Providence Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Providence Scouting Report

Reaction Score
You know I’ve seen five national championships, right? Nothing you could ever do or have ever done bothers me.

Reaction Score
I have been on these boards since the mid 90s and remember plenty about what’s posted. Here. The old umass “rivalry” board. Your silly little board where I was threatened physically in the direct message area. Or when John_in_London became John_in_Italy.

I don’t forget much.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
They played us tough at UConn. We need to exorcise the demons from late year at their place and keep up the momentum but we are doomed, clearly DOOMED!

Reaction Score
They played us tough at UConn. We need to exorcise the demons from late year at their place and keep up the momentum but we are doomed, clearly DOOMED!
Take the tail out from between your legs.

Reaction Score
It should be another thread listing BE teams in order of dislike by us. Providence has obnoxious fans, but many of the schools do. We are better than them and should prevail but the world will still be here if it doesn’t happen and by next Sunday night everything about the BE tourney will be in the rear view mirror and unimportant.

Reaction Score
They’ve got some guard who transferred from here who Donny Marshall talked up during the first game like he was the next Jordan. Beware.

Reaction Score
Providence post-Hopkins injury
providence.png

Mediocre offense, mediocre defense. They have a modern offensive shot selection, wherein they eschew mid range jumpers for 3s and well not really layups. They're lacking the offensively skilled players to get all the way to the rim and finish. They even finish poorly on cuts. None of this will be helped by Clingan's presence. They do drive and kick frequently, but they don't have elite shooters, either. Oduro is probably their most effective player, as most of the very green bars are related to playing from the post (big roll, post up, post and kick, pick and pop).

Jayden Pierre, Corey Floyd, and Garwey Dual are just pretty mediocre. They all need another year or two before they're effective offensive players in college, but Providence needs 2 of them on the court at all times. Pierre and Carter are the only guys that scare you from behind the arc. Gaines will put them up, but he's streaky.

Defensively they were better earlier in the season. They've always allowed too many rim attempts, but their rim protection was unsustainably elite against cupcakes, but has not been up to task against Big East teams. Their rebounding has also regressed without Hopkins.

As long as the refs don't screw us, we will likely beat them even if they shoot above norm.

Reaction Score
Donovan has been much better recently about not biting on pump fakes and staying vertical, which has led to only a few instances of foul trouble since we last played PC. If he can make life for Oduro difficult without fouling, hard to see a path for PC to win.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@Gurleyman
Nora Jones just performed two songs on CBS Saturday Sessions. Started at 8:45 EST

Reaction Score
Donovan has been much better recently about not biting on pump fakes and staying vertical, which has led to only a few instances of foul trouble since we last played PC. If he can make life for Oduro difficult without fouling, hard to see a path for PC to win.
I think that was the thing that pleased me the most in this last Marquette game. Even when Iguadharo was charging his shoulder into him Clingan didn't react by pushing him back which almost certainly would've gotten a foul called on him. He might be able to push back in Gampel or Hartford or even a neutral site game, but at their place, no.

Clingan seems to have a better idea of avoiding fouls and knowing that giving up 2,4, or 6 points is better than picking up a foul.

Reaction Score
CFJ tends to always step up against us but if we smother Carter and limit Oduro, I like our chances

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I expect Donovan to be highly motivated to shut down Oduro today, after his struggles doing so last time. The million dollar question is what kind of whistle are we looking at?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
- Providence is just giving up SO MUCH size in this matchup. I’m curious how English tries to make it somewhat competitive on the glass, because on paper it’s going to be a huge issue. Does he give up some transition opportunities and just crash the glass with everyone? Certainly feels like a slow, methodical half-court game plays into UConn’s game plan.

- Oduro is a nice player but I would be shocked if he is not in early foul trouble. I’d bet Hurley tries to establish Clingan early to try to force the issue. English is going to have to give Oduro help, which will open up outside shots.

- Carter has turned into one heck of a player. He’s going to have to have a superhuman effort and will no doubt see Castle and Diarra draped all over him the entire night (with Clingan sealing off the paint). Just gotta make him slightly less efficient because he’s too good to stop.

Unfortunate that Hopkins is out for the year. He, Oduro, and Carter made for one of the better three-man cores in college ball. Outside of a total dud shooting-wise for UConn, feels like this is just too much of a mismatch.
Thanks for pointing out Diarra as the substitute or even with Castle on the floor against Carter. That's a very formidable pair to keep him from totally going off. Wear him down and out. Good challenge for them as we head into the tournaments. Have to have your A game when you play against him. An all worthy opponent with no quit.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I expect Donovan to be highly motivated to shut down Oduro today, after his struggles doing so last time. The million dollar question is what kind of whistle are we looking at?

This is what will decide the game, which is sad when sports are at their best when the quality of play is what matters, not the manner of play.

I imagine PC will go out hunting for foul calls on DC, hoping to put him on the bench for much of the first half. I'm confident they'l do a ton of grabbing and holding on defense to disrupt our motion, hoping that for the most part they won't get called. I have no doubts that if the game is called fairly, we will win by about a dozen points, with an 8-10 point or more lead from about ten minutes in throughout the final 25-30 minutes of the game. I do however have a strong feeling that they'll commit ~25 fouls each half and get called for 10 while we'll commist ~5 fouls per half and also get called for ten.

Reaction Score
Thanks for pointing out Diarra as the substitute or even with Castle on the floor against Carter. That's a very formidable pair to keep him from totally going off. Wear him down and out. Good challenge for them as we head into the tournaments. Have to have your A game when you play against him. An all worthy opponent with no quit.
He had 20 in the first game but was 6/18 from the floor with 7 of his points coming from the line. I feel like there were a few questionable calls on Castle that game but don’t remember the specifics (though Carter flops with the best of them so that’s bound to happen most games). I think you live with that and make others beat you.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He had 20 in the first game but was 6/18 from the floor with 7 of his points coming from the line. I feel like there were a few questionable calls on Castle that game but don’t remember the specifics (though Carter flops with the best of them so that’s bound to happen most games). I think you live with that and make others beat you.
He's also very good at diving into his defender while throwing up a wild shot to get a foul call.

Reaction Score
It's @ Providence so I'm fully expecting Clingan to be on the bench with 2 fouls before the 1st media TO

I feel good with Castle/Diarra on Devin Carter, hope Samson can at least keep Oduro from going crazy, and rely on Newton/Cam to get buckets or open up threes for AK

Reaction Score
With Hopkins playing just two full Big East games, these conference stats and analytics are a pretty clear representative of where the team is and how the team is carried and production varied:

Screen Shot 2024-03-09 at 10.51.31 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-03-09 at 10.50.58 AM.jpg

Basically, it's a two-man game between Carter and Oduro.

Reaction Score
Providence post-Hopkins injury
providence.png

Mediocre offense, mediocre defense. They have a modern offensive shot selection, wherein they eschew mid range jumpers for 3s and well not really layups. They're lacking the offensively skilled players to get all the way to the rim and finish. They even finish poorly on cuts. None of this will be helped by Clingan's presence. They do drive and kick frequently, but they don't have elite shooters, either. Oduro is probably their most effective player, as most of the very green bars are related to playing from the post (big roll, post up, post and kick, pick and pop).

Jayden Pierre, Corey Floyd, and Garwey Dual are just pretty mediocre. They all need another year or two before they're effective offensive players in college, but Providence needs 2 of them on the court at all times. Pierre and Carter are the only guys that scare you from behind the arc. Gaines will put them up, but he's streaky.

Defensively they were better earlier in the season. They've always allowed too many rim attempts, but their rim protection was unsustainably elite against cupcakes, but has not been up to task against Big East teams. Their rebounding has also regressed without Hopkins.

As long as the refs don't screw us, we will likely beat them even if they shoot above norm.
But the refs will screw us remember last years game where Providence had like 45 foul shots.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
With Hopkins playing just two full Big East games, these conference stats and analytics are a pretty clear representative of where the team is and how the team is carried and production varied:

View attachment 97417

View attachment 97418

Basically, it's a two-man game between Carter and Oduro.

Weren't people saying Dual was going to be a lottery pick after this season? What happened there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom