Purvis is just a blank tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis is just a blank tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rodney is 2-16 from 3 this season hitting .125 % and overall .28 % from the field. Yes 5 rebounds and 5 assists but for chrissakes he has bad hands gets stripped all the time. Misses free throws as a guard senior like he never played before. At this point we have no way forward without him and let's face it, he can't shoot worse than this, in fact you could have Geno's bench players shoot 3's better than him. My big question is how do we go forward not hitting perimeter shots, and not making free throws? Don't want this to happen but the Gilbert injury gives the team excuses going forward, but Purvis is a senior team leader and I'm wondering how he looks in the mirror in the morning.

Reaction Score
He is a massive liability on this team, and yet KO keeps wheeling him out there. Not sure what gives, but it's beyond ridiculous now.
He does seem to get a lot more leeway from Ollie than other players.

I don't really understand it, but then again, I don't understand a lot of Ollie's decisions.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He'll come around and start scoring, he just needs to break the ice.

I have to admit, I'm disappointed thus far, I thought he was going to be a leader and that's just not happening thus far

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I have to admit, I'm disappointed thus far, I thought he was going to be a leader and that's just not happening thus far

The shooting will come. He's in a rut of some kind. Who knows why. He's doing some other good things with the rebounds, assists and trying to get to the rim. He's also our best perimeter defender by a huge margin, and since we can't seem to guard against 3's we need him out there.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Purvis also doesn't look like a leader on this team at all. He isn't nearly as vocal as he seemed last year. Probably because a bunch of freshman can't respect your leadership if you can't string together 3 consecutive dribbles without a turnover.

Reaction Score

Wrong

Reaction Score
The shooting will come. He's in a rut of some kind. Who knows why. He's doing some other good things with the rebounds, assists and trying to get to the rim. He's also our best perimeter defender by a huge margin, and since we can't seem to guard against 3's we need him out there.

It will not come. The rut has been for 5 years now. It takes him 20 shots to score 14 points. And honestly, i'm bullish on "being our best defender." Give Vital his minutes.

Reaction Score
It will not come. The rut has been for 5 years now. It takes him 20 shots to score 14 points. And honestly, i'm bullish on "being our best defender." Give Vital his minutes.

Can't overuse Vital now with his back issues. So much for stashing two scholarships, it really screwed us this year and it's only been 3 games.

Reaction Score
Yeah this has been him since he got here. Yep, he will have some good to great games hopefully this year but there will be more games like this. He probably looks great in practice but something doesn't click when it's game time. We won last night but if anyone thinks that effort is going to beat quality teams well...

Reaction Score
It's mystifying where his scoring has gone. If he was contributing the 12 ppg he was chipping in last year we win the last two games easily.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who saw Gilbert go down last night? Anyone saying Purvis needs to ride the pine has to tell me who is playing the 40 minutes a game at each position...

I'm all for Purvis only taking wide open shots, and trying to get his game going on drives before he starts shooting J's again, but he will be out there on the court... we need him to be

Seems like Vital and Jackson should be taking the 3s, and larrier/adams as well. Purvis has to get his game going driving to the hoop and getting fouled, he cant hit a FT to save his life either, but at least that turns into fouls on the other teams guys

Reaction Score
We ran two set plays to free up Purvis for open threes and he missed them both. Lets run those plays for Jackson. The kid can shoot. He rushed an airball three last night but kid can shoot.

Purvis will get hot and lets hope its next game as a few threes will open up the offense for Larrier whos always roaming around in the zone.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@noeynox completely agree with your assessment that it doesnt seem like anybody knows their role and the guys look lost out there. It's one thing for that to happen to the freshman but for Purvis, Adams, Brimah and Facey? Bizarre.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@noeynox completely agree with your assessment that it doesnt seem like anybody knows their role and the guys look lost out there. It's one thing for that to happen to the freshman but for Purvis, Adams, Brimah and Facey? Bizarre.

I agree, but why would those guys (aside from Brimah) know their roles?
  • Facey played sparingly, and often at the 5, which not a position he's ever played for UConn.
  • Adams is a pass first, drive to score PG. So he's out there with Gilbert who is on the ball? What the hell is his role in that situation? I sure as hell don't know and I doubt he does.
  • Purvis is a shooting guard. He's out there and Adams, a guy who can't really shoot, is playing his position at the same time. Purvis is playing SF for some reason, but there is Larrier also playing SF at the same time. What the hell is his role? Is it any wonder he looks lost?
This is lousy coaching. Facey is a PF...period. Purvis is a SG. Adams is a PG. Brimah is a C. Larrier is SF. Those should be set in stone. Bring the freshmen in only in complimentary roles around those guys. Gilbert can be on the court as PG with Purvis or as SG with Adams. Vance can be a SG or can spell Larrier at SF, but should never be on the court with both Purvis and Larrier. Facey should be on the court as a 4, with Larrier or Jackson as a 3 and Brimah or Enoch as a 5. He shouldn't be asked to play the 5 with Larrier at the 4. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
  • Facey played sparingly, and often at the 5, which not a position he's ever played for UConn.
  • Adams is a pass first, drive to score PG. So he's out there with Gilbert who is on the ball? What the hell is his role in that situation? I sure as hell don't know and I doubt he does.
  • Purvis is a shooting guard. He's out there and Adams, a guy who can't really shoot, is playing his position at the same time. Purvis is playing SF for some reason, but there is Larrier also playing SF at the same time. What the hell is his role? Is it any wonder he looks lost?
This is lousy coaching. Facey is a PF...period. Purvis is a SG. Adams is a PG. Brimah is a C. Larrier is SF. Those should be set in stone. Bring the freshmen in only in complimentary roles around those guys. Gilbert can be on the court as PG with Purvis or as SG with Adams. Vance can be a SG or can spell Larrier at SF, but should never be on the court with both Purvis and Larrier. Facey should be on the court as a 4, with Larrier or Jackson as a 3 and Brimah or Enoch as a 5. He shouldn't be asked to play the 5 with Larrier at the 4. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

if you're advocating facey and brimah lineups you must have missed the first two games. We can't score with those two on the floor.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I agree it's coaching but I also think that guys need to be able to have some flexibility in their roles; specifically the back court. I'll give you that Brimah and Facey probably don't have the ability to do anything else, but Adams, Purvis should be able to adapt. Even as recent as last year when Gibbs was on the team the 3 of them played at times with Hamilton and Miller/Brimah.

I know it's asking a lot of Adams to play off the ball but Boat, Napier and Walker have all had to do it and at this point Gilbert has outplayed Adams so he deserves to be the lead guard.

I agree it's mostly on KO but I can't not put some of the blame on the guys give the level of competition.

Reaction Score

Geez I hate to disagree all these guys are basketball players and none should be labeled with a number. Most of them are interchangeable, especially the guards. I mean I don't want to see Purvis at the point but the other 2 are fine on or off the ball. Wouldn't have been any different if DHam stayed as we would have had 2 PG's, 2 SF's and "5" as our best lineup it would seem. Again, these kids are supposed to know how to play and if Kentan is needed at the 4 or 5 this shouldn't be asking all that much. Griffey played the 2,3,4 and 5 his last year and Deandre the 3,4,5. If we need to blame the coaches, and we can by all means, it's because we need to get smarter, better and more flexible players to fit their system I think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's almost like the upper class men know thw younger players are better, but are reluctant to let them lead and the younger guys don't assert themselves enough. The exception seemed to be Alterique before he got hurt.

Reaction Score
He shot 39% from 3 last year on 180 attempts (and 48% from 2). What are you even talking about?
Guess this isn't the Purvis bashing thread I thought it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom