Providence Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Providence Scouting Report

Reaction Score
No I didn’t…….

Also why is Karaban in this discussion? Carter can’t play the 4. Newton is by far the better fit next to Hawkins and Jackson. Carter wouldn’t start. I said Croswell wouldn’t play not start lmaoo. My point is still very much in tact. No one outside of Hopkins would start on this UConn team.
Ummm - you could play a smaller lineup and put Jackson at the 4 if you absolutely think Hawkins must be in over Carter. I love Jordan - silky smooth and my favorite to watch, but Carter has taken his game to another level since league play started. Everyone keeps saying we aren’t getting to the free throw line, and all Carter and Hopkins do is attack the basket.

I think the drop off behind Carter and Hawkins is big. Joey C Vs Breed, etc.

Reaction Score
What Cooley did last year was screen sanogo under the basket so the guards can get by for an easy layup. They ran that play over and over and over. Similarly to what Xavier and nova have done. The only difference with Xavier and Nova being that they ISO’s either Karaban or Hawkins.

If Hurley can’t adjust with the starting lineup that’s out there, we may have to switch it up early. That includes our offense. If teams are going to sag on Jackson and dare him to shoot, we have to make the switch faster. Jackson cannot be shooting threes. A lineup of Joey C/Diarra/Newton, Hawkins/Joey C/Alleyne, Jackson, Sanogo, Clingan

The fans and teams of every college we’re going to to play against from here on out knows that all they have to do is get under Jackson and Hurley’s skin and they’ll get T’s. They’re going to go after Jackson a lot more. The refs are now waiting to T up Danny

Add all that in with one of the craziest homecourts in college basketball, it’s going to make for a very close and intense game
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Mostly because Sanogo didn't play in the game vs. them last year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Mostly because Sanogo didn't play in the game vs. them last year.

Reaction Score
PC is not a team to be looked past. I don't care if they have all 5* or all walk-ons. They are always prepared to play UConn and no matter who is coaching them they seem to find a way to beat UConn.
I saw performances of some players on UConn at times this season that would have them sitting on the PC bench and performances by a few PC players at times this season that would have them competing for starter minutes at UConn.
Just win
Stop all this our guys are better than your guys crap. I felt that UConn was better on paper than Xavier but that was not the case on that particular day.
Agree with this. If you start comparing rosters we shouldn’t have much to worry about the rest of the season. However when you start dealing with the expectations on this team, the target on our back, and the away environments a team like PC can certainly pick us off if our mindset is not right. I would like to think the Xavier game was a small blip for us but I am certainly worried about our next few games and how we respond.

Reaction Score
Ummm - you could play a smaller lineup and put Jackson at the 4 if you absolutely think Hawkins must be in over Carter. I love Jordan - silky smooth and my favorite to watch, but Carter has taken his game to another level since league play started. Everyone keeps saying we aren’t getting to the free throw line, and all Carter and Hopkins do is attack the basket.

I think the drop off behind Carter and Hawkins is big. Joey C Vs Breed, etc.
I just think you’re wrong. But We’ll see. If we had PCs roster with the schedule we’ve played we wouldn’t be 14-1 or 12-3 for that matter.

Reaction Score
I just think you’re wrong. But We’ll see. If we had PCs roster with the schedule we’ve played we wouldn’t be 14-1 or 12-3 for that matter.
Fair enough...and of course not!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I would love to see Newton have a good game. From the look on his face in the Xavier game he needs to regain some confidence. But he is not a pg. He scores by shooting stationary threes and posting up the smaller pg that is probably blowing by him at the other end getting lay ups.

Reaction Score
PC is not a team to be looked past. I don't care if they have all 5* or all walk-ons. They are always prepared to play UConn and no matter who is coaching them they seem to find a way to beat UConn.
I saw performances of some players on UConn at times this season that would have them sitting on the PC bench and performances by a few PC players at times this season that would have them competing for starter minutes at UConn.
Just win
Stop all this our guys are better than your guys crap. I felt that UConn was better on paper than Xavier but that was not the case on that particular day.

The way I read the history we're 29-19 against them, so your statement about "no matter who is coaching them they seem to find a was to beat UConn" is a bit of a reach.

Reaction Score
Update report time!

Providence: 20-7 (8-4 since last time we played them)
Kenpom Rating: #29 (#43 last time we played them

OFFENSE: 19th in the nation (31st since last matchup)

Big East Rankings:

• 1st in FTA/FGA (38.2%)
  • 2nd in offensive rebounding rate (33.5%)
  • 3rd in 75.3 ft%
  • 5th in
    • 49.1 2p%
    • Turnover rate (17.3%)
  • 6th in A/FGM (53%)
  • 8th in 3PA/FGA (30.8%)
  • 9th in quickest average length of possession (18.4 seconds)

DEFENSE: 65th in the nation (69th since last matchup)

Big East Rankings:

• 1st in 3p% (27.6%)
  • 3rd in
    • 33.1% 3PA/FGA
    • 46.9 A/FGA
    • Defensive rebounding rate
    • Quickest opponent possession rate (16.9 seconds)
  • 4th in block %
  • 5th in 29.2 FTA/FGA
  • 8th in steal rate
  • 9th 51.5 2p%

Top Performers in the last 30 days:
  • Bryce Hopkins: 17.7p, 9.3r, 2.7a, 1.3s, 1.1b, 1.4 3PM, 82.4 ft%
  • Devin Carter: 14.0p, 7.1r, 3.6a, 1.4s, 1.0b, 1.0 3PM, 75.0 ft%
  • Ed Croswell: 13.9p, 6.3r, 1.0s, 0.9b
  • Noah Locke: 12.0p, 3.rd, 2.1 3PM, 5.0 fg%

A lot of points on this game have been discussed in other threads. To me, the biggest story not mentioned much is Jared Bynum’s return to inefficiency: after injuring his abdomen during the previous matchup, Bynum has shot just 39.4% from inside the arc (but a passable 33.3 3p% in that span too).

Last game, UConn lost the three-point (5-22 vs 8-18) and the free-throw battle (29-35 vs 10-19), so a regression to the mean is expected here.

GR2TDfyFQGOXwzLrO8RHYEficgyqcaAeOxlcd9NLs-4sOJQKQY-ctz8DaW434SyPdwjWVgQm57G6MAITqktVro62qtc67lnRywmzvsAV7mpQO1PBBKHwChUGNqLbvsJzVqArf9q83FYc1jBusqxQ1DQ

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Biggest game of the year. We need this w badly. I hope we come out go up big get the crowd in the game. I am not convinced PC has the talent to come back from big deficits. We need to protect the ball and get as many transition points as possible. So we also have to rebound well. Also like to see JH go off early with a few of his beautiful threes. But there is anxiety for me. I remember the days when we were in the Yankee conference and PC with players like Marvin Barnes where the class of New England basketball.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I would love to see Newton have a good game. From the look on his face in the Xavier game he needs to regain some confidence. But he is not a pg. He scores by shooting stationary threes and posting up the smaller pg that is probably blowing by him at the other end getting lay ups.
Yes he is not a pg but he is our best option. Diara is our best defensive guard. At least best at guarding quick player like Bynum who like to get penetration. And he is actually bigger than Bynum so that is a plus. I could see Diara getting more minutes in this game if Newt starts slowly.

Reaction Score
Biggest game of the year. We need this w badly. I hope we come out go up big get the crowd in the game. I am not convinced PC has the talent to come back from big deficits. We need to protect the ball and get as many transition points as possible. So we also have to rebound well. Also like to see JH go off early with a few of his beautiful threes. But there is anxiety for me. I remember the days when we were in the Yankee conference and PC with players like Marvin Barnes where the class of New England basketball.
I remember those days as well but I also remember more fondly the days of 4 national championships

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
PC wasn't part of the Yankee Conference . That was UConn, URI, UMass, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. BU, Holy Cross and Northeastern had a cup of coffee as well.

Reaction Score
So true. This one aged well for @AntG168!
Only one who’s changed my opinion is Devon Carter. I still don’t know if he starts over Jackson for size purposes. But he’s a better basketball player. Croswell still wouldn’t play unless in a Whaley oversized lineup role

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

This is the type of mentality that lost Creighton the first game against UConn. You can’t single guard superstars, I’d rather have Andre/Hawk double off their man and force their average guards to beat us. Andre should focus on limiting Carter:

Reaction Score
Only one who’s changed my opinion is Devon Carter. I still don’t know if he starts over Jackson for size purposes. But he’s a better basketball player. Croswell still wouldn’t play unless in a Whaley oversized lineup role

You’re right, Croswell sucks. Too funny. Your thing is that you don’t value defense, rebounding and instincts. You read box scores and that’s how you came to your first incorrect conclusion. I think we could find minutes for Croswell. Our teams are very close.

Reaction Score
Did Newton guard Carter last matchup?

If not, I think he should: Carter loves attacking the rim to draw fouls and get to the line while Newton has the size to matchup and is lowest on the team with 2.9 fouls charged per 40.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom