Proceed with CAUTION moving forward | The Boneyard

Proceed with CAUTION moving forward

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well GTown coming up tomorrow. I feel its very important for those players coming back from injuries to not play to many minutes with the schedule we have moving forward. I say that because we can not risk anymore injuries moving forward. We still need our rest and rest at this point can only make us better. IMO the 2 most important things is to Win and avoid getting reinjured. One way to avoid reinjuring's is to not play to many minutes to fast. With that said we have Tenn Depaul SC and Creighton coming up where we may need everybody on board and that may mean more minutes.

We look to be at a point where we are slowly getting back to being healthy. Next step is to get up to speed which I feel should happen slowly. We have shown we are good enough to win without all of top players playing. We are now at a point where we have some of those top players back, so lets not over use them. I feel healthy and up to speed we are the best team in the country. SC is a game I really want us to put on show and win and if we dont much like Stanford losing to SC our ranking shouldnt change. With that said I dont believe we loose to SC if we are ready to go. I think from reading the posts on the board many of us feel that way too.

Now that Azzi is healthy we saw what happened against STJ. Lou hit a very high percentage of shots and Azzi had almost as many point as minutes played. Something that will only get better as long as Azzi remains on the floor. With Azzi on the floor everybody else plays better. Now we wait for Caroline and Ayanna to get back. As tuff as its been with all the injuries I feel we are better for it because so many other players got playtime they might not necessarily get. We have great outside shooters, and imo better outside shooters then any team in the country. We have a great point guard. We have really good defense and 2 lock down defenders. We have bigs that are mobile and can score inside or out. In a nutshell we have it all and it will only work if we stay healthy

All I can say is Proceed with Caution. We still have a long season ahead of us. If you can see what I see and that is we have a great chance to go undefeated the rest of the season... and only if we are healthy

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Geno simply doesn't seem to be very concerned about minutes played otherwise Ines and Amari would be playing more in noncompetitive games........hopefully the Georgetown game will be so lopsided that he figures it's time to call off the Huskies, and use what bench he has for significant minutes.....

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Geno simply doesn't seem to be very concerned about minutes played otherwise Ines and Amari would be playing more in noncompetitive games........hopefully the Georgetown game will be so lopsided that he figures it's time to call off the Huskies, and use what bench he has for significant minutes.....

Can I just say that I maybe enjoy CD’s rotations a little bit more than Coach’s? Seeing Inês and Amari in the first quarter of games that’ll end in a 20+ point win is pretty refreshing.

Reaction Score
Can I just say that I maybe enjoy CD’s rotations a little bit more than Coach’s? Seeing Inês and Amari in the first quarter of games that’ll end in a 20+ point win is pretty refreshing.
I felt the same way..........why not get them in early before the outcome is assured to stress test them and to rest the starters throughout the game? I wouldn't be doing it against South Carolina but against Georgetown......... I think so......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There is a method to Geno’s madness. He knows exactly where his team needs to be and how to get them there. We all know he’s going to shorten his rotation to 7-8 players during the tournament. I don’t expect Amari or Ines to be in that rotation.

Note.... I love Amari. I’m one of the biggest supporters and boosters of hers in the boneyard. There is no “hateration” here for her or Ines. They can be used right now to limit the number of minutes for his “core” players in the remaining games leading up to that first tournament game.

As fans, it’s natural for us to be concerned and critical of what we see in games right now. Geno is looking ahead to March. To have this team in the best possible place to win 6 games, he needs to have ALL of his ducks in order and lined up.

When I read comments about posters wanting to see Amari and Ines get more playing time, I understand their point of view, but that’s not part of Geno’s overall game plan.

From the 3rd tournament game on, except because of injury or fouls, I don’t expect to see either of them on the floor. Geno will be trying to win a championship, not a popularity contest.

It’s easy to be critical of every move a coach makes. There are reasons we don’t know about why coaches shuffle certain players in and out of a game, and why some languish on the bench.

Geno knows what he’ll get from Amari and Ines. When he needs what they bring, he’ll use them. Remember, they won’t play in games the 2nd and 3rd weekend.

If you really want to have some fun the rest of the season, try watching the games through Geno’s eyes and not yours. You’ll see a completely different game.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
With a big crowd at the XL, the fans are going to want to see a UConn feast fest.
Azzi could probably use a workout, maybe Carol & Ayanna are on limited PT since it's their 1st game back from concussion protocol.

Reaction Score
There is a method to Geno’s madness. He knows exactly where his team needs to be and how to get them there. We all know he’s going to shorten his rotation to 7-8 players during the tournament. I don’t expect Amari or Ines to be in that rotation.

Note.... I love Amari. I’m one of the biggest supporters and boosters of hers in the boneyard. There is no “hateration” here for her or Ines. They can be used right now to limit the number of minutes for his “core” players in the remaining games leading up to that first tournament game.

As fans, it’s natural for us to be concerned and critical of what we see in games right now. Geno is looking ahead to March. To have this team in the best possible place to win 6 games, he needs to have ALL of his ducks in order and lined up.

When I read comments about posters wanting to see Amari and Ines get more playing time, I understand their point of view, but that’s not part of Geno’s overall game plan.

From the 3rd tournament game on, except because of injury or fouls, I don’t expect to see either of them on the floor. Geno will be trying to win a championship, not a popularity contest.

It’s easy to be critical of every move a coach makes. There are reasons we don’t know about why coaches shuffle certain players in and out of a game, and why some languish on the bench.

Geno knows what he’ll get from Amari and Ines. When he needs what they bring, he’ll use them. Remember, they won’t play in games the 2nd and 3rd weekend.

If you really want to have some fun the rest of the season, try watching the games through Geno’s eyes and not yours. You’ll see a completely different game.
the point of playing the bench is more about saving the legs of the starters than anything else........the starters get more tired as the season progresses so if you can cut down their playing time a bit each game it really helps with the accumulated wear and tear...........bench players gaining more experience and hopefully more confidence is a secondary benefit but one that may pay dividends if the injury bug continues to strike.........of course, one wouldn't expect to see Ines and Amari in the last few games of the big tournament but what happens if Nika tweaks an ankle or Dorka hurts her finger or wrist again? UConn may need those bench players to fill in during those important games so the more experience they get the better......ultimately, we all want to see UConn back in the Final Four and getting there at the end of this season is going to involve skill, hard work and a good amount of luck...

Carnac

Reaction Score
the point of playing the bench is more about saving the legs of the starters than anything else........the starters get more tired as the season progresses so if you can cut down their playing time a bit each game it really helps with the accumulated wear and tear...........bench players gaining more experience and hopefully more confidence is a secondary benefit but one that may pay dividends if the injury bug continues to strike.........of course, one wouldn't expect to see Ines and Amari in the last few games of the big tournament but what happens if Nika tweaks an ankle or Dorka hurts her finger or wrist again? UConn may need those bench players to fill in during those important games so the more experience they get the better......ultimately, we all want to see UConn back in the Final Four and getting there at the end of this season is going to involve skill, hard work and a a good amount of luck...
Charlie, I completely understand and agree with your point of view on this.

Reaction Score
The issue is that what seem to be UConn's best starting 5 (Nika, Azzi, Lou, AE and Dorka) got very few games together because of the various injuries and they need to be in sinc when we'll get to the BE tournament and the NCAA tournament. I agree that it is important to have players like Amari and Ines real gam time minutes to have them ready for a possibility of either foul trouble or GF injuries so it's a fine line Geno is walking

Reaction Score

Yes, I understand that Geno knows what he's doing and has done it to the success of 11 NC. But as some of the posters have pointed out, he doesn't give opportunity for his bench to grow and develop. Playing your starters for the entire game is fine, if you don't expect the unexpected , injuries or illnesses that throw a monkey wrench in your overall flawless strategy. Example: last year, how many blowout games did we have, but despite this, Amari DeBerry gets little or no playing time and then she's thrown into the national championship game against SC, raw and underdeveloped...
That is why I immensely prefer CD's early rotation strategy to Geno's.

Reaction Score
the point of playing the bench is more about saving the legs of the starters than anything else........the starters get more tired as the season progresses so if you can cut down their playing time a bit each game it really helps with the accumulated wear and tear...........bench players gaining more experience and hopefully more confidence is a secondary benefit but one that may pay dividends if the injury bug continues to strike.........of course, one wouldn't expect to see Ines and Amari in the last few games of the big tournament but what happens if Nika tweaks an ankle or Dorka hurts her finger or wrist again? UConn may need those bench players to fill in during those important games so the more experience they get the better......ultimately, we all want to see UConn back in the Final Four and getting there at the end of this season is going to involve skill, hard work and a good amount of luck...
Geno has used his method for 20- 30+ years. HE's broken the record for championships and Final Fours.

Every year his team is playing in the last week for the last 14. Where has been the "wear and tear" due to minutes vs why assume that giving the players those big minutes didn't help UCONN get as far as they had gotten?

Also, he keeps getting top recruits. If wear and tear was such a big deal, why do they continue ot come at lil "ol non-P5 Conference Storrs?

When you say ":what happens if . . ."

I say the same thing "what happens if" in a tight game the bench players you played are most responsible for losing the game?

I love Genos' coaching method. this is why UCONN is so successful. HE doesn't over-coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that the bottom line to all of this is: let's not have any more injuries to any UConn women players from now to all throught the tournament and thereafter.

Reaction Score
Keys are health & chemistry with the Top 7 players in March when it counts. As Geno said a few weeks ago (and I paraphrase a bit), we need health a lot of luck come March. A healthy, cohesive top 7 has a good shot at Final 4. I still dont like our chance against SC especially, and Stanford, but that's where the "luck" comes into play come Tourney time.

Reaction Score
Coach has for many years tried to hone a core group of players who aspire to achieve greater performance than the competition. Other players on the bench are helped to become really good at doing specific things. Some players broaden their skills faster than others. You earn playing time by showing in practice that you are ready.

CD was spreading the minutes out because even the starters were injured. I doubt she would adopt the same approach against a tougher team, particularly when we are behind.

That said, it is good to give bench players time on the court so they start getting game experience.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I felt the same way..........why not get them in early before the outcome is assured to stress test them and to rest the starters throughout the game? I wouldn't be doing it against South Carolina but against Georgetown......... I think so......
I don't think it is so much Geno vs CD with the rotations. Has more to do with the opponent. And how well they think the player will do against different levels of competition. (besides how practice has been)

Reaction Score
How do we know we won’t have to throw Inez, for example, into the fray during the playoffs? Injuries happen and at least Inez looks like she could be helpful. We may need Amati before we are through also. It is amazing what a little PT can do to help players develop.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand that Geno knows what he's doing and has done it to the success of 11 NC. But as some of the posters have pointed out, he doesn't give opportunity for his bench to grow and develop. Playing your starters for the entire game is fine, if you don't expect the unexpected , injuries or illnesses that throw a monkey wrench in your overall flawless strategy. Example: last year, how many blowout games did we have, but despite this, Amari DeBerry gets little or no playing time and then she's thrown into the national championship game against SC, raw and underdeveloped...
That is why I immensely prefer CD's early rotation strategy to Geno's.
tchalla1, we're drinking out of the same pitcher of Kool aide. I love CD's style of coaching and her willingness to use her players at the end of the bench. As I've said before with respect to Geno vs CD's coaching....................different style and game management philosophy (methods), same results.

NOTHING makes me happier than to see Amari or Ines enter the game in the first quarter. ;)Remember, I'm the pom-pom guy sitting on the front row of her cheering section with the bull horn.

There was a reason(s) Geno did not put them in the game. Sometimes we (fans) are not privy to those reasons. He won't mention why unless it's asked in a post-game presser. He did not forget about them, they were just not in the game plan for THAT game. They may have been nursing an minor injury, or perhaps he did not see enough of what he wanted to see from his core players.

I completely understand about possible fatigue and "tired legs" of player that are not given the proper rest. Some players can play 35+ minutes a game with no problem, some can't. I'm only speaking for myself, but I've never been a D1 college head coach for a major WCBB program, or won any championships, so I can't really criticize Geno's actions. I have no coaching experience experience that would allow me to do that.

I trust Geno and his ability to manage his players day to day and to make in-game decisions. Understand I'm not throwing rocks at the posters that have a different point of view. That's what this forum is for. The exchange of thoughts, concerns and ideas. I ALWAYS enjoy reading the thoughts and concerns of other UConn fans. I don't have to agree with them, but I really do enjoy them sharing their points of view.

Because of Geno's resume, and the fact that he has navigated his teams through 11 tournaments to win the national championship, when no other active coach has more than 3, I'm not as concerned about the team's current state of affairs as I would be with a coach with lesser experience. This is Geno's 38th year as a head coach. He's coached in this rodeo before. :cool: I perceive Geno to be an "Allstate" coach....................we're in good hands.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With a big crowd at the XL, the fans are going to want to see a UConn feast fest.
Azzi could probably use a workout, maybe Carol & Ayanna are on limited PT since it's their 1st game back from concussion protocol.
Are they back, or are you saying "if they are back they are on limited PT"? Would love it if they are back even for 1 or 2 minutes. That would mean they are getting better. And I disagree with whoever in this thread said Ines and Patterson won't play the last weekend. When we are up 30 over Stanford and SC in the middle of the third quarter, I think he will put them in to give the starters a rest.

sun

Reaction Score
Are they back, or are you saying "if they are back they are on limited PT"? Would love it if they are back even for 1 or 2 minutes. That would mean they are getting better. And I disagree with whoever in this thread said Ines and Patterson won't play the last weekend. When we are up 30 over Stanford and SC in the middle of the third quarter, I think he will put them in to give the starters a rest.
Yes I meant "if."
I'm only guessing and don't know they're severity level.
But because it has been awhile since getting injured, then I would be more surprised if they're not both suited up & available.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think it is so much Geno vs CD with the rotations. Has more to do with the opponent. And how well they think the player will do against different levels of competition. (besides how practice has been)
that's possible...............let's see how Geno uses his bench against a weak Georgetown team..........if he's ever going to play them that's the game to do it.........

Reaction Score
A couple of points.
1. For those who argue that giving bench players now will build their confidence, that works both ways. If you put them in against a good opponent in the first quarter and they struggle badly, that could have a very negative impact on their confidence going forward. They're not ready.
2. Also for those who argue about injuries in the Tourney, if we lose someone like Lou, Azzi or AE, it probably won't matter if bringing in a number 8 or 9 player off the bench has confidence or some experience or not. We're probably not going to win anyway or it won't change the outcome of the game.

I'm with Geno. You win the big games with your top 6 or 7 having chemistry and playing long minutes. You might as well build towards that in the regular season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom