Purvis needs to get LASIK!!! | The Boneyard

Purvis needs to get LASIK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Contact lens? Really?

That explains his foul shooting.

Reaction Score
If I spent as much time practicing basketball as he does, I could make forty percent of my freethrows blindfolded. There's just no excuse.

Reaction Score
Let's keep dwelling on the obvious, he's a crappy FT shooter.:rolleyes:

But really, did his 0 fer fn 2 from the FT line lose the game? NO

Is it possible everyone's "future PG" who was on the court for half the game and had an assist on his box score hurt us? I mean Johnson/Jackson #15 whatever was fat and he couldn't guard him, lost him and his other guy the whole first half and killed us. Nolan made a horribly stupid play, maybe even lazy, allowing Nichols to slide in. If he didn't push him in the back Nicols wasn't getting that rebound by the way it was too long for him, ball was ours. There were so many things that hurt us more than Rodney's 0-2 but hey keep talking about it.

Reaction Score
Let's keep dwelling on the obvious, he's a crappy FT shooter.:rolleyes:

But really, did his 0 fer fn 2 from the FT line lose the game? NO

Is it possible everyone's "future PG" who was on the court for half the game and had an assist on his box score hurt us? I mean Johnson/Jackson #15 whatever was fat and he couldn't guard him, lost him and his other guy the whole first half and killed us. Nolan made a horribly stupid play, maybe even lazy, allowing Nichols to slide in. If he didn't push him in the back Nicols wasn't getting that rebound by the way it was too long for him, ball was ours. There were so many things that hurt us more than Rodney's 0-2 but hey keep talking about it.

Missing two free throws is basically another TO. It can be a four point swing. Anyway you look at it, it not good.

I'm just puzzled by the contact lens. Does RP have an eye condition that cannot be solved by laser surgery? Heck, laser surgery is almost a requirement in sports these days. I don't know the last time I saw a contact lens issue. Maybe a decade ago?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There were so many things that hurt us more than Rodney's 0-2 but hey keep talking about it.

Then let's talk about that sequence where the ball comes out to him for a wide open 3 right down the pipe. But because of his lack of awareness he's 6 feet behind the arc instead of right on it. Predictably, he bricks it way short. That's bad enough but he makes it worse by getting beat down the floor for an easy layup. No hustle, minimal effort.

Reaction Score
Then let's talk about that sequence where the ball comes out to him for a wide open 3 right down the pipe. But because of his lack of awareness he's 6 feet behind the arc instead of right on it. Predictably, he bricks it way short. That's bad enough but he makes it worse by getting beat down the floor for an easy layup. No hustle, minimal effort.

You're lost and have a bias, he plays defense hard. So many big get caught jogging back with their backs to the ball and you find one that is Rodney's fault? believe me, I know you were looking for that one then!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Missing two free throws is basically another TO. It can be a four point swing. Anyway you look at it, it not good.

I'm just puzzled by the contact lens. Does RP have an eye condition that cannot be solved by laser surgery? Heck, laser surgery is almost a requirement in sports these days. I don't know the last time I saw a contact lens issue. Maybe a decade ago?

He has to shoot them better, many guys need to do a lot of things better. But 0-2 last night is not yet another reason for a thread!

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
You're lost and have a bias, he plays defense hard. So many big get caught jogging back with their backs to the ball and you find one that is Rodney's fault? believe me, I know you were looking for that one then!:rolleyes:

He may have a bias but on the play he is describing he is right on. I could believe that when boat breaks down the D and they swarm him, Purvis does not camp himself right on the 3pt line there expecting the pass. Instead he catches the ball way out from the 3pt line and jacks a long three that falls way short. Just not a smart basketball play. But I do think he will come around and be a very good player for us. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
He may have a bias but on the play he is describing he is right on. I could believe that when boat breaks down the D and they swarm him, Purvis does not camp himself right on the 3pt line there expecting the pass. Instead he catches the ball way out from the 3pt line and jacks a long three that falls way short. Just not a smart basketball play. But I do think he will come around and be a very good player for us. Fingers crossed.

Again, you see what you see. If i wrote down all the "dumb plays" during a game by our players I promise you Purvis would not be in the top 4 for most in a game. promise!

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, with the exception of DHam, Samuel and Boat and believe it or not Rock - this crew has a low basketball IQ and quite frankly the coaches for whatever reason have not been able to coach them up much. Got to two games early - still think Linehan is the best pure shooter on the team from 15-20 and we have never experimented with him playing a Giffey role. I don't understand that because he is not a bad athlete either.

Reaction Score
Then let's talk about that sequence where the ball comes out to him for a wide open 3 right down the pipe. But because of [Purvis'] lack of awareness he's 6 feet behind the arc instead of right on it. Predictably, he bricks it way short. That's bad enough but [Purvis] makes it worse by getting beat down the floor for an easy layup. No hustle, minimal effort.
I will express no opinion as to whether this post is dead-on, couldn't-be-more-right, accurate.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No one is disagreeing with the mistakes Rodney made. He made them. What some of us are trying to point out is that people are discussing his failures and not his attributes in this game. Nor are they discussing the failures of other players with the same vitriol. mau pointed some out. He didn't bother with all the mistakes. For instance DHam had three huge momentum breakers (all came when the team was closing the gap) with his inability to create or close out on the fast break. That horrible pass to Ryan, that inability to make an uncontested lay up and so on. And his defense was probably the worst on the team and that includes Omar.

I'm not stating this to put down DHam. He has the potential to be a great player. And he had a great game on offense. But when people only point out or predominately point out the mistakes of one player, there is either a lack of understanding of all the fundamentals of the game, or there is a desire to find an individual or group and seek vengeance. The difference between critical assessment and the desire to punish someone is looking at things in a balanced approach. I know people won't understand this but there really is no difference between the way some posters go after a player like Rodney and the way a group of people go after someone because of their race or ethnicity or gender.

Continue to assess the play as you have done in the post I've quoted. I thought it was a good assessment. But recognize the lack of control many fans have with their emotions and how they direct that anger/frustration out on people.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On that play, he was already the furthest guy back out of the 10 guys on the floor. And still got burned. And playing hard D to me is sustaining through the entire possession. Not 10 seconds then taking the bad gamble or not trying to work through the screen.

But I gotta ask, what do you mean by bias? I don't like to get down on guys and don't do it often. But I like team ball and I don't like selfish. The worst is the player who thinks he's better than he is and plays accordingly. Those guys are potential team killers. (No, I'm not saying this year is all his fault...but we'll see next year.) To me, Purvis has the chance to join the pantheon with M. Johnson and Cox.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

who's paying several thousand dollars for it??? There are a lot of people who wear contacts, including myself bc we don't have several thousand dollars to pay for it out of the blue

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

that is the biggest team with this team other than the inexperience

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
... still think Linehan is the best pure shooter on the team from 15-20 and we have never experimented with him playing a Giffey role. I don't understand that because he is not a bad athlete either.

As always, you are SPOT on!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wow Chief, you're right. We totally should be starting Lenehan and Rock. I think you just found the key to salvaging our season!!! :eek:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
who's paying several thousand dollars for it???
There are deals out there. Guy at work had it done. I asked him why he chose his particular doctor.
He said, "Because he had a coupon, one free eye"
"One free eye? How do you know he is reputable?"
"Oh, he's good. He's Canadian!"

Reaction Score
He has the potential to be a great player. And he had a great game on offense. But when people only point out or predominately point out the mistakes of one player, there is either a lack of understanding of all the fundamentals of the game, or there is a desire to find an individual or group and seek vengeance.
Really?
You point out three things DHam did wrong and then assert that the vitriol directed at Purvis is a "lack of understanding of the fundamentals of the game?"

Perhaps I don't understand the fundamentals of the game.

Here are some statistical fundamentals:

DHAM - 10/22, 2/7 from 3, 3/4 line, 13 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals, 3TOs, 3Fouls, 25 Points in 38 MIN as a Freshman in his first season.
PURVIS - 5/14, 1/7 from 3, 0/2 line, 3 boards, 0 assists, 0 steals, 2TOs, 4Fouls, 11 Points in 28 MIN as a Sophomore in his third season.

Maybe - Fleud - just maybe, people understand that, fundamentally, stat lines like the one next to "DHAM" above are associated with great players who are franchise type guys, particularly when they are posted by a freshman playing on the road in his first season in an important seeding game, and so they are unwilling to point out and harp on the three errors you assert because they see that the net benefit of the player was so great. Contrarily, perhaps, they look at the stat line next to "PURVIS," above, and they believe it reflects the type of play that is not team oriented and that does not lead to winning, thereby being a logical target for at least partial culpability of the final score.**

And BTW, Fleud - You wrote Hamilton "has the potential" to be a great player.

Sir - fundamentally - Hamilton already IS a great player, and - fundamentally - if 25/13/7 with 3 steals on the road in an important game as a freshman does not lead you to that conclusion, then you and I disagree, fundamentally, on what a "great" player is.

**This is merely a hypothesis forwarded to rejoin Fleud's criticism of BY posters, and should in no way be construed to reflect the thoughts or opinions of the writer.

Reaction Score
LASIK is not for everyone.
There are pupil size issues and age issues.
Getting LASIK when you are too young is a mistake, as your eye shape can change further, and you'll be back into contacts.
I got it when I was about 33 and it was the single best thing I ever did for myself (other than the phallus-reduction surgery mentioned in another thread).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really?
You point out three things DHam did wrong and then assert that the vitriol directed at Purvis is a "lack of understanding of the fundamentals of the game?"

Perhaps I don't understand the fundamentals of the game.

Here are some statistical fundamentals:

DHAM - 10/22, 2/7 from 3, 3/4 line, 13 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals, 3TOs, 3Fouls, 25 Points in 38 MIN as a Freshman in his first season.
PURVIS - 5/14, 1/7 from 3, 0/2 line, 3 boards, 0 assists, 0 steals, 2TOs, 4Fouls, 11 Points in 28 MIN as a Sophomore in his third season.

Maybe - Fleud - just maybe, people understand that, fundamentally, stat lines like the one next to "DHAM" above are associated with great players who are franchise type guys, particularly when they are posted by a freshman playing on the road in his first season in an important seeding game, and so they are unwilling to point out and harp on the three errors you assert because they see that the net benefit of the player was so great. Contrarily, perhaps, they look at the stat line next to "PURVIS," above, and they believe it reflects the type of play that is not team oriented and that does not lead to winning, thereby being a logical target for at least partial culpability of the final score.**

And BTW, Fleud - You wrote Hamilton "has the potential" to be a great player.

Sir - fundamentally - Hamilton already IS a great player, and - fundamentally - if 25/13/7 with 3 steals on the road in an important game as a freshman does not lead you to that conclusion, then you and I disagree, fundamentally, on what a "great" player is.

**This is merely a hypothesis forwarded to rejoin Fleud's criticism of BY posters, and should in no way be construed to reflect the thoughts or opinions of the writer.
Nice misdirection. Expected from a lawyer. The pointing out of DHam's mistakes was made only to discuss how people are not reviewing the game in the entirety.

Let me ask you a question. Who was guarding Nichols when he torched UConn in the first half?

BTW I stated there are two groups of people that attack players. You conveniently left out the category you fit into which imo is the category that is most disconcerting. You have great fundamental understanding of things but a strong need to omit factors that could help you be a more compassionate individual. Sad since you obviously have this capacity as demonstrated by your care for your family.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On that play, he was already the furthest guy back out of the 10 guys on the floor. And still got burned. And playing hard D to me is sustaining through the entire possession. Not 10 seconds then taking the bad gamble or not trying to work through the screen.

But I gotta ask, what do you mean by bias? I don't like to get down on guys and don't do it often. But I like team ball and I don't like selfish. The worst is the player who thinks he's better than he is and plays accordingly. Those guys are potential team killers. (No, I'm not saying this year is all his fault...but we'll see next year.) To me, Purvis has the chance to join the pantheon with M. Johnson and Cox.

So was brimah the only one back on the kids dunk late - so let's talk about that one? Bias? You and cheeky with nothing good to ever say about Purvis, ever. He has something there and I'm fine with opinion but to ONLY point out the crap is BS. Everyone on this team could have a running thread if it was like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom