pro tem pictorial quiz | The Boneyard

pro tem pictorial quiz

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I spent a couple of weeks on the coast of Maine recently, including a week camping in Acadia National Park. I took a lot of pictures of the local flora and geography. I thought I'd post them in the form of a quiz since there hasn't been one in awhile. I think many of these are gimmes, but there might be a few stumpers.

Evidently I can only post one pic per image, but the questions are all listed in a separate message at the end.

1) These trees have swollen sore-like patches caused by scale insects:

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
3) This small plant, with five leaflets, will have a cluster of very dark berries. (You can see the blooms below the leaves.) The berries have been used to make soda. What are the plant and the soda called?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
7) When a pine tree dies some time before it falls, flammable saps drain to lower parts of the trunk, leading to wood that burns like this. Give one or two names for this type of wood, commonly used as a fire starter.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
8) The pink granite that makes up much of Mount Desert Island is also common in what mountain range? This recognition lent credence to the theory of plate tectonics.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
10) Old man’s beard (which I’d always thought was Spanish moss, but that doesn’t grow as far north as Mt Desert) is an epiphytic type of what life form that’s a combination of fungus and algae?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
11) This caterpillar will turn into a monarch butterfly, which is well-known among its predators to be toxic. But it’s not congenitally toxic. What causes the toxicity?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
14) Those couple of light-colored boulders were deposited by glaciers during an ice age. What’s the term for rocks that’s happened to?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here are the questions all in one message to make them easier to respond to:

1) These trees have swollen sore-like patches caused by scale insects

2) Loons must run on the water in order to get enough lift to fly. Why?

3) This small plant, with five leaflets, will have a cluster of very dark berries. (You can see the blooms below the leaves.) The berries have been used to make soda. What are the plant and the soda called?

4) This little plant is called bunchberry. It is closely related to what common decorative tree?

5) Name a key difference between damsel flies and dragon flies. Which one is this?

6) True or false: Bald eagles generally mate for life.

7) When a pine tree dies some time before it falls, flammable saps drain to lower parts of the trunk, leading to wood that burns like this. Give one or two names for this type of wood, commonly used as a fire starter. (I know of at least three names for it.)

8) The pink granite that makes up much of Mount Desert Island is also common in what mountain range? This recognition lent credence to the theory of plate tectonics.

9) This orchid is common to coastal regions on both sides of the Atlantic.

10) Old man’s beard (which I’d always thought was Spanish moss, but that doesn’t grow as far north as Mt Desert) is an epiphytic type of what life form that’s a combination of fungus and algae?

11) This caterpillar will turn into a monarch butterfly, which is well-known among its predators to be toxic. But it’s not congenitally toxic. What causes the toxicity?

12) These are the blooms of what carnivorous plant that lures its prey down into a pool of digestive juices?

13) Gray squirrels tend to live in deciduous forests, while these squirrels tend to live in coniferous forests.

14) Those couple of light-colored boulders were deposited by glaciers. What’s the term for rocks that’s happened to?

15) These sorts of fungi that grow out usually parallel to the ground are named for something you might set a book on.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, I failed this quiz.

#4 dogwood
#14 glacial erratic

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
1) Birch
4) Dogwood
5) Damsel fly - they fold their wings. A dragon fly's wings are always at 90 deg to it's body.
6) True
10) Lichen
11) From feeding on milkweed
12) Pitcher plants
13) Red Squirrels
14) Erratics
15) Shelf Mushrooms

Reaction Score
Just to show moral support for the quizzes (this will be embarrassing)

1. Birch?
2. My guess is that they run awkwardly on land for some reason...do they have big flipper feet?
10. Lichen?
12. Looks kind of like a pitcher plant.

Reaction Score
7. Fatwood
9. Lady Slipper - love to come across these on walks in CT woods, usually late May - early June

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
2. My guess is that they run awkwardly on land for some reason...do they have big flipper feet?

I should clarify: They need to run in order to take off. I've only seen them take off from the water.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom