Purvis article from the JI | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis article from the JI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Don't care what anybody says. This is the year...
ferrari-.eps-logo-vector-400x400.png

Reaction Score
Purvis was better as a junior than Heild was. He doesn't need to make that big of a leap to be a real impact player. I don't think he'll be NPOY but here are the numbers. Unlikely that he puts up yield numbers mainly because we have a few weapons alongside him, but anything is possible in August.

I'm not saying Purvis WILL show the same improvement as Hield, but there's no reason it isn't possible. Purvis wouldn't even have to improve as much as Hield did to average 20 points/game. He only needs to improve a little bit, and take more shots.

A closer look at their respective numbers would surprise people. For example, Purvis last season was already a better shooter than Hield was as a junior from everywhere but the foul line.

Rodney Purvis
Junior (RS) year, Per Game Stats
28.8 mpg
43.4% FG (10.4 FGA/game)
47.9% 2P FG
38.5% 3P FG
12.8 PPG

Buddy Hield
Junior Year
32.4 mpg
41.2% FG (14.2 FGA/game)
46.9% 2P FG
35.9% 3P FG
17.4 PPG

Per 40 minutes
Hield- 21.5 ppg on 17.6 shots
Purvis- 17.8 ppg on 14.5 shots

Rodney needs to improve, and I expect he will. 45% from three would be a huge leap, I think 42% is more realistic. But believing it to be impossible is what is delusional, Hield just proved it's possible, and Rodney wouldn't be making as much of an improvement as Hield did.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I almost feel guilty when I get mad at him making a mistake on the court. He's such a good guy and ambassador for the program.

If ever a guy bleeds blue, he does. He's tremendous as a person you want associated with your program. We are lucky to have him and he will long be one of my favorites for his attitude and approach.

As for his game, it's really just about scoring through contact rather than around it in my opinion. He isn't Jalen Adams, who can contort his body to avoid a defender and make crazy highlight reel shots around the basket. He tries it, and misses almost all the time and fails to get fouled. He needs to be the guy who just powers through the defender, draws the foul and scores.

Reaction Score
Purvis was not better than Buddy Hield was as a junior. Never mind the fact that Hield was the main threat on his team and played in a stronger conference.

Hield
22.6 Player Efficiency Rating
54.5% True Shooting %
5.6 Win Shares
9.1 Box Plus/Minus

Purvis
16.9 Player Efficiency Rating
54.5% True Shooting %
3.7 Win Shares
4.9 Box Plus/Minus

Reaction Score
Kid deserves a special senior year. Really one of the good guys, one of the best we've had. Loves Uconn basketball, the campus, the fans and his coaching staff. Will be a true leader to a young team and who better to have do that. So glad he came back, hope he kills it this year and "finishes" strong.

Reaction Score
Purvis was not better than Buddy Hield was as a junior. Never mind the fact that Hield was the main threat on his team and played in a stronger conference.

Hield
54.5% True Shooting %
5.6 Win Shares
9.1 Box Plus/Minus

Purvis
54.5% True Shooting %
3.7 Win Shares
4.9 Box Plus/Minus
There's a reason he won POY in conference

Reaction Score

Hield
54.5% True Shooting %
5.6 Win Shares
9.1 Box Plus/Minus

Purvis
54.5% True Shooting %
3.7 Win Shares
4.9 Box Plus/Minus

My bad, I wasn't clear in my comment. Purvis wasn't a better player, I was referring to what I wrote in my old post. Where I said Purvis was a better shooter. From everywhere but the free-throw line he shot a better percentage than BH did, and he fixed his free-throws after a terrible start.

Again, I'm not saying he's going to be as good as BH. Just that players can, and do, get better their senior year, BH was an example of that. It seems as if people doubt his ability to improve on his numbers, but if he puts in the work, there's no reason he can't/won't have a much better senior season. In order to go from 12+/- ppg to 18 ppg, Purvis doesn't even need to have the type of jump that BH did.

Reaction Score
There's a reason he won POY in conference

BH won POY as a Junior? Impressive. He took more shots and shot a lower percentage than Purvis did. I'm strictly talking about Purvis improving his shooting percentages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Purvis get a shot as either a DB (Safety) or WR/pass catching TE in football... He's got the body for it.. if it doesn't work out in basketball... Would be nice to see him suit up in UCONN football uni....

Reaction Score
BH won POY as a Junior? Impressive. He took more shots and shot a lower percentage than Purvis did. I'm strictly talking about Purvis improving his shooting percentages.
I think he can be a lights out shooter which is very important, but a jump in 2pt % would be hard IMO. But if he's hitting 40% from three I'm satisfied, we don't need him to win poy . He can get his TS % up by not forcing stuff in transition , all those out of control layups should be gone. Focus on hitting every trey and playing good team d.

Reaction Score
I think he can be a lights out shooter which is very important, but a jump in 2pt % would be hard IMO. But if he's hitting 40% from three I'm satisfied, we don't need him to win poy . He can get his TS % up by not forcing stuff in transition , all those out of control layups should be gone. Focus on hitting every trey and playing good team d.

Somewhere between focusing on the rim rather than where he lands or the"and 1" as well as I believe he has smallish hands, he needs to find a way to be better at finishing for the next level. Hell we know he's strong enough and he can shoot it when free and as you say, maybe he even gets better at his man D which is really goo now, he has a chance to be a really good player this year. POY is tough as he also has other go-to's on this team so the numbers will be shared. If he's POY in Storrs alone we will be happy.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't mind seeing him shoot more of those pull up floaters in the lane instead of the layups, seems to convert more of those than he did challenged shots at the rim.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing him shoot more of those pull up floaters in the lane instead of the layups, seems to convert more of those than he did challenged shots at the rim.
He completely abandoned that shot, which is a great skillset and sometimes takes years to get. He definitely had it down pat at nc state. With the floater, his lack of craft and length in the paint isn't a big deal, he can get it off any time. Hopefully he uses it more instead of forcing stuff down there.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
He completely abandoned that shot, which is a great skillset and sometimes takes years to get. He definitely had it down pat at nc state. With the floater, his lack of craft and length in the paint isn't a big deal, he can get it off any time. Hopefully he uses it more instead of forcing stuff down there.
He didnt abandon it. He takes those floaters all the time.

Reaction Score
He didnt abandon it. He takes those floaters all the time.
He doesn't do them enough, he prefers to challenge size in the paint with duck in lay up attempts. If he had continued to refine that, his 2pt % wouldn't be hovering near what it was at nc state as a frosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom