Purvis Putting in Work | The Boneyard

Purvis Putting in Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a student at UConn and I see Purvis in the gym everyday. I think the fact that we missed the tournament this year really upset him and he's willing to put in any amount of work to assure that won't happen again. I'm liking the dedication I'm seeing from him. If he becomes a consistent player, watch out. He's more than capable of putting up 17+PPG.

Reaction Score
NC State will also be real good next year. Addition by subtraction for them. I think Purvis can be a real good player for us though. His problem isn't ability. Most of his issues are between the ears. Like 40 assts/62 to's. That is a very ugly stat. Lacey for instance had 121 assts/67 to's. Not to mention free throw shooting. If we can land Miller....AND somehow Rodney can play smart and improve drastically in these 2 stats then UConn will have a shot to a great year. Purvis is a huge key to our success. That is what kinda scares me. We will see flashes of greatness though. Consistency matters more. JMHO

We all know JA is a STUD.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
His problem isn't ability. Most of his issues are between the ears.
I agree with this. But I have hope that he can improve with more maturity. That should also be one of KO's strengths in terms of player development. If Purvis wants it badly enough--and I think he does--he will let KO teach him how to be a leader and a man. That would be the best development for this team imo.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. But I have hope that he can improve with more maturity. That should also be one of KO's strengths in terms of player development. If Purvis wants it badly enough--and I think he does--he will let KO teach him how to be a leader and a man. That would be the best development for this team imo.
Agreed...and speaking of being in the gym and doing some squats ect...and working on his post moves. AMIDA! :) Projected Draft express #24 in 2016 draft? Maybe he can work out with his dream girl Jenadine Havenga! lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Not worried about Purvis in the least - I think he's a star in the making.

I hope so. He came on strong at the end of the season and I am hoping that was the light coming on. At his age (21 already), I expected him to be better from the start. Hopefully, he is just a late bloomer.

Reaction Score
I think if he didn't land funny on that dunk attempt against WVU we would've probably seen the explosive and more assertive Purvis that we saw at the end of the year a lot sooner. By March he was blowing right by guys with his super quick first step and was finally using his great strength for his size to his advantage. Hopefully consistency will be something we see him make his greatest strides in next year.

Reaction Score
On paper, Adams, Purvis, and Hamilton is a really good 1-2-3. If Enoch surprises us, next year's team could be really good. I'm not convinced Brimah will ever get any strength and be able to do more than block and dunk.

Reaction Score
On paper, Adams, Purvis, and Hamilton is a really good 1-2-3. If Enoch surprises us, next year's team could be really good. I'm not convinced Brimah will ever get any strength and be able to do more than block and dunk.
Why can't Brimah gain strength??? lol

Reaction Score
Guard play was awful this past season so Purvis better have company in that gym cause they just lost their best guard to graduation. Guys coming in are always a crap shoot so Calhoun, Cassell, Purvis and Samuel all need to dig deep and turn things around.

Reaction Score
Guard play was awful this past season so Purvis better have company in that gym cause they just lost their best guard to graduation. Guys coming in are always a crap shoot so Calhoun, Cassell, Purvis and Samuel all need to dig deep and turn things around.

Hamilton was in there the other day with him. Samuel has said he will be in the gym all summer.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Scottzer said:

Need one guy to get tough rebounds and one guy to hit spot 3's. If we find those guys internally or externally next year will see a huge improvement. Everything else seems to be there.

Reaction Score
I want Purvis on the practice court getting up jumpers, it seemed clear we dont need more muscle from him, we need a more deadly shot from deep. If he could have Neils' ability to hit open 3's he wouldn't have much trouble getting 20 every game next season

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
FT's and Jumpers from Rodney...the strength and driving ability are already there

You can't have an aggressive attacking guard shooting as poorly from the line as he did. It would be a huge victory to have him improve to the high 60% range and that's not asking much at all. If he puts in the work to get a better and more consistent shot then he can be a real nightmare to stop.

"Don't stand on the tracks when the trains coming through" - Jack Parkman

Reaction Score
Rodney was on an upward climb the last part of the season and I saw a lot to like. In fact his outside shooting picked up considerably. He not only wants to do well for UCONN but he's close enough that he can smell the draft and if he improves enough he's right there.

Reaction Score
I want Purvis on the practice court getting up jumpers, it seemed clear we dont need more muscle from him, we need a more deadly shot from deep. If he could have Neils' ability to hit open 3's he wouldn't have much trouble getting 20 every game next season

I dont see him ever shooting as well as Neils did. If he can just become a consistent threat from three it will open up his game so much. He's a slasher and if he gets that lane he can take it and finish. Problem is he doesnt always have that lane. If he develops a consistent jump shot, guys have to get out and on him. Then all he needs to learn how to do is to make a decision on the fly. Read the defense, if he is closing in on you quickly toss the quick pump fake and take it to the whole. If he is closely coming towards you catch and dont hesistate or pump, go straight up with the 3 and nail it. Keep the defense on its toes and open up scoring for himself. Almost the exact thing goes for Dham only i think he's already a solid shooter, he just needs more confidence and less hesitation. If those 2 learn those things along, they'd be a deadly offensive combo.

Toss in the Amida oops that would be more plentiful as a result and we have an offensive scheme. And thats not even counting what Adams brings or anyone else for that matter. There is a lot of developing to do over the summer for these guys, but there is no reason in the world Uconn cant be a top ncaa team next year and contend for a championship if you ask me. Its up to the staff and players and their development.

Reaction Score
Which gym? Doing what? This place is starved for details.

Reaction Score
I dont see him ever shooting as well as Neils did. If he can just become a consistent threat from three it will open up his game so much. He's a slasher and if he gets that lane he can take it and finish. Problem is he doesnt always have that lane. If he develops a consistent jump shot, guys have to get out and on him. Then all he needs to learn how to do is to make a decision on the fly. Read the defense, if he is closing in on you quickly toss the quick pump fake and take it to the whole. If he is closely coming towards you catch and dont hesistate or pump, go straight up with the 3 and nail it. Keep the defense on its toes and open up scoring for himself. Almost the exact thing goes for Dham only i think he's already a solid shooter, he just needs more confidence and less hesitation. If those 2 learn those things along, they'd be a deadly offensive combo.

Toss in the Amida oops that would be more plentiful as a result and we have an offensive scheme. And thats not even counting what Adams brings or anyone else for that matter. There is a lot of developing to do over the summer for these guys, but there is no reason in the world Uconn cant be a top ncaa team next year and contend for a championship if you ask me. Its up to the staff and players and their development.

Neil's really didn't become a good three point shooter until his senior year. Fr 11 three's, soph 9 three's, junior 10 three's at 29%. Senior year 58 three's at 48%.
If Purvis works hard he could become an excellent three point shooter, probably not the 48 % that NG shot his senior year but the 40-42 % that SN and DD shot their senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom