Purvis Putting in Work | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis Putting in Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
RP and AB in the gym. Getting crowded over there. Where are the slaggards hanging out?

Reaction Score
Not worried about Purvis in the least - I think he's a star in the making.

A guard who shot 42-78 from the line, had 62 turnovers compared to 40 assists, and showed a low basketball IQ doesn't worry you in the least?

Reaction Score
Which gym? Doing what? This place is starved for details.

Normally he's in the practice facility but I also see him in Gampel sometimes. He's always taking jump shots. I don't see him for very long but when I do, he's always trying to become a better player. The one thing I've not seen him do is take free throws. That's one thing he really needs to improve on.

Reaction Score
I want Purvis on the practice court getting up jumpers, it seemed clear we dont need more muscle from him, we need a more deadly shot from deep. If he could have Neils' ability to hit open 3's he wouldn't have much trouble getting 20 every game next season

Rodney shot better from 3 as a soph. than Niels did.

From 3 pt. land, Niels went 11 for 34 as a frosh, 9 of 21 as a soph, 10 of 34 as a junior. He wasn't a great 3 point shooter until his senior season.

Purvis so far has gone 30 of 78 and 54 of 150 as a soph. He's actually tracking much better than Giffey from 3 pt land.

Reaction Score
Rodney shot better from 3 as a soph. than Niels did.

From 3 pt. land, Niels went 11 for 34 as a frosh, 9 of 21 as a soph, 10 of 34 as a junior. He wasn't a great 3 point shooter until his senior season.

Purvis so far has gone 30 of 78 and 54 of 150 as a soph. He's actually tracking much better than Giffey from 3 pt land.

I suppose. Hard to compare with such a difference in # of attempts.

Reaction Score
Purvis will probably always be a streaky 3-point shooter, but in 60ish games he's proven to be pretty good from deep.

The real issue for him is FTs. Obviously his handle can get a lot better, but with his size and athleticism, he doesn't need a great handle to draw a ton of fouls. I have no doubt he's hesitant to go to the basket because he struggles so much at the line.

He looks more comfortable shooting 28 footers and tough mid-range pull-ups than he does shooting FTs. That needs to change.

Reaction Score
I agree with the person who said we would have probably seen a different Rodney Purvis had he not hurt his ankle against W
Purvis will probably always be a streaky 3-point shooter, but in 60ish games he's proven to be pretty good from deep.

The real issue for him is FTs. Obviously his handle can get a lot better, but with his size and athleticism, he doesn't need a great handle to draw a ton of fouls. I have no doubt he's hesitant to go to the basket because he struggles so much at the line.

He looks more comfortable shooting 28 footers and tough mid-range pull-ups than he does shooting FTs. That needs to change.

You are exactly right. That's why I said the main thing he needs to work on this offseason is his fouling shooting. If he improves and has confidence in his free throws, he'll be both a 3 point shooting threat and a threat to drive to the basket. The sky is the limit if he can fix his free throw problem. I'm excited about him next year.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I agree with the person who said we would have probably seen a different Rodney Purvis had he not hurt his ankle against W

You are exactly right. That's why I said the main thing he needs to work on this offseason is his fouling shooting. If he improves and has confidence in his free throws, he'll be both a 3 point shooting threat and a threat to drive to the basket. The sky is the limit if he can fix his free throw problem. I'm excited about him next year.
I completely agree. I'd love to see him jump to about 70%. That's at least passable.

Have there been any recent examples of guards who were bad FT shooters that made a drastic improvement in 1 season?

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
I think we are looking at a completely different Purvis next year anyways. He was a different player when he was not out there with Boat. It seemed as if he would take his foot off the gas, move to the passenger seat and let Boat drive. It must have been a little bit uncomfortable knowing that this was not 'his' team. It was Boats team and he was a part of it. I love Boat as a player and emotional leader just don't think he was headstrong enough to bring things back when facing adversity. You could see it several times this season when we got down, he got down and almost seemed to bring people with him. Hate to compare him again to Bazz but it was a different stoty with him; he would try and pick people back up. This may have been why they sometimes butted heads. I don't want to wait a year for next season...is it First Night yet? Would like to see a stat comparison of Purv with and w/o Boat on the floor.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
A guard who shot 42-78 from the line, had 62 turnovers compared to 40 assists, and showed a low basketball IQ doesn't worry you in the least?
last 8 games Points: 12, 28, 3, 18, 13, 17, 11, 29, 19. he also improved and maintained his ft% and 3pt%...last 8 games only had 2 games with 4 turnovers... i think he's a smart kid who is going to improve his IQ. I think he lacked confidence until the last 8 games and started to play more free... the only way ill be worried is by midseason there's no improvement

Reaction Score
On paper, Adams, Purvis, and Hamilton is a really good 1-2-3. If Enoch surprises us, next year's team could be really good. I'm not convinced Brimah will ever get any strength and be able to do more than block and dunk.
Brimah's problem isn't so much strength as it is basketball IQ and fundamentals He has to learn when to go for the block and when to stay home and box out. Better perimeter D that keeps opponents from penetrating would also help a lot.

Reaction Score
Brimah's problem isn't so much strength as it is basketball IQ and fundamentals He has to learn when to go for the block and when to stay home and box out. Better perimeter D that keeps opponents from penetrating would also help a lot.
I have to disagree a little there. I do agree his fundamentals aren't totally there as shown by when to block or not and of course when to pass out of a double team. I still think his biggest problem is strength. I can remember many times where he had position and was out rebounded by a small guard. The reason why is he was pushed out of the way. He really can't hold his own on the block and that will come with strength conditioning. I'm not expecting him to become the Rock or TSAM but he needs better lower and upper body strength to hold his own down low. There is no reason 6'2" guards should be our rebounding him down low.

Reaction Score
FullSizeRender.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member