction Score
Great Purv but it's a waste of our time announcing you're coming back and you're distracting from the real question looming over the team next year - what is bunky up to in the fall?

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I am glad my prediction held up. Next year is Purvis's!

Reaction Score
We can debate all summer whether this was wise for his pro career. What we can't debate is what his return does for his legacy at UConn. Purvis is a true ambassador and there are a whole lot of Huskies fans that will always have loud cheers that will last a lifetime. For some, the special ones, that is worth far more than a contract in Europe. I hope all of us can embrace his commitment and make his senior year a special one!

Reaction Score
Really think he's poised to be a super senior akin to the Valentines, Heilds, Napiers of the world. With Adams and Gilbert he should have no problem chilling on the wings and banging 3s all day.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
There we go with the fletching free throw crap again. Rodney's FT shooting got fixed last season.
From the first of the year on, he stood at 77%, and shot 93% for the month of March.
As long as he doesn't regress, any benefit from further improvement would be negligible, at best.
At this point, I'd rather see him concentrate on improving his handle and work on ways to earn more trip to the line.
I acknowledged he improved! He's just got to keep it up!

Reaction Score
Really think he's poised to be a super senior akin to the Valentines, Heilds, Napiers of the world. With Adams and Gilbert he should have no problem chilling on the wings and banging 3s all day.
So you think he is going to be an All American and in the discussion for NPOY? Seems a bit unrealistic...

Reaction Score
So you think he is going to be an All American and in the discussion for NPOY? Seems a bit unrealistic...
Just let it happen. Such unrealistic expectations on here at times. I'm a huge Purv supporter but to think a guy who wasn't even all conference in the AAC is going to make this jump to that kind of level is laughable.

He made strides in cutting down TO's, improving his 3 pt% and FT% this year. Expecting more improvements and Purv to average around 15-16 ppg.

Reaction Score
Just let it happen. Such unrealistic expectations on here at times. I'm a huge Purv supporter but to think a guy who wasn't even all conference in the AAC is going to make this jump to that kind of level is laughable.

He made strides in cutting down TO's, improving his 3 pt% and FT% this year. Expecting more improvements and Purv to average around 15-16 ppg.
Purv is a wonderful
Husky, leave the kid alone, totally agree with you. Not every player is gonna be the next Ray Allen, Purvis plays hard every second he's in the game and has gotten better and better since day 1.

Can't wait to see the finale!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS