Pulling Adama | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pulling Adama

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When he gets into total black hole mode where it's hurting the team he needs to sit.

Hurley didn't really have that luxury last year where he could go to someone else.
Isaiah Whaley was pretty good at the 5.

But yeah I was hoping Sanogo worked on finding guys out the post up more. He can really learn a lot from DC. We’ll shoot much better in the future and he’ll have a court full of them. He has to be able to find them and if he doesn’t then yeah, Hurley needs to pull him. We’re a good enough team for other guys to pick up the slack.

Reaction Score
Best thing about today was that the offense still seemed to work when Adama went out
I'd argue it worked better with him not on the floor.

Clingan is a very active screener and much better passer. He may not be nearly as polished in the post when he gets it but Clingan is plus player on offense, something Sanogo has never been.

The luxury of having DC to back up a player like Adama is massive. His shot blocking, passing and rebounding bring an element off the bench that quite possibly no other team in the country has. We'll be deep just by the nature of the entire roster but Clingan will likely be the most important bench piece this year if he can continue to impact the games and be this efficient going forward.

Reaction Score
This "Affair" was a great teaching moment. My initial concern was for a possible injury to our center, it just wasn't worth the outcome and was against general steal options of passing ahead.
This high post doubling does expose our bigs at times. Perhaps there was frustration doing this on the part of Santago.
Overall a solid game beyond the second quarter. The guards grew and took over the game with great driving moves to settle us down. Why we opened with five guys on the perimeter perhaps was drawn up by the coaches. When we couldn't make threes the guards and posts went inside, and the game changed a lot.

Reaction Score
So, I’m trying to understand the complaint here. A guy has the ball, past mid court, with no defenders between him and the basket, and one teammate maybe 4 feet ahead of him, and…he should pass? Why? That’s a higher risk play. We aren’t talking about a guy under the basket looking back for the pass. Nor a 2 on 1 where you pass to ensure a clean look.

He blew the dunk, but dunking wasn’t a bad decision. His lazy execution was the problem.
Great call by DH, love the Calhoun-esque hook. Expectations need to be set when it comes to selfish play.
He also took Diarra out after a drive into traffic toward the basket that resulted in a turnover. Nice have the depth to do that. The bench is the best teaching tool a coach has.

Reaction Score
Agreed

Will need to see the replay but I believe Sanogo was behind half court at a full stop at newton near half court running forward

Watching it live it was very clear he should have dished it. Hence Hurleys speechless reaction and Andre motioning for Sanogo to pass it in the huddle
Liked that Hurley let Andre do the talking to Adama. Establishing leadership.

Reaction Score
I might be the only one who thinks he tried to miss that on purpose to get Newton his 10th board. I think that’s why Hurley was pissed.

Thought the same. Newton said something to him once he got the ball but I couldn't hear it

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Danny yanked him after he ignored his teammates and then blew the dunk. Very JC move. Don't think Adama saw the floor after that.

Not a game that suited him. Buffalo collapsed around him and missing 10 of out first 11 threes made it worse. Sometimes it's not your night. A learning experience to be sure.

There were some players with JC who walked straight to the bench after screwing up. Didn't even wait for the horn.

Reaction Score
There were some players with JC who walked straight to the bench after screwing up. Didn't even wait for the horn.
To this day, my favorite moment was a Jeff Adrien missed three. I can't remember who it was against, but it was a blowout in the fourth quarter. Adrien got it wide open at the 3 point line, looked over to the bench at Calhoun, and then decided to shoot.... and was immediately yanked.

Reaction Score
He got pulled and rightfully so from a coaching optics perspective.

That said, he’s probably going for 25/15 on Friday. Feel like Sanogo is not the guy to play poorly twice in a row

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'd argue it worked better with him not on the floor.

Clingan is a very active screener and much better passer. He may not be nearly as polished in the post when he gets it but Clingan is plus player on offense, something Sanogo has never been.

The luxury of having DC to back up a player like Adama is massive. His shot blocking, passing and rebounding bring an element off the bench that quite possibly no other team in the country has. We'll be deep just by the nature of the entire roster but Clingan will likely be the most important bench piece this year if he can continue to impact the games and be this efficient going forward.
I’d argue that it did not work the first time Clingan went in for Adama. He looked lost. But the second time was a 180 degree change and arguably played better than Sanogo. Incredible that a freshman could make that type of adjustment. Karaban also made adjustments as the game went on. That’s what players with high bb IQs do.

I prefer different players stepping up in different games over one or two stars and everyone else. Less chance of an off day like Adama had to negatively impact outcomes.

Reaction Score
Not a great trend of selfishness we are seeing. From still being a black hole in the paint in year three, to this

Something has to wake him up and maybe this game and the hook will get the ball rolling

Reaction Score
Not knowing how to pass =/= selfishness.

He would never have been recruited if he was a selfish kid. Passing vision is something you often have or don't have... it's a hard skill to learn, and often just comes with experience. It's usually the last skill folks develop. Adama picked up the game way later than most players on this team.

He probably will never be a great passer, but he can be decent. I would say he had two moments where he definitely should have passed it back out yesterday. He'll get in the film room and keep learning.

Reaction Score
So, I’m trying to understand the complaint here. A guy has the ball, past mid court, with no defenders between him and the basket, and one teammate maybe 4 feet ahead of him, and…he should pass? Why? That’s a higher risk play. We aren’t talking about a guy under the basket looking back for the pass. Nor a 2 on 1 where you pass to ensure a clean look.

He blew the dunk, but dunking wasn’t a bad decision. His lazy execution was the problem.

A big dribbling the length of the court is always high risk. He should have gotten the ball to Newton by half court.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
How hasn’t Adama learned to pass out of a double team yet?
Perhaps because of his excellent footwork and brute strength he still believes he can do anything against anybody. Great self confidence ( a plus) but not realistic; especially with two or three defenders. Needs to work this out with the coaches. Adding this to his skillset would immensely raise his value at the next level wherever that may be. He needs to understand that along with the outside shot and drive.

Reaction Score
No idea why he tried to dunk it left handed.......but in Adama's defense Newton was close and directly in front of him right after the steal which would have made it an awkward pass so maybe it was better for him to take a few dribbles and once he reached the free throw line figured why not go for it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A big dribbling the length of the court is always high risk. He should have gotten the ball to Newton by half court.
He was not far from half court when he got the ball. Didn't we applaud the practice clip where Johnson did exactly that, taking only a couple dribbles to go 3/4 court?
No idea why he tried to dunk it left handed.......but in Adama's defense Newton was close and directly in front of him right after the steal which would have made it an awkward pass so maybe it was better for him to take a few dribbles and once he reached the free throw line figured why not go for it.
That's what I saw, Newton one step ahead of him just to the left. Right next to him. I didn't see any clear opening to pass it. But as I said, I need to rewatch the clip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom