Projected Starting Line Up | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

Reaction Score
I think seniority is rewarded in the starting lineup, so Hass, Ball, McNeeley, AK, Samson. If AK goes, Stewart, but Stewart gets 25-30 minutes regardless. Reed likely plays more than Samson and finishes many games, but comes off the bench. Nowell gets 25-30 too and may finish games alongside Hass.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If AK stays in the draft, the chances of Stewart starting go up significantly. And I certainly hope you’re right about Solo’s game improving enough to take the job from a known quantity like Mahaney (because that’s an amazing problem to have). But the statement that it’s 100% both start is a bit bonkers.
Improves aka has a real role in the offense.

Reaction Score
On paper Mahaney is our best 6th man, an excellent combo guard who can close. Starting Diarra with Ball makes a lot of sense to begin the season. McNeeley is expected to be on the ball some from the 3. Personally very excited for Abraham. He's got the potential to absolutely crush lower expectations.

Reaction Score
On paper Mahaney is our best 6th man, an excellent combo guard who can close. Starting Diarra with Ball makes a lot of sense to begin the season. McNeeley is expected to be on the ball some from the 3. Personally very excited for Abraham. He's got the potential to absolutely crush lower expectations.

Kid averaged 14ppg on a top-25 team. The likelihood of him coming off the bench is monumentally low. Idk what some of y'all are smoking.

Reaction Score
Kid averaged 14ppg on a top-25 team. The likelihood of him coming off the bench is monumentally low. Idk what some of y'all are smoking.

Yup... I expect him to start at either the 1 or 2.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
we all need to agree on 5 simple concepts:

1) starting 1 is either diarra or nowell
2) starting 2 is either mahaney or ball
3) starting 3 is either mcneeley or stew or ball
4) starting 4 is either karaban or stew
5) starting 5 is either reed or johnson

period. the end. based on our personnel, this is the broadest possible extent of the debate in terms of who starts. anything else is silly talk.

Hot take.

Reaction Score
Not as wild as guaranteeing (100%) that they will both start

I wasn’t confident until Hurleys recent interviews where he called those two out specifically as expecting major jumps. That won’t happen riding the bench

Reaction Score
I wasn’t confident until Hurleys recent interviews where he called those two out specifically as expecting major jumps. That won’t happen riding the bench
I doubt neither will “be riding the bench”. Even if Ball or Stewart don’t start they will see significant time on the court.

Reaction Score
I doubt neither will “be riding the bench”. Even if Ball or Stewart don’t start they will see significant time on the court.

They both will start so it won’t matter.

Reaction Score
Who is he starting over? Solo and Stewie are starting 100%.
There’s a lot of people that think Solo might not start. But I personally think he starts alongside Solo in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
I think going into the season it'll be:

Diarra
Mahaney
Stewart
Karaban
Reed/Johnson

Then first 3 off the bench: McNeeley, Solo, Reed/Johnson

But the great thing is if Diarra or Stewart or someone isn't playing how they need to play we have so many different lineup possibilities that Hurley can tinker with like Mahaney/McNeeley/Stewart/Karaban/Reed or Mahaney/Solo/McNeeley/Karaban/Johnson or whatever

Reaction Score
If Stewart doesn't improve 27% 3-pt shooting, he'll get plenty of minutes--but start over the best shooter in high school ball this year?
Diarra and Ball have been challenged to step up their playmaking--but Nowell and Mahaney are very good shooters who also can both direct the offense.

Reaction Score
Personally, I ignore all projected lineups that include Karaban. Alex has declared for the draft ("a lifelong dream"), written a farrewell note to fans, and DH has recruited a 5-star freshman to replace him. Looks like a sealed deal to me.

I am not among those, btw, who feel that having Alex, Stewart and McNeeley fighting for the two forward positions is "a nice problem to have." All three would be deserving major-minute starters, and it's always best to give your deserving starters starter's minutes.

I don't think DH expects to have such a problem, and, equally relevant, I don't think Alex intends to create one.
Like everyone here, I would love to win 3 in a row. I'll be crushed if we get bounced from the tourney before we bag another championship.

AK returning gives us the best chance of that.

But also, I would love to go into the season with a brand-new starting five. Whatever we accomplish next year, think how awesome it will be with that extra degree of difficulty.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Boldest prediction yet. Not only will Solo start, he will do so at both guard positions!
All aboard the Solo at PG train!

It’s honestly the best roster fit that makes sense for everyone to have adequate playing time and roles.

Reaction Score
Mahaney and Karaban (if he returns) are the penciled-in starters barring a calamity of an off-season. I don't know what some of y'all are thinking.

Stewart and Diarra are the next surest things. But it wouldn't surprise me if Nowell and McNeeley outperform them either. It's going to be a fight in practice and the team will be better for it.

Solo, Johnson, Reed need to develop to be starting-level players. Penciling in any of them is just silly. If Solo can't learn to pass or handle the ball, he isn't going to play much. If Johnson fouls 8x per 40, he's not starting. If Reed turns the ball over 25% of the time, he's not starting. Every one of those guys needs to understand that they aren't good enough right now, and it's time to put in the work to earn their minutes on a championship team.

Then the freshman. I could see Abraham earning decent minutes because of his defense and physicality. I'd be shocked if McNeeley wasn't the first wing off the bench if he isn't starting. And Nowell is too talented to not see the floor; it will all depend on how his defense translates and when he gets used to the faster pace of play. Not much room for error when you're only 6-foot.

Ross and Singare need a HUGE off-season to play, frankly. Their rate of improvement will need to be astounding, and they better know it, and do something about it.

And for those easily offended: This is my opinion.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.
When you take everything into account.

We have a transfer from a top 25 team that is going to want big minutes. Stewart is looking for a larger role after biding his time for the upperclassman and same with Solo.

Diarra does next expect a starter role, neither will Nowell.

Obviously talent is going to play into the decision as well, but it makes the most sense for Solo to play PG and be the guy alongside Mahaney, Stewart, and whoever between AK or LM. If we want any shot at 7 he has to be the guy to take the leap.

We aren’t winning with a backcourt of Diarra and Mahaney trying to be the best guards in the country. No disrespect to those guys. Solo has the talent to be that. Diarra is an amazing 6th man.

Price (Solo), Austrie (Diarra), Kemba (Nowell), Dyson (Mahaney) is how those roles and minutes can be allocated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom