pro tem pictorial quiz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

pro tem pictorial quiz

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Probably West Coasters and Southerners, too. ;)
Don't concern yourself. I've been in that area and never observed even some of what you have photographed so nicely. And I don't know much about it, either.

OTH - have visited (seen) all but a few of the Maine lighthouses, and I have a strong interest in select historical stuff. Before the summer's over, I'll do a pro tem quiz primarily relating to military history - Civil War, World Wars primarily.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
2) Their bones are solid. While that allows them to dive in water very effectively, it makes taking off very challenging. I worked in the Experimental Lakes Area in Canada (a little north of Lake Superior) for 3 summers, and once I saw a loon make three loops around a lake (after it became airborne) before it had enough elevation to clear the trees surrounding the small lake.

4) Dogwood.

5) Damselflies can fold their wings, but dragonflies cannot. Your picture is of a Calopterigid, so you were probably near a stream, as damselflies are not strong fliers like dragonflies, and the other families of damselflies are lake/marsh dwellers.

6) True.

7) Fatwood.

9) Lady slipper. I love spring ephemerals!

10) Lichen

11) The toxicity is due to alkaloids from its host plant, the milkweed. We have desert milkweeds out here in Arizona, and they are eaten by monarchs and milkweed bugs, which are bright red and black, warning coloration (aposematism) just like monarchs.

12) Pitcher plants. I think carnivorous bog plants are cool! They are capturing insects not for energy, but for nutrients! Pitcher plants are also found in rain forests, which are also very low in soil nutrients. Bog plants suffer low nutrient availability because their defining plant, sphagnum moss, releases hydrogen ions as part of its metabolism, preventing bacteria from thriving and breaking down organic matter to release the nitrogen and phosphorus bound there.

13) Red squirrels.

15) Shelf fungus.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Really like your photos!
  1. The tree kinda looks like birch but really can't tell. BTW, are you sure about the bumps being caused by scale or gall mites?
  2. Loons have small wings relative to their body size. Thus they must gain speed in order for sufficient air to flow under their wings for take off. Also Loons unlike most birds have solid bones, not unlike the geotropic penguin.
  3. Don't really know so two guesses. Poke berry certainly has very dark berries but I never heard of anyone concocting soda from the poke berry … salads yes (ask Annie!). I have heard of blackberry soda but only homemade which was called blackberry soda.
  4. The leaves and flower seem to closely resemble those of the dogwood tree.
  5. This is a damselfly since its wings are folded back against its body. The dragonfly at rest has its wings perpendicular to its body.
  6. True. Mrs. SVC and I would drive NW of Saint Louis to Lock & Dam 24 on the Mississippi River to view anywhere from 30 to 75 bald eagles. They wintered there for easy “pickens.” The fish would get stunned by the lock & dam operation and float on the water.
  7. Kindling
  8. Rocky Mountains
  9. The Pink Slipper Orchid! At least this is what it reminds me off.
  10. Lichen
  11. It eats milkweed which is poisonous. Our Penn State Master Gardener Program has been encouraging gardeners to plant milkweed which we provide to help the Monarch flutter-by. Of course it comes with a great deal of education since eating milkweed is a risky proposition without detailed knowledge which kids don't understand. So save the Monarchs or the kids?
  12. Some variety of the pitcher plant.
  13. The Little Boote squirrel!
  14. Eratics
  15. Shelf mushrooms

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I quite enjoyed this. It was really just a twist on posting pics, but y'all came through.

1) Sorry for the poor pic. The trees are beeches, and the insect is commonly called the beech scale. Kudos to SVC for causing me to question my clue and look it up. The scales enable the disease by perforating the bark; this enables a fungus to infest the trees between the bark and wood, causing the sores.

2) Choke and SVC

3) The little guys are a type of sasparilla. We're usually up there when the plants are be

4) NWHoops and Rocket lead a quartet

5) SVC identifies it, and FightinChoke even gives the fly a name and reminds me that we were about 200 feet from a stream (and a pond) when I snapped this one.

6) Rixx rings in along with three others correctly identifying our nesting pair as wedded for life.

7) Bantamlaker and Choke ring in with fatwood. I've also heard it called heart pine and lightwood. We were very excited when our pack of kindling had a couple of pieces of it, as it rained most of the time we were camping.

8) Believe it or not, Mount Desert broke away from the Atlas Mountains in northwest Africa many millions of years ago.

9) Bantam leads a trio in identifying the lady slipper. I'd never seen so many; we probably saw close to 100 plants.

10) Gamecock and three others

11) Rocket, Choke, and SVC with some good data on milkweed. We planted milkweed in our yard (our suburban neighbors don't hate us as far as we know, but they sure think we're weird) about ten years ago, and saw the first caterpillar last year. We were excited to see many pillars on some milkweed near my sister's house in Maine.

12) A quartet identifies the pitcher plant. I'd never seen blooms this size on them. A few years back, I gave my wife a subscription to a carnivorous-plant-of-the-month club. We didn't have much luck with pitcher plants, but she's had enough luck with flytraps that she's been able to sell some.

13) Rocket and Choke correctly identify the red squirrel; SVC with extra credit for humor.

14) SVC, NWH and Rocket show their steadiness by identifying the erratic.

15) A trio know their shelf mushrooms

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom