Providence Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
I was playing in a home poker game. Thought about not going but my friend has his house (he is single) set up like a sports bar. They all know I am a big UConn fan. Before the game another player asked me if he should take UConn. I said the line keeps going down but we have bucked that trend. He decided to take Providence. A few minutes into the game that I was watching with no sound, I said Hurley is going to get a T then it happened. Then Providence went up big. The other player looked at me and said I am feeling good about the bet. I looked at him and said you should be worried this is about to get ugly for PC. Every player at the table kind of chuckled thought I was FOS. Then a 40-12 run to end the first half. No one chuckled after that. Then I said get ready for a lot of this over the next month. This in my mind is the best regular season I remember as far as it feels. Maybe the Dream season is close but this may be a touch better. Of course I had a UConn shirt on and ended up winning pretty big the the poker game. All said it was a perfect evening.

Reaction Score
Great game! Can Anyone find Hurley’s post game press Conference?

Reaction Score
Samson takes a beating in these post game threads, he deserves alot of props tonight, he played very well on both ends.
He's a great backup because his game is so different from that of Clingan, forcing the opponent to adjust and make mistakes half the time. But Clingan needs to be more imposing. He allowed too many layups without resistance.

Reaction Score
He's a great backup because his game is so different from that of Clingan, forcing the opponent to adjust and make mistakes half the time. But Clingan needs to be more imposing. He allowed too many layups without resistance.
I don’t know. We’re winning and it seems Donny is staying on the floor better. Maybe he’s just being a little smarter and more selective?

Reaction Score
They never even mentioned Spencer was at the line shooting techs.

Looking at the game tracker, it was a tech on English but who knows why…

7:26+1Cam Spencer makes technical free throw 2 of 221-21
7:26Cam Spencer misses technical free throw 1 of 2
7:26Kim English technical foul
7:26+2Stephon Castle makes two point layup20-21

my guess was English tried to do what Hurley did but he timed it wrong at a timeout break. Hurley's was well-timed, and after he got the tech, the refs clearly changed how they were calling the game. I'm sure that pissed off English, and he was probably bitchg that that is exactly what happened.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the vitriol from UConn fans.

I get from the friarboys. Once they were the big dogs in New England basketball. They took great players from Connecticut like Marvin (tire iron) Barnes and Bruce Campbell and went deep in the NCAAs. They were in the penthouse. The Big East was formed by their former coach, largely, to protect Providence basketball. And their creation created the monster program that is UConn. Oops. That has got to hurt. It's natural that they have a frustrated fan base that lashes out in anger. They remember.

But in matter of fact, Pee Cee matters to UConn about as much as they did when UConn was in the American. I kinda like Kim English. He's not a jackass on the sideline and he has shown some grace in a season that has been filled with bad breaks. As Hurley said in Milwaukee. This is about us. It's not about them or their fans. It's about us.

Reaction Score
I just got to watch the game.

I've been critical of SJ, but he did what he needed to do today and more. What we need from a bench big is rebounding, defending without fouling and easy buckets. Well done.

He's not going to put up those per-minute numbers often but he clearly did the right stuff.

Reaction Score
There is nothing better than hearing a “Let’s go Huskies” chant on someone else’s senior night. I’m curious if Friar stops by tonight.

I need to know if the Castle quote I just saw online is real or not. If it is it’s one of my favorite quotes from a UConn player ever.

It is. Itnwas the interview for radio after the game.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the vitriol from UConn fans.

I get from the friarboys. Once they were the big dogs in New England basketball. They took great players from Connecticut like Marvin (tire iron) Barnes and Bruce Campbell and went deep in the NCAAs. They were in the penthouse. The Big East was formed by their former coach, largely, to protect Providence basketball. And their creation created the monster program that is UConn. Oops. That has got to hurt. It's natural that they have a frustrated fan base that lashes out in anger. They remember.

But in matter of fact, Pee Cee matters to UConn about as much as they did when UConn was in the American. I kinda like Kim English. He's not a jackass on the sideline and he has shown some grace in a season that has been filled with bad breaks. As Hurley said in Milwaukee. This is about us. It's not about them or their fans. It's about us.
Marvin Barnes was from providence
ct players in addition to soup Campbell were
bill Eason from Waterbury Charlie Crawford from hill house Gary bello-amity

Reaction Score
Hurley got a T.
Clingan hit a 3.
UConn won by double digits.

Works for me.

Great game. Great season. #1 in the BE, 28-3 on the year and 18-2 in the BE. The best regular season in BE history.

Let’s go win some trophies. Let’s go Huskies!
You sound like a rapper!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This game was personal to not just Hurley, but the players. I think PC’s fanbase made it personal for the team. It doesn’t help the players taking cheap shots, fans being horrible people to Andre and Dan, and the players talking . Clingan fired up when he came out of the game,Castle fired up going to the rim, the team waving bye to fans, and this….

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Next year I want to see how the BE sets up our home schedule at the end of the season. They clearly wanted us to lose on the road the last quarter of the season this year. Creighton, MQ and PC all away on second matchup.
So you preferred last year when we started in a five game hole. I like having those games with the finish line in sight.

Reaction Score
Marvin Barnes was from providence
ct players in addition to soup Campbell were
bill Eason from Waterbury Charlie Crawford from hill house Gary bello-amity
Johnny Egan from Hartford was one of the first CT guys to PC. Johnny later played in the NBA. Jimmy Walker was a great player for them from Boston. They really caught lightning in a bottle when they got the 2 Providence kids, Barnes and Ernie Di. That team lost to Memphis State in a the 1973 final four semi-final. Kevin Stacom was also on the team coached by Dave Gavitt. If Barnes didn't twist his knee in the first half, Providence probably would've won.

PC showed some life when Rick Pitino was the coach and Billy Donovan was their leading scorer. That team lived on a pressing defense and the new 3 point shot. They really haven't been nationally relevant in a long time.

Reaction Score
I may be totally missing something here, but in exchanges with two different fans they held up three fingers at Hurley. What was the point of that?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Finally got to watch the game in its entirety. It was on but we had people to entertain. My thought is there is no better entertainment than watching a UConn game. Actually there is no better entertainment than watching me watching UConn. Two thoughts Danny was right to complain about the call on Castle. Oduro stuck his arse out and hip checked him into the ball handler. The moving pick that SJ picked up a few minutes later was less egregious but called. The second is what was the tech on PC. I listened a few times and still don't know

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom