Prisoner Whom Maya Defended Is Freed For Good | The Boneyard

Prisoner Whom Maya Defended Is Freed For Good

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just saw this article on the New York Times portal. It appears to have just been posted.

All appeals have been exhausted for the judge's decision last month to order a new trial for Jonathan Irons, whom Maya had defended as being the victim of a wrongful conviction. The local prosecutor has declined to retry the case, so the 20-year drama is over, and Irons is a free man.

Kudos to Maya for pursuing this so doggedly.

Reaction Score
Jonathan Irons, Helped by W.N.B.A. Star Maya Moore, Freed From Prison
The W.N.B.A. star took time away from basketball to help Irons overturn his conviction.

Jonathan Irons, whose bid for freedom from a 50-year prison sentence was embraced and pushed by the W.N.B.A. star Maya Moore, walked out of a Missouri penitentiary on Wednesday, nearly four months after a judge overturned his conviction.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So, back to the Lynx? ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow awesome stuff. Talk about a grade A human being. Pretty mind blowing how much she has accomplished already at just 31. I hope ESPN does a 30 for 30 on her or some sort of special feature in relation to this. Side note but I would love to see her go into politics one day.

Reaction Score
In today's world it's almost beyond belief to see someone of Maya's stature and accomplishments be so selfless. Think of the platitudes and buzzwords we hear from so many of the stars of the various leagues.
They sacrifice nothing and the media falls all over them if they donate $10,000 to some cause or a few hours of their time to play in a golf tournament.
She's the real deal.

Reaction Score
There is something wrong with a system that dictates a fifty year sentence for burglary and allows a drunk driver to catch a suspended sentence when he or she has taken a life or a child predator who is "ordered" to seek therapy while sentenced to "house arrest". Thank you, Maya, for correcting an injustice.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They showed him being released on her Instagram live. Very emotional
Tough not to moved by that. I've expressed my admiration for Maya and her family before. That still stands. What an amazing effort on their part.

For me, watching that video brought up a lot of conflicting emotions. I am, obviously, happy for Irons but at the same time deeply saddened by all the time he lost and can never get back. Still today is a day to celebrate.

I wonder where Maya turns her efforts next? I am guessing that she probably will not go back to playing, though I selfishly would love to see her and Pheesa playing together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom