OT: - Princeton vs Villanova: Who Do UConn Fans Root For? | The Boneyard

OT: Princeton vs Villanova: Who Do UConn Fans Root For?

Reaction Score
Next Wednesday, Princeton and Villanova square off to tip of their respective seasons. I'm a little torn about this one as far as who to root for.

Princeton: Coached by Uconn alum and possible future coaching candidate (?) for Uconn Carla Berube. Always root for her teams to succeed for those reasons.

Villanova: Ranked 5 in Big East pre-season poll and potential national tournament team. A loss to an Ivy school (even if its a good one) is not a good look for UConn's conference and schedule strength.

So with that said, do we root for Carla out of loyalty or Villanova to protect the reputation of the conference and our schedule strength?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
so I just did a check of the VU Wildcat schedule and kudo's to Denise Dillon as she has a pretty good OOC for her second year, Besides the Big 5 of Philly, she has Maryland, Oregon State and James Madison. If she can garner a couple of those wins, that will help her cause.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Villanova. Not close for me. Princeton can get their wins elsewhere but the BE needs to be as strong a conference as possible...
That was my initial reaction as well, but I have to say I think I’m going to say we root for Berube.

#alwaysahusky

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
so I just did a check of the VU Wildcat schedule and kudo's to Denise Dillon as she has a pretty good OOC for her second year, Besides the Big 5 of Philly, she has Maryland, Oregon State and James Madison. If she can garner a couple of those wins, that will help her cause.
Huge opportunity for them when they get Oregon State at home. Winning at Maryland will be a very tall order.

James Madison is a team they should beat if they want to be an NCAA at-large team. JMU was 9-6 in the Colonial last year, not nearly as good as in years prior.

Reaction Score
Next Wednesday, Princeton and Villanova square off to tip of their respective seasons. I'm a little torn about this one as far as who to root for.

Princeton: Coached by Uconn alum and possible future coaching candidate (?) for Uconn Carla Berube. Always root for her teams to succeed for those reasons.

Villanova: Ranked 5 in Big East pre-season poll and potential national tournament team. A loss to an Ivy school (even if its a good one) is not a good look for UConn's conference and schedule strength.

So with that said, do we root for Carla out of loyalty or Villanova to protect the reputation of the conference and our schedule strength?
I don't think the reputation of the conference or SOS will mount to hill a of beans when it comes time to seed the teams for the tournament. Villanova winning or losing vs. Princeton will not have any bearing on a NC. UConn will either beat any of the top teams or they won't regardless.

I'd root for the former UConn player.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That was my initial reaction as well, but I have to say I think I’m going to say we root for Berube.

#alwaysahusky
Agreed. The thing is for me, I don't think the strength of the Big East will have an effect on UConn's seeding at all. As long as UConn's teams are strong and their OOC is strong UConn will still get a top 4 seed, and that's for the next umpteen years. But that's thinking short term. Berube, Shea, and Marissa, they're the future. Geno isn't going to be the coach of UConn forever and when the time comes this team will need a coach to step right in and continue the UConn way. So go Carla!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What happened to Villanova? Boxscore is ugly...
Princeton's defense is what happened to them. Two years ago Princeton was the #1 team scoring defense (47 ppg) by a wide margin. Berube can coach. I watched this game and I don't think Villanova isn't a bad team at all. Princeton was just better.

I believe Princeton has the longest win streak in the country. Tonight's result makes 23 straight wins, spanning their canceled 20-21 season and dating back to an overtime loss at Iowa in November 2019.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I hope Geno didn't give Carla the same invitation that he gave Shea. Princeton could be a problem for us.

Reaction Score
I played twice against both Princeton and Villanova. Carla is the tiebreaker. Go Tigers!

Reaction Score
Princeton's offense: What I call dribble drive- kick. Reminded me of last year's Arkansas game. Dungee and Slocum driving and kicking.
So hard to stop.
I wish Geno had it in his hip pocket for emergencies, when the passing game stalls. (Az) We have people that could break down the defenses.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I also want to give Kudos to Carla for being the 1st coach I have seen to go back to the pre-covid dress code for coaches-print top, slacks and heels. I am a little tired of EVERT coach wearing a school pullover, sweat pants and sneakers. I watched Ole Miss-Belmont last night and ye gads, that Ole Miss black/camo sweatshirt with the pockets in the front was gawd awful...You don't have to wear heels or shoes but please for the love of Pete, wear something that shows taste....

Reaction Score
I also want to give Kudos to Carla for being the 1st coach I have seen to go back to the pre-covid dress code for coaches-print top, slacks and heels. I am a little tired of EVERT coach wearing a school pullover, sweat pants and sneakers. I watched Ole Miss-Belmont last night and ye gads, that Ole Miss black/camo sweatshirt with the pockets in the front was gawd awful...You don't have to wear heels or shoes but please for the love of Pete, wear something that shows taste....
Major league managers have to wear the team uniforms.
What if WCCB coaches had to do the same. Extra credit for retro wear. Kim in floppy socks and Chuck Taylors.

Reaction Score
I think some of it might be that a lot of these coaches put on "COVID pounds" that they never lost and would rather change the dress code than buy a new wardrobe. I remember Geno used to be one of the best dressed coaches in the game but doesn't look like he can fit into any of the suits he used to wear these days (sorry Geno) so he resorts to the "pullover look" instead. I remember going back to work after lockdown having to stretch the dress code for a while until I could fit into my business casuals again. I wasn't about to get a whole new wardrobe myself so thankfully I've been able to lose juuuust enough pounds (as Bob Euecker would say) to fit into them again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom