Pulling Adama | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pulling Adama

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is a very important point. The entire base of our offense is forcing teams to guard Sanogo 1v1, or rain threes if they send extra defenders.

If teams are playing him 2v1 and nobody is making the threes, we’re the exact same team as last year and the offense will subsequently look exactly like last year.

Only difference would be that we have Hawkins and Newton throwing together last second iso after the offense breaks down instead of RJ. In theory this should be better, but you’ve already put yourself at an extreme disadvantage if that’s the situation.

Make the open shots = Sanogo gets to play 1v1 = everyone wins (except our opponents).
He’s always going to be doubled. If the ball stalls he will be doubled every time every game all year. He will see triples this year. Hell , he saw them last year. He has to either be quick off initial receipt or kick and repost for a more favorable position. You will be able to count on 1 hand this season the times Adama has the ball for 2 seconds down low and isn’t doubled. He will eat people alive one on one. No opposing coach will let that happen.

He’s not selfish. That ( passing) isn’t an instinctual part of his game. He worked hard to play an elite post game he’s worked hard on outside shooting I’m sure he has worked hard on reads and passing. But that’s probably the toughest to learn/ be taught.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did he make some bad reads & bad decisions. Yes.

That being said, I don’t think that calling him a selfish player is fair. I’ll trust staff to indicate what kind of person & teammate he is. I doubt they would reward someone with captaincy if they were selfish

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s inherently selfish or even a “ball hog” I think he just sometimes gets tunnel vision.

The other aspect is, as @husky429 says, he’s not a great passer/recognizer yet. That can and will develop.

Not concerned. Just patiently waiting for it all to click.

Reaction Score
I’m sure he has worked hard on reads and passing. But that’s probably the toughest to learn/ be taught.

Absolutely. You can put in as many hours as you want with a teammate, coach or on your own to develop shooting or post moves. Learning passing out of double-teams to shooters is really something you can only learn playing 5v5. You just get wayyyy less time practicing the skill.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Selfish doesn't at all seem to be who Adama is. I thought I remembered him making some good kick outs in the first 2 games but game 3 showed his fatal flaw again. He's usually too dominant to take off the court but if he goes into black hole mode where he's going 1 on 3 and shooting as he's falling over instead of kicking it out, he has to sit. As Hurley said after the game, with Adama and Donovan we have one of the few best big man duos in the country and are reminiscent of Purdue.
That’s the crazy thing is he seemed to figure out how to find the open guy in the first 2 games. No idea what happened in this game as he was sometimes taking on triple teams and then yeah, that fast break situation. With the shooters on this team it’s imperative he knows how to get them the ball when the defense collapses on him.

This isn’t last year. He’ll get so many east looks just by having proper positioning because guys are going to find him. He just needs to look for them back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pulling Adama reminds me of a great Letterman top 10 of yo-yo tricks.

Reaction Score
He’s always going to be doubled. If the ball stalls he will be doubled every time every game all year. He will see triples this year. Hell , he saw them last year. He has to either be quick off initial receipt or kick and repost for a more favorable position. You will be able to count on 1 hand this season the times Adama has the ball for 2 seconds down low and isn’t doubled. He will eat people alive one on one. No opposing coach will let that happen.

He’s not selfish. That ( passing) isn’t an instinctual part of his game. He worked hard to play an elite post game he’s worked hard on outside shooting I’m sure he has worked hard on reads and passing. But that’s probably the toughest to learn/ be taught.
Sending help immediately would be the smart coaching decision. When you miss 11 of your first 12 three pointers, that decision becomes much easier to make.

If the shots go down, which they should given our revamped team, I think coaches will need to think twice before leaving guys open to double Sanogo. This team is designed as a pick-your-poison team but last night we only had 1 poison to give. Can't imagine that it'll be that way for long.

Reaction Score
I have watched this several times on DVR. Adam gained possessed of the ball at the "X" of "XL' in UConn's backcourt. Not 35 or 45 feet from our hoop; closer to 55-60'. The court is 94' long, thus mid-court is at 47'. It was a bad decision not to pass to his teammate. Whether or not it was selfish, I'll defer to Adam.

But Hurley was right to bench him. That kind of indiscipline cannot be condoned.

Reaction Score
Thread title sounds like a cheesy adult movie. If he had tried to pass it and muffed the pass there would be a 10 page thread on here with people saying Dunk That #(&*(^! Anyway Hurley sent a message that you reward your teammate who is up the court from you with the pass because he has the best chance of getting the bucket.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed on rewatch. In the huddle, Hurley is pissed. He has a finger out and stops Adama. I couldn't quite read his lips, but I think he said stop a couple of times. Then Andre starts talking to Adama. And a few seconds later it seems like Adama says something and the end of bench guys start clapping in the huddle. Street clothes captain putting in work.

Reaction Score
Deserved to be benched good call by Dan. He handled it too long once in the first half as well making sure to dribble it 4-5 times after a rebound before giving it up to open guards ahead, slowed any chance for a break.

But if you really think about it, he’s still a very bad passer so maybe it’s not an awful move after all lol

Reaction Score
IMO..Adama is a smart guy that has occasional BBIQ lapses due to lack of experience in the game--Newness to it.
Teammates and coaches all have a way of voicing their concerns--In huddles. .On the bench.. After games.. If he's as smart as I think he is. Won't happen again.

Sharing the ball with your teammates is BB 101.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the modern game, you leave guys in games if they haven't hit their numbers. It follows that having a player in the game solely add to his point total might affect team play.

Reaction Score
Deserved to be benched good call by Dan. He handled it too long once in the first half as well making sure to dribble it 4-5 times after a rebound before giving it up to open guards ahead, slowed any chance for a break.

But if you really think about it, he’s still a very bad passer so maybe it’s not an awful move after all lol
Part of me got excited when he did that because I love the sound of Point Sanogo, but that feeling didn't last very long

Reaction Score
Disagree. Very easy pass to Newton and I’m much more confident in Newton not blowing that. A big handling the ball in that type of situation often ends in disaster. His footwork was all out of sync and he jumped from too far away. Newton wouldn’t make that error.
This. It’s not like it was another big in front of him running down the court who can’t catch or dribble. It was Fig in front of him. Pass the ball, fundamental play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom