Props to Megan | The Boneyard

Props to Megan

Reaction Score
I just keep thinking and writing this and want to do it again. Forget about her box score; forget about how Geno chides her publicly (standard stuff; catch what he really thinks in the interview right after the game that's on the posted complete game video).

This kid has got it. Big time. Isolate on her and watch the way she moves on defense. 15000 screaming fans and on national TV, and the kid is calm and playing on instinct, like she was in a high school pick-up game. She just flows with the action. And can she sky: watch that ribbie she gets fouled on with about 3:20 to go in the game.

My prediction: there is one and only one Gabby. But next year, she moves into a Gabby-like role, bringing flow and energy, snapping ribbies. And she's a better shot and scorer. If she were on virtually any other team, she'd be in contention for NFOY. She'll be on the AA watch list her junior year, and possibly NPOY her senior year.

Looking forward to her getting even more playing time (hoping they rest Lou a bit), as well as AEH (and of course everyone else).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just keep thinking and writing this and want to do it again. Forget about her box score; forget about how Geno chides her publicly (standard stuff; catch what he really thinks in the interview right after the game that's on the posted complete game video).

This kid has got it. Big time. Isolate on her and watch the way she moves on defense. 15000 screaming fans and on national TV, and the kid is calm and playing on instinct, like she was in a high school pick-up game. She just flows with the action. And can she sky: watch that ribbie she gets fouled on with about 3:20 to go in the game.

My prediction: there is one and only one Gabby. But next year, she moves into a Gabby-like role, bringing flow and energy, snapping ribbies. And she's a better shot and scorer. If she were on virtually any other team, she'd be in contention for NFOY. She'll be on the AA watch list her junior year, and possibly NPOY her senior year.

Looking forward to her getting even more playing time (hoping they rest Lou a bit), as well as AEH (and of course everyone else).
Agree 100%. On a team of superstars, an uber-talented freshman like Megan does not get to shine - she's not a starter, and is not needed to score in bunches for us to win.

For example, for all that some are talking about Chennedy Carter for aTm (who IS a terrific player), yesterday she scored 20 points in a losing effort to WV, but needed 22 shots to make only 7 of them. She's the leading scorer on her team with 19 PPG, but is taking at least 15 shots per game. Megan on the other hand is taking about 5 shots per game.

My point is there are a lot of very talented freshmen. But many of them are being asked to shoulder a huge load for scoring on less talented teams. I'm thrilled we have Megan, AND that she seems to get what it takes to be great at UCONN. All her hard work will pay off in the future.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Walker has it all, already. Not only a great player, a great team player. Against Top 3 competition she grabbed most of the rebounds when the game was on the line. On offense she's comfortable with and without the ball. I really think she's AA caliber now. I wouldn't trade her even up for anyone on the ND roster. And I mean as a current player not on future potential.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Agree, she looks like she's gonna be a really good one.

Reaction Score
Megan played 16 mins but has 6 drebs in the 4Q. She is fearless. Just love this girl .....

$

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I Witch (with a B) about Geno's comments on his players--but with WALKER, he has had great comments, and expectations fo her abilities.
I agree with Walker, is superb, her defense, her abilities to rebound in the trees, her scoring is a bit off and on--few Frosh don't do that--when it comes--it will be WOW, every Game. Did I say I LIKE MEGAN!

AEH, too is without fear, for a frosh, I have great hopes.

Bags--There IS only one Gabby- she went like 20 feet up to grab a rebound, as much as I love Megan, everything, she can't compete in leaping. Yet the kid has a nose for the ball, and you really can't teach that--she plays like a Soph/Jr--not a frosh.

Reaction Score
Megan definitely made a nice deposit in the 'trust' bank yesterday. Keep adding to it in practice and she will get serious consideration as AAC frosh of the year. Gotta believe that she will be able to have her way much more in conference play.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

After all the other good things Megan'd done in the game, the thing that made me turn to Colleen and say "She's gonna be a great one" was that on the RB you mentioned, after being fouled and on her way to the floor, she was still looking for someone to pass to, found one and made a good outlet bounce pass before she hit. Superb! instincts.

Reaction Score
Megan's going to be up and down all year. She will do some good things interspersed with bad things. I'm expecting uneven play from her the rest of the year because that's how it goes for all freshmen.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was thinking of her as a Gabby but with a better jumper... and of course freshman Gabby's role wasn't as big as MKW role is with this team

Reaction Score

That drive to the hoop showed determination.

Reaction Score
If there are any fans who ought to be well-schooled in the phenomenon known as the “Sophomore Leap,” it is us. Yet, while very rarely an unusually transcendant talent will have a big-impact Freshman season, that possibility remains a distinct exception, even for a player of Stewie’s caliber (for most of her year one campaign). Still, we fans exhibit, at least in my opinion, shockingly unrealistic expectations of new players, based mainly on their high school press clippings, despite the obvious reality that they are making a huge leap to play for the most demanding coach in the game. Ironically, no other program offers such budding stars the luxury of developing their talents at a pace that doesn’t pin excessive expectations on them (except from certain fans). Megan Walker is clearly the real deal, as her ongoing development will abundantly demonstrate. But, realistically speaking, she won’t become MEGAN WALKER ‘til next season!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If there are any fans who ought to be well-schooled in the phenomenon known as the “Sophomore Leap,” it is us. Yet, while very rarely an unusually transcendant talent will have a big-impact Freshman season, that possibility remains a distinct exception, even for a player of Stewie’s caliber (for most of her year one campaign). Still, we fans exhibit, at least in my opinion, shockingly unrealistic expectations of new players, based mainly on their high school press clippings, despite the obvious reality that they are making a huge leap to play for the most demanding coach in the game. Ironically, no other program offers such budding stars the luxury of developing their talents at a pace that doesn’t pin excessive expectations on them (except from certain fans). Megan Walker is clearly the real deal, as her ongoing development will abundantly demonstrate. But, realistically speaking, she won’t become MEGAN WALKER ‘til next season!
Well said Big and quantified by @bballnut90 in an earlier thread.

The jump from freshman year to sophomore year has become pretty standard for Huskies who were highly touted recruits:
KLS-role player as freshmen, 1st AA as sophomores
Collier-role player as freshmen, 1st AA as sophomores
Stewart-2nd in BE FOY voting, NPOY as a sophomore
Taurasi-2nd in BE FOY voting, 2nd AA as a sophomore
Jefferson-role player as freshman, no significant hardware as a sophomore, but she was much improved
Hartley-role player as freshman, earned some AA honors as a sophomore
KML-very good scorer but no AA honors as a freshman, 2nd AA as a sophomore
Abrosimova-no AA honors as a freshman, AA honors as a sophomore
Most of those players were either #1 recruits or top 10. The only outlier is Abrosimova, who would've been a top 5 recruit had she played HS ball in the states. Dangerfield looks on track to join this list if she can keep up her stellar play.

Reaction Score

Totally agree. Not hard to see where this is headed. I’m scratching my head in ongoing amazement at posts that express surprise... pleasant surprise, yes, but surprise nevertheless...at the “emergence” of Crystal’s sophomore year talent, and her remarkable “transformation.” How many times have we seen this movie? I know these young players must have a lot of days when they ask themselves, “What the hell did I sign up for?” But, ultimately, they know exactly what they signed up for...and we get to enjoy the results!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unless you don't have an eye for potential talent, you can see the glimpses of Megan's potential in their first seven games thus far. Right now, she's the second man off the bench. A role she'll probably keep the rest of the year. No doubt she'll continue to show those same glimpses of potential that Crystal showed last year. Look how Crystal has blossomed.

Megan will probably take Gabby's place in the starting rotation next year. A topic that will no doubt be discussed and debated ad nauseam here in the boneyard over the summer. I agree with Bigpetunia above: It's not hard to see where she's headed. If you can't see it, you're not watching. You can see it in her calm demeanor, even while she still trying to figure things out.

12951807.jpeg

She doesn't have that wide-eyed "deer in the headlights", or "I'm in over my head" look like Moriah and Crystal had at times their freshman year. She's got All-American written all over her. She's special. Just give it time. She's going to continue to amaze (and grow) as they move into the conference portion of their season, and Geno can afford to expose (not give) her to more meaningful playing time as she earns it. The staff knows they are really really going to need her come March. They'll have her ready. We keep hearing about her high BB IQ. She knows she has a lot of work to do in learning how to play at this level, and play it to Geno's satisfaction. Don't be surprised if she makes that "sophomore leap" a year early.

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Unless you don't have an eye for potential talent, you can see the glimpses of Megan's potential in their first seven games thus far. Right now, she's the second man off the bench. A role she'll probably keep the rest of the year. No doubt she'll continue to show those same glimpses of potential that Crystal showed last year. Look how Crystal has blossomed.

Megan will probably take Gabby's place in the starting rotation next year. A topic that will no doubt be discussed and debated ad nauseam here in the boneyard over the summer. I agree with Bigpetunia above: It's not hard to see where she's headed. If you can't see it, you're not watching. You can see it in her calm demeanor, even while she still trying to figure things out.

12951807.jpeg

She doesn't have that wide-eyed "deer in the headlights" look like Moriah and Crystal had their freshman year. She's got All-American written all over her. She's special. Just give it time. She's going to continue to amaze (and grow) as they move into the conference portion of their season, and Geno can afford to expose (not give) her to more meaningful playing time as she earns it. The staff knows they are really really going to need her come March. They'll have her ready.

I do not agree that Crystal in her freshman year had "deer in the headlights" look. She was inconsistent, could make silly mistakes and could disappear and probably had issues with conditioning but I did not see fear and she had several good games against top OOC teams as well as the famous Baylor game. Of course I agree that she is far better this year in all facets (Confidence above all else).

The point I want to make is that if I was going to rate Megan's Freshman year so far with Crystal's Freshman year, I think Crystal's was better. Megan's potential is off the charts and I agree she does not have the deer in headlights visage that many of our freshman have but she really has only shown spurts of impactful play as of yet. Let her grow into her game.

Reaction Score
I do not agree that Crystal in her freshman year had "deer in the headlights" look. She was inconsistent, could make silly mistakes and could disappear and probably had issues with conditioning but I did not see fear and she had several good games against top OOC teams as well as the famous Baylor game. Of course I agree that she is far better this year in all facets (Confidence above all else).

The point I want to make is that if I was going to rate Megan's Freshman year so far with Crystal's Freshman year, I think Crystal's was better. Megan's potential is off the charts and I agree she does not have the deer in headlights visage that many of our freshman have but she really has only shown spurts of impactful play as of yet. Let her grow into her game.
Interesting, but I disagree big time on the comparison (though this is just barroom chatter between us, because how can we possibly compare?).
I think Crystal had one fabulous game and a couple of good showings, but turned the ball over way too much (in fairness to her, she was playing the point and that's a lot more responsibility) and a lot of unfortunate shots (which in the first few games this year she also did a couple of times, to Geno's clear displeasure). But Megan has been steady-Eddy, always within herself, and just seems to know what her role is at all times. Crystal didn't play the 6 final minutes of regulation or any of the overtime in the semis last year, and Geno told her why: he didn't trust her. I don't see that happening with Megan. Not to say that I'm not wild about Crystal, because I am. Just I think rarely have we seen a freshman with such sangfroid as Megan.
But again, just barroom chatter. pass the peanuts, please.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting, but I disagree big time on the comparison (though this is just barroom chatter between us, because how can we possibly compare?).
I think Crystal had one fabulous game and a couple of good showings, but turned the ball over way too much (in fairness to her, she was playing the point and that's a lot more responsibility) and a lot of unfortunate shots (which in the first few games this year she also did a couple of times, to Geno's clear displeasure). But Megan has been steady-Eddy, always within herself, and just seems to know what her role is at all times. Crystal didn't play the 6 final minutes of regulation or any of the overtime in the semis last year, and Geno told her why: he didn't trust her. I don't see that happening with Megan. Not to say that I'm not wild about Crystal, because I am. Just I think rarely have we seen a freshman with such sangfroid as Megan.

One of those agree to disagree moments but I would like to comment on the FF trust issue. As you already pointed out, the PG position is far more critical in the performance of the team in high stress environments. I agree that Crystal's level of play did not allow Geno to trust/use her in the most critical part of the season. Since Megan's role seems to be to provide Intensity, Rebounding, Defense and Physicality which are generally talent driven, she should be able to handle that even under the most stressful game conditions. Significant offense from her is not critical at this stage with the offensive firepower we already have and would be icing on the cake.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A rose by by any other name is still a rose. I chose to use the "deer/headlights" term, as others here have. If you don't agree, I can respect that. No argument here, it just means we have different points of view, and that's OK. :)

I saw it. Crystal and Moriah had the same look at times. Especially early in the season. They appeared to be afraid at times to make a mistake, an error in judgment or perhaps to be out of place on a defensive play/assignment that would cause them to be immediately pulled out of the game. I never saw again after Jefferson's freshman year, and have not so far this season in Crystal's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. On a team of superstars, an uber-talented freshman like Megan does not get to shine - she's not a starter, and is not needed to score in bunches for us to win.

For example, for all that some are talking about Chennedy Carter for aTm (who IS a terrific player), yesterday she scored 20 points in a losing effort to WV, but needed 22 shots to make only 7 of them. She's the leading scorer on her team with 19 PPG, but is taking at least 15 shots per game. Megan on the other hand is taking about 5 shots per game.

My point is there are a lot of very talented freshmen. But many of them are being asked to shoulder a huge load for scoring on less talented teams. I'm thrilled we have Megan, AND that she seems to get what it takes to be great at UCONN. All her hard work will pay off in the future.

Eric/Bags---CERTAINLY--you are right.

Some real shooters on Uconn teams have gotten 22 for 7, a Frosh, rarely. Megan Walker, misses 2 shots and we all go---what's wrong with her? First she is a frosh with less than 20 minutes total in her games.
Megan is now defending, scoring (a bit), rebounding well, and looks on the floor as though she know where she is and where she is going and doing what Geno's teaching says she should be doing. --I>E. she gets it. Others, with more PT and Div 1 experience have yet to get it: Darn it, it's simple: Relax, play the game you know, don't over think, follow Geno's instructions but stop asking--what should I do--you know what that is --DO IT. If these kids didn't know the basics and a bit more they'd be playing for Duke--but at Uconn Geno knows their game; go with the flow and just play.

Reaction Score
I do not agree that Crystal in her freshman year had "deer in the headlights" look. She was inconsistent, could make silly mistakes and could disappear and probably had issues with conditioning but I did not see fear and she had several good games against top OOC teams as well as the famous B
Taylor game. Of course I agree that she is far better this year in all facets (Confidence above all else).Dan
EEBMG--

I can't accept Danger had the "deer in the headlights look" THINK BAYLOR. Then concussion, then sitting, at the end of the year GENO trusted her enough to be in BIG games--even the last game. That to me is TRUST and it paid off for this year.
The Baylor game was what her second or third game to watch at Uconn? Come on--if that's a deer in the headlights--sign up a dozen more.
Megan, hasn't yet had a Danger Baylor game. Megan's rebounding, game skill, defense, and game sense is ton's more than we could havc asked. She's had no concussions, no set back, that hampered Danger. Give Megan some time she may make stupid Frosh mistakes--most do--

Obviously, I have liked Dangers game even before UC, same with Megan---My opiniion--Geno is lucky to have them both--in the next 3 years he will ride them to 2 or more NC's . I hope Mykyla and Alexi and AEH do as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But again, just barroom chatter. pass the peanuts, please.

Give bags the whole bag to soak the beer up. Meghan and Crystal comparisons are just plain silly. Crystal - point guard - gotta see the floor, dribble, pass, shot, etc - Megs, gotta drift around and try to be in a spot to shoot and rebound. Whole diff thing. Relax. they'll both be up in the rafters. Crystal did okay for a freshman PG we asked to be a star. Megs is doing an okay job with flashes of what is to come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom