OT: - Prosciutto Help | The Boneyard

OT: Prosciutto Help

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One of our neighbors is a nurse and a doctor at her hospital gave several nurses a whole, uncut 24 month salt cured prosciutto.

It's way more than her family will eat anytime soon.

So, in spite of this being pretty cool, it's getting passed around like a fruit cake. It should arrive at my house later this week.

What do you do with a prosciutto other than slice it thin for a sandwich or cut some chunks for a pasta sauce?

IMG_20210102_181116116~2.jpg

Reaction Score
Jesus. What CAN'T you do with that?

Blanch asparagus, wrap a few spears in prosciutto and broil lightly. Drizzle in balsamic.
Prosciutto and peas in a fettucini Alfredo or a carbonara.
Chunks of cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto.
Escarole, white beans and sausage with prosciutto.

Or, I would just sit there every single night eating it with good cheese and fresh crusty bread. That piece of meat is like GOLD right there. Anything you do with it will be elevated.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Slice really thin and serve as part of a charcuterie, with cheese, nuts, grapes, etc.

Put it on pizza; really good with baby arugula, if they will allow that combo down there.

Slice thin and wrap around a pork loin and cook in clay oven. This is a great add to a pork loin. Nice and crispy and imparts great flavor.

Reaction Score
it's good on an egg sandwich. fry it up in the pan with the eggs

if you like asparagus, you can wrap the asparagus in prosciutto too. you can throw it right on the grill. some people put goat cheese between the wrap and the asparagus too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
it's good on an egg sandwich. fry it up in the pan with the eggs

if you like asparagus, you can wrap the asparagus in prosciutto too. you can throw it right on the grill. some people put goat cheese between the wrap and the asparagus too.
Both great calls.

Even if you don’t like asparagus, this makes it awesome. No cheese needed IMO, just a little char.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
I made a rosted red pepper, spinach, mozzarella chicken rolled in prosciutto for the holidays. It was delicious. It’s easier to make than it sounds.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Chicken saltimbocca!!

Pound boneless chicken chest flat. Then top it with Swiss cheese, proscuitto, chopped tomato and sage. Roll it up and put in a baking dish. Repeat with as many pieces of chx you want. Then brush all of them with melted butter, then top with bread crumbs. This is the healthier way. Bad way is to take the rolled up wad and slather it in a butter dish and then roll in bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Or look up your own version.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
What ever it’s called It was tasty!!
I made a few roll with speck just to experiment and i liked better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good suggestions so far. Once it gets passed to me and I cook a few of these suggestions, I'll post pics.

We definitely do not have a meat slicer not do our neighbors. That was part of our amusement of how to use the gift. Tried that long carving knife in the pic but skill is definitely lacking in how to make a uniform thin cut.

Asparagus wrapped is a good idea.

I actually went to a butcher and got prosciutto for a charcuterie board for NYE.
Crostinis or toasted points with goat cheese and a jam sounds tasty too.
Saltimbocca is something I haven't made but this would be a good opportunity to expand cooking skills. Same with the roasted red peppers and mozz.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The chicken saltimbocca was in a really old cookbook I stole from my mom. I made it for a g/f on her second dinner at my apartment. She married me 3 1/2 years later. Its a Valentine's Day staple.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The chicken saltimbocca was in a really old cookbook I stole from my mom. I made it for a g/f on her second dinner at my apartment. She married me 3 1/2 years later. Its a Valentine's Day staple.

Very nice. I knew Mrs Diesel was a keeper when she made me home made pierogis from scratch.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One thing I did learn a few years ago making an app for a party with the melons and cantaloupe and prosciutto.

Gotta serve quickly after prepping or the salt from the meat extracts all the water out of melon and you have an ungodly mess of goop.

Reaction Score
Good suggestions so far. Once it gets passed to me and I cook a few of these suggestions, I'll post pics.

We definitely do not have a meat slicer not do our neighbors. That was part of our amusement of how to use the gift. Tried that long carving knife in the pic but skill is definitely lacking in how to make a uniform thin cut.

Asparagus wrapped is a good idea.

I actually went to a butcher and got prosciutto for a charcuterie board for NYE.
Crostinis or toasted points with goat cheese and a jam sounds tasty too.
Saltimbocca is something I haven't made but this would be a good opportunity to expand cooking skills. Same with the roasted red peppers and mozz.
All the suggestions are good but I wouldn't mess with cooking it or making stuffed chicken. Do that with stuff you get at the grocery store but if I had a leg of it like that it's so damn good on it's own I would only slice it right off the bone and eat it or as charcuterie with the cheeses, melon, and bread that compliment it. Maybe cook with the scraps.

Reaction Score
Cut a few chicken breasts off the bone but leave the skin on. Stuff it under the skin with a mixture of chopped thin-sliced prosciutto, Boursin and fontina. Season the skin with paprika and salt and pan sear in butter for 5 minutes on medium high heat, skin down.
put them in a separate pan and in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. De-glaze pan with sherry and Marsala, and spoon the sauce over the chicken when done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom