Prognosticators Game One (CAL) Predictions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Prognosticators Game One (CAL) Predictions

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tough to come up with a score in this one. 2 days out we’re still not sure if Evina will be eligible, who the 5th starter will be or what the bench rotation will look like. I anticipate some ugly play by the Huskies at times, but the Golden Bears have their own issues and they’re coming completely across the country to face UConn.

Huskies win 76-61.

Reaction Score
You could just claim fuzzy math.
You may be right but my computer is locked up---more likely---Fuzzy brain. Like many bodily functions: The once infallible memory is failing.

Reaction Score
Tough to come up with a score in this one. 2 days out we’re still not sure if Evina will be eligible, who the 5th starter will be or what the bench rotation will look like. I anticipate some ugly play by the Huskies at times, but the Golden Bears have their own issues and they’re coming completely across the country to face UConn.

Huskies win 76-61.
It is pretty safe to say Evina won't play on Sunday. What isn't factual is Who THE 5TH starter maybe. My belief is Ania will get the nod. With Aubrey being the 6th.. After that I'll roll the dice.
I think because of the condition of the UConn AND Cal teams the anticipated 90 scores isn't likely. Frankly if the score is 18 to 19 (as Uconn and URI once had (in that range). as long a Uconn wins--pretty will happen but not too soon.

Reaction Score
I was HORRIBLE at this last year but i'll give it a shot along with some comments.

UCONN was great in the 2 exhibition games in turning defense into offense - fast break, getting in passing lanes, etc. But... especially in game 2, they were nothing short of awful in the half court, especially when Crystal was not on the floor. They also got faked out too many times on jab steps letting the other team shoot a wide open 3. A team that is patient on offense showed that they could eventually get UCONN out of position and get an open shot - we basically played a Div 2 team even in the 2nd half. We gave up over 50 points to them. A fast paced team like Oregon could put up 90+ on us with defense like that.

Moreover, Cal is a physical team. I suspect that while Lou and Phee could play thru overly physical play, I'm not so sure Meg, Christyn, or Olivia can. I think Cal plays a very physical style. I think they will bump cutters and try to foul on every possession, which means refs likely won't call it every time down the floor. If that all happens, I can see a much closer game than many would like. Cal is "ranked" in the 35-45 range - getting some votes in some of the polls. It's not like they are a scrub team.

UCONN 79
Cal 69
@EricLA --while I at times tease you, I respect your words. However, I think you undersell CW, Megan, Danger, possibly even Olivia Nelson Ododa (ONO). Megan has for 2 plus years been banged around in the post she's one tough Chesterfield, Va kid.. Richmond/Chesterfield isn't for sissys. CW--Little Rock Arkansas (??) it's wonderful town but again no sissys play there. They take their sports seriously. Danger for 3 plus years has proven her mental and physical toughness, no explanation is needed. So, the question is ONO, Griffin--Ania played in the European Pros--nuf said. Griffin--I know of only one not tough kid living in New York her relatives earned the reputation of NY.
Griffin played in some tough leagues. If they get bounced around and tugged or pulled or bumped as the cut through the lane---welcome to Uconn basketball. Not to worry, Geno is tougher than any team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is pretty safe to say Evina won't play on Sunday. What isn't factual is Who THE 5TH starter maybe. My belief is Ania will get the nod. With Aubrey being the 6th.. After that I'll roll the dice.
I think because of the condition of the UConn AND Cal teams the anticipated 90 scores isn't likely. Frankly if the score is 18 to 19 (as Uconn and URI once had (in that range). as long a Uconn wins--pretty will happen but not too soon.
I’m still hoping against hope for an 11th hour reprieve from the NCAA granting Evina’s waiver request on appeal sometime this afternoon.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was HORRIBLE at this last year but i'll give it a shot along with some comments.

UCONN was great in the 2 exhibition games in turning defense into offense - fast break, getting in passing lanes, etc. But... especially in game 2, they were nothing short of awful in the half court, especially when Crystal was not on the floor. They also got faked out too many times on jab steps letting the other team shoot a wide open 3. A team that is patient on offense showed that they could eventually get UCONN out of position and get an open shot - we basically played a Div 2 team even in the 2nd half. We gave up over 50 points to them. A fast paced team like Oregon could put up 90+ on us with defense like that.

Moreover, Cal is a physical team. I suspect that while Lou and Phee could play thru overly physical play, I'm not so sure Meg, Christyn, or Olivia can. I think Cal plays a very physical style. I think they will bump cutters and try to foul on every possession, which means refs likely won't call it every time down the floor. If that all happens, I can see a much closer game than many would like. Cal is "ranked" in the 35-45 range - getting some votes in some of the polls. It's not like they are a scrub team.

UCONN 79
Cal 69

Eric, ALWAYS with some comments. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m still hoping against hope for an 11th hour reprieve from the NCAA granting Evina’s waiver request on appeal sometime this afternoon.

Me Too. :oops:

Carnac

Reaction Score

In the first two games, Anna and Aubrey have proven to be good rebounders, which means more possessions for us, and less for them. I predict Anna starts, with Aubrey or Kayla first off the bench. Right now, I doubt Molly or Evelyn would be first off the bench. I expect the starters to play 27-33 minutes today, unless they run off and hide from Cal early, more if Cal is able to keep it close.

Reaction Score
I'll join you in that prayer, or hope, or by-golly. I've said more than I should have on this topic---but!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
LOL

I'm laughing bc no Cal fan on the Cal board would be as optimistic for the Bears as the replies I'm seeing.

Yes, Cal kept the score pretty close last year but that was a fluke PLUS having Kristine Anigwe (who actually didn't even play well).

Cal is expected to be rebuilding and picked to finish very very low in the conference, the lowest for Cal in maybe 20 years. And the Cal fans are not arguing! We see this as being sort of an exploratory season but still excited for the new HC and long-time assistant Charmin Smith to get her chance, and we are ecstatic about our recruiting class (a top 20, top 40, and top 60, plus a promising Euro guard) but they don't come til next year.

Most Cal fans would maaaybe expect and be satisfied with a score around 75-50 score, UConn. But Cal has really enjoyed the series with UConn and would love to see it continued if possible.

Recall, Cal lost Kiana Smith who transferred to Louisville (who would have been expected to be the best returnee) and also McD's AA Forbes (transferred to Harvard). 3 starters graduated. Our only real post to replace Anigwe (Celeste West) has battled injuries much of her career and not in the best shape as a result). We will likely have a freshman point guard starting who was a late signee after her original choice Pepperdine had a coaching change, and although she's been promising in early glimpses she was not a ranked recruit out of HS.

Last edited:

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
92 - 62, Good Guys.
Also, thanks for organizing this and provided scoring guidelines in first post.
Happy hunting!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As last year's regular season winner I've decided to retire as a champion, but I'll be watching this year's contest.
Come on, Geno didn't quit after his first championship, DEFEND your title.:cool::cool::cool:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
UConn 84 Cal 64 MOV 20

Walker 22 points
Molly 16 minutes 3 assists, 2 steals
Olivia 11 rebounds, 4 blocks
Makurat second on the team with 8 rebounds
Griffin 3 steals, 2 blocks, 6 rebounds in 18 minutes

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cal loses at Harvard tonight 56-53. Anyone want to change their prediction for Sunday’s game?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cal loses at Harvard tonight 56-53. Anyone want to change their prediction for Sunday’s game?

Cal looked awful in every way. Had a 10 pt half time lead at 29-19. Harvard just chipped away . There goes our SOS. :rolleyes:

Maybe they played this way intentionally so we can't get any useful scouting material. :eek:

Reaction Score
I think I was in the top 5 last year... and most of my predictions were in the 2nd half of the season. So I’m giving it a shot. I say we win 90-45. A simple double ‘em up!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think I was in the top 5 last year... and most of my predictions were in the 2nd half of the season. So I’m giving it a shot. I say we win 90-45. A simple double ‘em up!
Close, you were tied for 7th with WestCoastPup, Rblack335, and last but not least MSGRET.;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom