Providence Scouting Report | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Providence Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Did Newton guard Carter last matchup?

If not, I think he should: Carter loves attacking the rim to draw fouls and get to the line while Newton has the size to matchup and is lowest on the team with 2.9 fouls charged per 40.
I hope Bynum guards Newton on D. Newton can shoot over him and UConn throw the ball to Newton near the basket While Sanogo is at the 3 pt line to draw away Croswell

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
PC wasn't part of the Yankee Conference . That was UConn, URI, UMass, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. BU, Holy Cross and Northeastern had a cup of coffee as well.
Yes I knew that but we were and we were always chasing PC when we were in the Yankee Conference. But I can see why you read it as that. PC had a national footprint long before we did.

Reaction Score
Carter ranks 2nd in the country for guards with 31 blocks. He is also in top 20 in rebounds and top 35 in steals among all guards in the country.

Reaction Score
I hope Bynum guards Newton on D. Newton can shoot over him and UConn throw the ball to Newton near the basket While Sanogo is at the 3 pt line to draw away Croswell

It’s not that simple. Providence plays team defense exceptionally well. It’s not about one on one matchups with them.

Reaction Score
Yes to Carter and no on Bynum

Bynum is precisely what you want in a lead guard. His assists to turnover ratio is 24th best in the country, top 10 in the P6, and 2nd in the Big East. Second, he’s the guy in whose hands you want to have the ball late in the game with the lead because he shoots 84% from the line. Finally he’s a quick decision maker who doesn’t have to take time to think through what has to be done with the ball.

Reaction Score
Checked out the other games on the slate and it's completely wide open. There's basically 0 other good games (no Big 12, the only early Big Ten game has Minnesota, BC in the only early ACC game with a good team, and SEC just has Kentucky/Florida... Florida has lost 4 of 5 and Castleton is hurt). We can make a big statement tonight.

Reaction Score
If we struggle against PC tonight the air is coming out of the balloon. Hurley gets paid 3 million per year to instill confidence, beat Providence at home in late Feb , take this team on a run, and get back the swagger for the tourney. We have the freaking talent so let’s do this! No excuses.

Reaction Score
If we struggle against PC tonight the air is coming out of the balloon. Hurley gets paid 3 million per year to instill confidence, beat Providence at home in late Feb , take this team on a run, and get back the swagger for the tourney. We have the freaking talent so let’s do this! No excuses.
So you would be disappointed with anything less than a 15 point win?

Reaction Score
It’s not that simple. Providence plays team defense exceptionally well. It’s not about one on one matchups with them.
they absolutely do help and play team defense, but that is why I mentioned having shooters on the outside so that it would limit how much PC can help. But yes, they are good at helping near the basket and then recovering to shooters.

Reaction Score
Bynum is precisely what you want in a lead guard. His assists to turnover ratio is 24th best in the country, top 10 in the P6, and 2nd in the Big East. Second, he’s the guy in whose hands you want to have the ball late in the game with the lead because he shoots 84% from the line. Finally he’s a quick decision maker who doesn’t have to take time to think through what has to be done with the ball.
Bynum is a steady lead guard. I just think the upside to Newton is higher. I wouldn’t die on the hill of Newton over Bynum though

Reaction Score
Checked out the other games on the slate and it's completely wide open. There's basically 0 other good games (no Big 12, the only early Big Ten game has Minnesota, BC in the only early ACC game with a good team, and SEC just has Kentucky/Florida... Florida has lost 4 of 5 and Castleton is hurt). We can make a big statement tonight.
Syracuse at Clemson, ACCN, 7:00p.

I'm hoping to catch the end of that one after the Prov game. Watching the Cuse go down to defeat is much better than reading about it.

Reaction Score
Need efficient and productive bench minutes (in the time they have) /Made FTs/Great team D-help D/ Crazy home Senior Night crowd / fair refs.. Get out strong early and play for 40 minutes

Reaction Score
Need efficient and productive bench minutes (in the time they have) /Made FTs/Great team D-help D/ Crazy home Senior Night crowd / fair refs.. Get out strong early and play for 40 minutes
the crowd has to be in it like they were last year against Nova. Loud and rowdy crowds not only energize the players on the home team but they influence and intimidate the officials (i.e. Nova game last year in Hartford).

I went to the UConn-PC game at Providence and then the UConn game against Seton Hall in Gampel last Saturday. The PC crowd is so much louder and into the game throughout the entire game than the UConn crowd. The UConn crowd will rise and cheer loudly after a big 3 or a dunk, but they don't keep that energy throughout the game like the PC crowd.

Reaction Score
will be interested to see how hurley attacks bynum- cooley has gone offense/defense with him a ton in the second half since hes been back from injury. providence is better with bynum out there offensively, but him missing the last 30 mins of the first game made the friars better defensively. not sure he's 100%, or even 80% back from that injury.

Reaction Score
will be interested to see how hurley attacks bynum- cooley has gone offense/defense with him a ton in the second half since hes been back from injury. providence is better with bynum out there offensively, but him missing the last 30 mins of the first game made the friars better defensively. not sure he's 100%, or even 80% back from that injury.
very true especially in the NOVA game at the AMP when Nova was constantly attacking Bynum when he was on defense. Cooley subbed in Breed a lot in the last 10 minutes of that game

Reaction Score
Yeah Newton has to attack Bynum off the bounce. He's got like 6 inches on him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I remember the days when we were in the Yankee conference and PC with players like Marvin Barnes [were] the class of New England basketball.
Never thought I'd see the name "Marvin Barnes" so close to the word "class." Thanks for the smile. He was quite a player.

Reaction Score
Carter ranks 2nd in the country for guards with 31 blocks. He is also in top 20 in rebounds and top 35 in steals among all guards in the country.

@ Ripper32 - those stats align with what I see anecdotally. Devin Carter is that dude-he is a baller.

Reaction Score

Croswell put up really impressive numbers last year in limited minutes on a per minute basis. He was an easy shoe-in for improvement. Watson had a somewhat disappointing last season compared to his previous one as well.

Reaction Score
Looks like Devin Carter is feeling like killing some dogs tonight...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom