OT: - Princeton vs Villanova: Who Do UConn Fans Root For? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Princeton vs Villanova: Who Do UConn Fans Root For?

Reaction Score
Princeton's offense: What I call dribble drive- kick. Reminded me of last year's Arkansas game. Dungee and Slocum driving and kicking.
So hard to stop.
I wish Geno had it in his hip pocket for emergencies, when the passing game stalls. (Az) We have people that could break down the defenses.
UConn may be the only top team not to do lots dribble drive-kick. Been driving me crazy. Don't get it.

Reaction Score
I guess i'm the only person that doesn't know what a "dribble drive kick" is - could someone please explain the term for me?

Reaction Score
I guess i'm the only person that doesn't know what a "dribble drive kick" is - could someone please explain the term for me?
No worries because apparently Geno doesn't know what it is either :).

It's basically someone drives to the basket and lures two defenders, which frees someone up on offense. The ball is then kicked to the free offensive player for an open jumper.

Examples:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You get the same effect by passing the ball into the post and then, if the post is doubled, kicking the ball out to the open shooter. Or by throwing the ball to the high post, who looks to find a cutter to the hoop, and if the cutter draws a defensive rotation, the high post player can kick it to the open shooter. Or the high post player can hand off the ball to a shooter who can take advantage of a ready-made screen.

All of these alternatives are speedier than putting the ball on the floor. So UConn guards typically don't drive to the basket unless they can see an open path to get all the way there. Otherwise, one of the above alternatives is preferred.

Having seen small guards like Ketia Swanier and Lorin Dixon drive into the paint, get surrounded by trees, and then say to themselves, "OK, now what do I do?", I think Geno decided that the alternatives are better. If nothing else, they put the passing decision in the hands of a post player who should have a better field of vision to see open shooters.

Reaction Score
You get the same effect by passing the ball into the post and then, if the post is doubled, kicking the ball out to the open shooter. Or by throwing the ball to the high post, who looks to find a cutter to the hoop, and if the cutter draws a defensive rotation, the high post player can kick it to the open shooter. Or the high post player can hand off the ball to a shooter who can take advantage of a ready-made screen.

All of these alternatives are speedier than putting the ball on the floor. So UConn guards typically don't drive to the basket unless they can see an open path to get all the way there. Otherwise, one of the above alternatives is preferred.

Having seen small guards like Ketia Swanier and Lorin Dixon drive into the paint, get surrounded by trees, and then say to themselves, "OK, now what do I do?", I think Geno decided that the alternatives are better. If nothing else, they put the passing decision in the hands of a post player who should have a better field of vision to see open shooters.
Super counter points!
As a player and a coach of players, I would argue vehemently, that the hardest thing to do on the basketball floor defensively is to guard a skilled, athletic ball-handler. Not covering a cutter. Not pressuring a high post player.
The only way IMO that you can be correct is if your team is skilled, precise, disciplined in SCREENING and players know how to use screens.
That's a 400-level course. Dribble drive-kick is entry-level 101. Go to any top-notch playground in America (or world now- watch 3 minutes of a Maverick game with Luka) and watch the players dribble drive. You can't come to UConn and not be able to bust somebody off the dribble. Did you see the clips of Azzi? If she ends up nothing but a spot-up shooter, I'm going to be disappointed. She can break ankles.

Reaction Score
Princeton's defense is what happened to them. Two years ago Princeton was the #1 team scoring defense (47 ppg) by a wide margin. Berube can coach. I watched this game and I don't think Villanova isn't a bad team at all. Princeton was just better.

I believe Princeton has the longest win streak in the country. Tonight's result makes 23 straight wins, spanning their canceled 20-21 season and dating back to an overtime loss at Iowa in November 2019.
Geno should have Berube in as a guest lecturer on team defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom