OT: - Prosciutto Help | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Prosciutto Help

Reaction Score
Bruschetta, Wrapped with Figs, Melons. Try it with scallops.

Try it in a Chicken Marsala as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Crostini, fig jam, prosciutto, burrata or goat cheese

You're welcome
Chunk of fresh mozz or burrata, wrapped in proscuitto, drizzle of good balsamic... doesn't get much better. Basil leaf optional.

The chicken saltimbocca was in a really old cookbook I stole from my mom. I made it for a g/f on her second dinner at my apartment. She married me 3 1/2 years later. Its a Valentine's Day staple.
I get a chuckle every time I'm reminded of saltimbocca because it reminds of having a veal saltimbocca in the Condado area of San Juan back in 1981, at a restaurant that was named something like "Tony and Geno's, from White Plains." I don't recall the exact names, but will always remember the White Plains part. Who knew White Plains had that kind of cachet in Puerto Rico?
All the suggestions are good but I wouldn't mess with cooking it or making stuffed chicken. Do that with stuff you get at the grocery store but if I had a leg of it like that it's so damn good on it's own I would only slice it right off the bone and eat it or as charcuterie with the cheeses, melon, and bread that compliment it. Maybe cook with the scraps.
That depends on the taste. It's not all that uncommon to get a leg where some of it's seasoned properly but due to how it was hung/stored, an overabundance of salt has concentrated in certain areas, making those parts better for cooking than noshing. Plus, it's basically "free", so you're not paying $24.99/lb for a secondary ingredient in whatever you're cooking, so experiment away.

Last edited:

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
My father in law makes prosciutto every year with his friends so I have been in this exact situation, only did not have anybody to share with.

Like many have already said cut it thin and serve with cheeses or on a crostini. Keep it simple. I myself have not tried cooking with it and just eat it by the chunk or slice depending how good my knife was working that day.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Alternatively, did anyone get any funky gifts the past few weeks?

Yes. Wife inexplicably purchased some kind of lighting device that makes you look better in selfies or on Zoom calls. I sit next to a window already. Lighting is fine, I'm just too fat. Returned.

Of course the fun part is that a package we sent my sister on December 10th for Christmas still has not arrived. Once my brother in law sent us also has no arrived. Way to go USPS.

As for your prosciutto, going to be tricky to slice that without a deli slicer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
yeah that cost a couple hundred bucks, at least

That was another topic for the conversation. We figured it was about a $200-$250 cut. It's a nice gift. But what is a family supposed to do with it. I guess it came with some blanket you cover it with when you are done making a cut and it supposedly has a shelf life of up to 18 months.

It just seemed odd that someone would assume another person would want to showcase a hunk of ham in their kitchen or some other area of the house for several months. From what we gathered there weren't any previous conversations between doctor and the nurse about a love of prosciutto or anything that would lead someone to get this as a gift for a family.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Indigenous, my favorite restaurant in Sarasota served a Cobia wrapped in prosciutto that was outstanding. You could give that a try.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Smells like a “re-gift” to me...
One of our neighbors is a nurse and a doctor at her hospital gave several nurses a whole, uncut 24 month salt cured prosciutto.
Nah, it sounds like the doctor gave several nurses one each.

I'm guessing he probably went to Italy in recent years, loved it, and wanted to share something nice and unique to show his appreciation for the nurses with whom he works.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Check Spanish recipes. If it works with Jamon, it works with Prosciutto
Yeah, I had no idea how good the Spanish jamón ibérico was until we ordered it at Olea in New Haven when we ate there for our anniversary a couple years ago. Better than any prosciutto I've ever had. Apparently it comes from pigs that are fed a diet of acorns and that makes for better marbling/meat.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Chunk of fresh mozz or burrata, wrapped in proscuitto, drizzle of good balsamic... doesn't get much better. Basil leaf optional.

I get a chuckle every time I'm reminded of saltimbocca because it reminds of having a veal saltimbocca in the Condado area of San Juan back in 1981, at a restaurant that was named something like "Tony and Geno's, from White Plains." I don't recall the exact names, but will always remember the White Plains part. Who knew White Plains had that kind of cachet in Puerto Rico?

That depends on the taste. It's not all that uncommon to get a leg where some of it's seasoned properly but due to how it was hung/stored, an overabundance of salt has concentrated in certain areas, making those parts better for cooking than noshing. Plus, it's basically "free", so you're not paying $24.99/lb for a secondary ingredient in whatever you're cooking, so experiment away.
thank you for pointing out veal saltimbocca, the only saltimbocca! accept no substitutes.
as to condado and it's real estate history? good tale, reminding folks that lots of pr stuff ran thru both Hartford and Bridgeport. short version -yuge chunk of that rock listed post ww2. family friend passes on it at 75k. someone else buys it, then sells it to hilton 6 months later for double.
as to the knife skill challenged folks here -what? it's called a chef's knife, and with minimal effort, a grammar school kid could learn to 'shave' a yuge block of hard preserved meat.
as to the question at hand, ie, 'what to do with it?'
too easy. give it to me. problem solved.

Reaction Score
Nah, it sounds like the doctor gave several nurses one each.

I'm guessing he probably went to Italy in recent years, loved it, and wanted to share something nice and unique to show his appreciation for the nurses with whom he works.

How far removed do you have to be from reality to think that a prosciutto is in the ballpark of a reasonable gift to give someone you work with? Would I love it? Yes. Would 99% of the people I work with--absolutely not.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How far removed do you have to be from reality to think that a prosciutto is in the ballpark of a reasonable gift to give someone you work with? Would I love it? Yes. Would 99% of the people I work with--absolutely not.
I hear you; but being in touch with the hoi polloi is frequently not a strength of doctors.

Reaction Score
Get some bottom round sliced thin then pound it thinner. Slice of prosciutto then mixture of pine nuts, parsley, bread crumbs, parmesan, S&P spread over the meat. Fold edges, and roll, brown then put in your tomato sauce, you just made Braciole.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Get some bottom round sliced thin then pound it thinner. Slice of prosciutto then mixture of pine nuts, parsley, bread crumbs, parmesan, S&P spread over the meat. Fold edges, and roll, brown then put in your tomato sauce, you just made Braciole.
One of my favorite Italian dishes. We make it every Christmas eve both beef and pork (Spedini). I used to make my own from scratch but became too much of a pita with all the other stuff we have going on then, so I buy them prerolled from A&S in Fairfield (sometimes from Liuzzi in North Haven).

Have you ever put raisins in yours? I scoffed until I tried it. The raisins cook away and are undetectable, except for a nice, mild sweetness.

Skappo in New Haven does that with their meatballs.

Reaction Score
My Mom used to make homemade ravioli with raisins. It was delicious. Prosciutto or capicola with provolone on a hard roll heated with some hot peppers is also a delicious sandwich.

Reaction Score
You guys just inspired me to make braciole, meatballs, and sausage this Sunday.
Finally got around to making some Sunday gravy. Braciole with garlic, parsley, bread crumbs, parmesan reggiano, salami, provolone. Pork and ground beef meatballs with ricotta, provolone and salami in the mix, and Italian sausage. It's simmering on the stove top for the past 4 hours. Now let's play some football.

Reaction Score
Finally got around to making some Sunday gravy. Braciole with garlic, parsley, bread crumbs, parmesan reggiano, salami, provolone. Pork and ground beef meatballs with ricotta, provolone and salami in the mix, and Italian sausage. It's simmering on the stove top for the past 4 hours. Now let's play some football.
We don't get many rainy 50 degree days here in the Valley like today so I also have a pot of Sunday gravy simmering.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I hear you; but being in touch with the hoi polloi is frequently not a strength of doctors.
Does this mean you 'know better' than to buy them for legal secretaries or paralegals?

Reaction Score
All you need to go with that is a really sharp knife and an afternoon with nothing to do. Good lawd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom