Proud of my state | The Boneyard

Proud of my state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In light of the Sandy Hook tragedy my one major take away is how good our state is. The heroics of the teachers and principle inside that school just blows me away, they sacrificed themselves for their students and the levelheadedness and quick thinking is beyond impressive, heroes isn't a strong enough word. The worst imaginable thing happened in Newtown and the way they have come together as a community is a thing of beauty, the strength Robbie Parker used to talk about his daughter and offer compassion and love to the killer's family took unbelievable strength. I'm just impressed all around, from the way the heroes inside the school responded down to our first responders, unfortunately their weren't any lives to be saved by our tactical units and doctors but the professionalism shown by Lieutenant Paul Vance is impressive, he should give a tutorial on how to handle press conferences after a tragedy. A town in our state was put on full display for the whole world to see and they showed how a tight knit community is supposed to be, Newtown is clearly an awesome town and I'm proud it's in my home state.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
In light of the Sandy Hook tragedy my one major take away is how good our state is. The heroics of the teachers and principle inside that school just blows me away, they sacrificed themselves for their students and the levelheadedness and quick thinking is beyond impressive, heroes isn't a strong enough word. The worst imaginable thing happened in Newtown and the way they have come together as a community is a thing of beauty, the strength Robbie Parker used to talk about his daughter and offer compassion and love to the killer's family took unbelievable strength. I'm just impressed all around, from the way the heroes inside the school responded down to our first responders, unfortunately their weren't any lives to be saved by our tactical units and doctors but the professionalism shown by Lieutenant Paul Vance is impressive, he should give a tutorial on how to handle press conferences after a tragedy. A town in our state was put on full display for the whole world to see and they showed how a tight knit community is supposed to be, Newtown is clearly an awesome town and I'm proud it's in my home state.

I was also surprised and impressed that Governor Malloy got there so quickly and took such an active role, especially being the one to tell the parents that they had lost their children. That could not have been easy and I respect his courage in doing so. I'm sure that he did not have to do that and I expect that many would not do so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've thought this as well. It doesn't change just how incredibly tragic, arbitrary, and unfathomably sad the event was, but as time adds prospective, it will be a memorable footnote.

Reaction Score
One thing this tradgedy has shown is how professional our State Police has been in taking the lead on this very complex situation. I'm proud of the teachers who gave their lives in a effort to protect their students and the people of Newtown for pulling together in this most difficult of time for them.The staff at Sandy Hook School did everything according to protocol and likely saved many lives.
Lt. Vance was outstanding. He established credibilty with the media and didn't try to spin anything.

Reaction Score
The word "Hero" is often used too loosely in our society today. In this case, the word "Hero" can not be used enough.

Reaction Score

Awesome, awesome job, superjohn. You make me proud to be a 'Yarder. I echo those sentiments.

Fortunately, these huge, profound tragedies, bring us together, and bring out the best in us. Look at all the support and love that Newtown and CT have gotten all over the nation. Unfortunately, it seems to take these epic tragedies to bring us together (think 9/11).

Reaction Score
I've been pretty moved by the reactions of the people who are close to what happened. Robbie Parker's statement took an incredible amount of resolve to deliver and truly what I had previously thought was an unrealistic amount of compassion. Lt. Vance has handled every press conference like he has given hundreds of them, and not in a bad dismissive way, but in a thoughtful, professional and considerate way.

Reaction Score
We owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to many but especially to anyone who had to go inside that school and witness the crime scene, because that's a burden they will unfortunately have to carry with them forever.

Reaction Score
We owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to many but especially to anyone who had to go inside that school and witness the crime scene, because that's a burden they will unfortunately have to carry with them forever.

Yea I can't even imagine, I know they're used to seeing pretty extreme stuff but I'd imagine that had to be the worst scene they've ever encountered. Also read the story of the young students who were in Victoria Soto's class who managed to escape after she was killed. They had to walk past her body and they were aware that she wasn't alive based on what they reported to the guy who eventually found them sitting outside his driveway. Can't even imagine being 6 or 7 years old and being subjected to that kind of scene and what kind of long term effects that could have on one's psyche.

Reaction Score
Yea I can't even imagine, I know they're used to seeing pretty extreme stuff but I'd imagine that had to be the worst scene they've ever encountered. Also read the story of the young students who were in Victoria Soto's class who managed to escape after she was killed. They had to walk past her body and they were aware that she wasn't alive based on what they reported to the guy who eventually found them sitting outside his driveway. Can't even imagine being 6 or 7 years old and being subjected to that kind of scene and what kind of long term effects that could have on one's psyche.

Apparently, there was one survivor in the first classroom who "played dead" in a pool of her classmates' blood, according to her family pastor. She was the only one to come out of that room alive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

While it's a great job by Providence does it really belong in this thread?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
While it's a great job by Providence does it really belong in this thread?
But why criticize?
One thing this tradgedy has shown is how professional our State Police has been in taking the lead on this very complex situation. I'm proud of the teachers who gave their lives in a effort to protect their students and the people of Newtown for pulling together in this most difficult of time for them.The staff at Sandy Hook School did everything according to protocol and likely saved many lives.
Lt. Vance was outstanding. He established credibilty with the media and didn't try to spin anything.

Right on the protocol, but that seems like too mild a statement. They thought they were about to die and still managed to hide their own terror and keep those kids not only safe, but calm. Amazing. Some trained soldiers in battle don't do as well.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

That's a classy move by Cooley and the Friars...

Reaction Score
Fortunately, these huge, profound tragedies, bring us together, and bring out the best in us. Look at all the support and love that Newtown and CT have gotten all over the nation. Unfortunately, it seems to take these epic tragedies to bring us together (think 9/11).

Agreed. As horrible as this tragedy is, it's been heartwarming to see all the national & international support & condolences for the Newtown community. And my God, vigils & tributes in Brazil, Pakistan, Phillipines, etc.

Just reminds us that there is more good in this world than evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom