Purdue And Zach Edey | The Boneyard

Purdue And Zach Edey

Reaction Score
Just for fun pulled out and was watching his highlights and wondering what our approach would be against him ( I know just stop him). Canadian who stopped playing baseball because umps couldn’t understand his strike zone (see Aaron Judge), 7’ 4” 295. Size 20 shoes, 5’ 9” mother 6’ 2 “ father kind of surprising. Seems like a great kid but in the clip against Minnesota he seemed like he was guarded by a 6’ 5” guy who was obviously taller. He has 8” on Sanogo and probably 50 pounds. We’re going to push him from all angles and foul him a lot both Sanogo and Clingan. . He doesn’t have to jump, has good touch and can make layups, short shots and is a decent foul shooter. Both our guys would have their hands full. I admit to knowing little about Purdue’s team but this guy is a challenge. How have other team’s or players had success?

Reaction Score
I actually think Adamas mobility around the rim can draw some fouls but the size will bring some as well from AS. However we have another big who is essentially a younger edey. Hope Sampson is back to defend high lobs and who knows maybe Richie gets to burn some fouls on him early if we get a generous lead.

Reaction Score
Just for fun pulled out
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
Just for fun pulled out and was watching his highlights and wondering what our approach would be against him ( I know just stop him). Canadian who stopped playing baseball because umps couldn’t understand his strike zone (see Aaron Judge), 7’ 4” 295. Size 20 shoes, 5’ 9” mother 6’ 2 “ father kind of surprising. Seems like a great kid but in the clip against Minnesota he seemed like he was guarded by a 6’ 5” guy who was obviously taller. He has 8” on Sanogo and probably 50 pounds. We’re going to push him from all angles and foul him a lot both Sanogo and Clingan. . He doesn’t have to jump, has good touch and can make layups, short shots and is a decent foul shooter. Both our guys would have their hands full. I admit to knowing little about Purdue’s team but this guy is a challenge. How have other team’s or players had success?
They have not had success. He's been the best player every game he's played so far this season.

Reaction Score
There’s no stopping him. Our benefit is that you have 10 fouls of elite center to throw at him, whereas most teams don’t even have 5 and then have a huge drop off to the next 5 fouls. UConn can make him work a lot harder for the entirety of his time on the court than pretty much any other team in the country.

Reaction Score
He are probably the team most well equipped in the country to “handle” Edey.

Reaction Score
@jibsey I love how you qualified "I know, I know, Just stop him" because there are a few yarders who would have said just that. You know this place well.

Reaction Score
As I posted in other threads, Adama has played him and dominated. He has improved but so has Adama. I know it will play out differently now, but Edey was good then too, and shared the center position with Lively. Adama 26pts, 12 rb, 7 steals against the 7'+ duo as I recall. (Adama also shot 2 three point attempts and went full court with a eurostep to convert a steal into points) (things people on the board seem to think he has only learned recently). Samson also played in that game good enough to be noted.

Reaction Score
We go HARD for 40 minutes at the 5. Use that and running the ball to limit his impact on the game by testing his conditioning. Use ball pressure from the guards and wings to limit entry passes.

I'd have to look at the video myself to figure out any Xs and Os stuff.

Reaction Score
Edey is playing at a very high level- Not only is he dominant inside on the offense- he is a very good ft shooter, does not get into foul trouble and plays 30 minutes. Having watched a lot of a Purdue and UConn games- The teams share a lot of similarities. Both very well coached, strong front courts- I would give UConn the edge with guard play and 3 point shooting. Will be fun to watch league play now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Purdue has been knocked out by a lower seed in 4 of the last 6 NCAA tournaments. Given Purdue's track record of tournament gags, I am not that focused on Edey at this point.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Cool.

Also, neither is Hurley right now. But that’s why we have message boards. So us fans can discuss stuff like this.

There are teams that scare me more than Purdue. UCLA, Kansas, Arizona, Texas. Gonzaga may not have a great defense, but how does anyone stop them from scoring? Illinois may have 4 losses, but they have wins over Texas and UCLA. I know I don't want to see Illinois as a 5 seed in UConn's bracket. I have no idea how Wisconsin is 35 in KenPom because that teams should be 15. Xavier won't be in our bracket in March, but if one bench player emerges to be a solid contributor for 20+ minutes a game, watch out. Virginia Tech, Rutgers, and Texas Tech all look like tough 8/9 seeds.

I would worry about some of those teams. UConn is not going to play Purdue this year, no matter how deep the Huskies go.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seriously, it's like people think that what we say on here dictates how our team will play lol

So I am not allowed to give my opinion of Purdue as a choke-team? Can you provide a list of approved opinions?

Reaction Score
Purdue has been knocked out by a lower seed in 4 of the last 6 NCAA tournaments. Given Purdue's track record of tournament gags, I am not that focused on Edey at this point.
Not sure this means much, how has UConn done last 6 NCAA tournaments? I would love for our team to play Purdue though- we are so deep and able on any given night to get a great game by almost anyone.

When a team has a definite star, sometimes the best approach is to let that star get their points but limit everyone else. Not easy to do, but I remember a book by UCLA's coach Wooden where he espoused that philosophy, and it has always made sense to me.

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
The long story short is that we can't stop him. Too tall for Sanogo and too strong for Clingan. Our best hope is to do what we've done to nearly every team so far, make them give 100% effort for a full 40 minutes, and pounce on them for the 5-10 minutes they get tired. Lock down everyone not named Zach Edey and get quality shots on offense to offset his production

Reaction Score
You don't have to stop him, you have to stop everyone else around him. We can definitely slow him down, but beating Purdue means limiting their guards on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Edey would have an asthma attack chasing Adama around

This. No, you can't stop him defensively (although we may be able to slow him down better than almost anyone), but you can wear him out. Adama moves all over the place each offensive position. While Clingan doesn't move that much in the half court, the limitations on his minutes means that he can run the floor full speed at every opportunity to beat Edey down the court. We have the ability to exhaust him defensively that no one else may have.

Plus, the standard answer to how you defend a great low post big is you pressure the passers so he can't get the ball in ideal position. Another thing we can do for 40 minutes with Diarra and Aleyne coming off the bench in a manner that most teams can't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't have to stop him, you have to stop everyone else around him. We can definitely slow him down, but beating Purdue means limiting their guards on the perimeter.

Exactly what was said by Ohio University about Austin Carr of Notre Dame in the first round of the NCAAs back in the 60s. We can't stop the first team All American -- we're going to let him get his points and stop everyone else. Carr went for a then NCAA Tourney record of about 63 IIRC and the game was never competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom