Providence Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence Scouting Report

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
By biggest worry in this one is that Carter will get Castle in foul trouble relatively easily, which will keep him on the bench most of the first half. Hassan and Newton should be able to keep in somewhat in check, but he always gets to the foul line no matter who or where he is playing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just a personal observation reading their board for years. As mentioned, the focus so far this year has been head and shoulders having Cooley come back to the Dunk. That was clearly their most important game, as it should be.

There has not been a lot of talk about us there this year and when there is? It's pretty humble and complimentary of how deep and effective we've been. Oh, they still hate our guts and think we're all d-bags but they're realistic enough to know this one is a real uphill climb for them based off lineups and matchups.
It most certainly is an uphill battle for not only them but most teams in the country. My "letdown" post concerning UConn is based on observations that most people cannot put aside making comparisons between one thing and another. Point of support for this position is that the Providence fans think we're all d-bags because they're obviously comparing us to you.:cool:

If UConn struggles at the beginning of the Providence game it could be exacerbated by the memory of the previous Xavier game. I'm gearing myself that Wednesday will be somewhat of a letdown performance wise.
However I believe if any team can sustain the energy they showed against Xavier it is this team.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
As long as we bring the intensity we should be fine. We can expect Devin Carter to lead the Friars with intensity. Hopkins caused us problems in the past because they isolated for him and he could bully Karaban. He's out, so that won't be an issue this year, but I think it wasn't going to be as big an issue this year even if he could play. Karaban is stronger and has begun to figure out inside D a bit, and Clingan blocking shots can back him up if not.

And, by the way, another great scouting report

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By biggest worry in this one is that Carter will get Castle in foul trouble relatively easily, which will keep him on the bench most of the first half. Hassan and Newton should be able to keep in somewhat in check, but he always gets to the foul line no matter who or where he is playing.
Clingan being back reduces my concern there immensely. Carter will not score efficiently in the paint when he’s in. No one does. Hurley has ten fouls of very good to elite perimeter defense to throw at Carter between Castle and Diarra. Run him off the line and force him to put up mid-range shots. He’ll score but I doubt it will be efficient.

Reaction Score
It most certainly is an uphill battle for not only them but most teams in the country. My "letdown" post concerning UConn is based on observations that most people cannot put aside making comparisons between one thing and another. Point of support for this position is that the Providence fans think we're all d-bags because they're obviously comparing us to you.:cool:

If UConn struggles at the beginning of the Providence game it could be exacerbated by the memory of the previous Xavier game. I'm gearing myself that Wednesday will be somewhat of a letdown performance wise.
However I believe if any team can sustain the energy they showed against Xavier it is this team.
I wish I could take credit. Their vitriol goes back to Lee Perkins and Rebecca Lobo. Long before I started visiting there.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I wish I could take credit. Their vitriol goes back to Lee Perkins and Rebecca Lobo. Long before I started visiting there.
Rebecca Lobo???

Reaction Score
How did I end up on a Providence board? Based on all these posts, we don't stand a chance.
No matter who is in foul trouble or having an off night, our bench barely has a drop off in effectiveness.

Reaction Score
1706637648118.png

Relax, don't worry.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This might sound funny but with St John's coming up on Saturday, this has the feel of a trap game.
I don't see any way Andrea Hurley allows the team to overlook this opponent.

That said, don't expect an outcome similar to the Xavier game (well, maybe similar to when we played them in Cincinnati). PC will try to muck it up and turn it into a rugby match. BE officiating will very likely allow this (conference leadership has some affinity for the early 90's Georgetown rock fights) and the game will remain closer than it should for a while.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Smother Carter, game over.
Without Hopkins PC lacks the talent to be a real threat. UConn would have to play an awful game.

Reaction Score
Great post as always.

It will be interesting to see how Providence handles this game emotionally. They just played and WON their Super Bowl. The natural result would be a letdown.

For us, I think Cam Spenser is due for a good game. He should be comfortable in Gampel. It may not happen this game but I also expect a minor explosion from an emerging Castle sometime soon.
The Cooley game was important to the fans and the students. Other than that, it was overblown. Oduro, Ticket, Barron & Duel neverplayed for him and he barely played Pierre and CFJ last year. And nothing phases Carter.

UConn will get Oduro in foul trouble and it will be a long night for the Friars.

Reaction Score
Over the past few years, the Friars are a mind-boggling 22-0 when John Fanta is the play-by-play announcer for a PC game. That is staggering.

Tell Fanta to stay the hell away from Gampel tomorrow! Does anyone know who the announcers will be?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Over the past few years, the Friars are a mind-boggling 22-0 when John Fanta is the play-by-play announcer for a PC game. That is staggering.

Tell Fanta to stay the hell away from Gampel tomorrow! Does anyone know who the announcers will be?

Tim Brando and Donny Marshall are on the call tomorrow.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

You have to believe Fanta is vulnerable right now.

Reaction Score
That Godfather post doesn't specifically mention both of them and get reposted at some point every year? I know your board better than you do. It's the most famous post in your existence.

Reaction Score
Stephon Castle meet Devin Carter. Devin Carter meet Stephon Castle.

Thinking Carter defends either Newton or Spencer. With the fact teams are leaving space for Stephon for now no need to have a lockdown on him. PC will try to take either of the other 2’out of the game.

Reaction Score
Thinking Carter defends either Newton or Spencer. With the fact teams are leaving space for Stephon for now no need to have a lockdown on him. PC will try to take either of the other 2’out of the game.
I agree. I meant Castle covering Carter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom