Price can't handle the heat from Eck | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Price can't handle the heat from Eck

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nope I respect most Sox stars, may not like them but respect them. My opinion is objective with Papi and Schilling but the bias may lie in your view of them no?

Sure, As I said above, Sox fans can be just as biased as Yankee fans. Hence the rivalry. Especially fans from that era. Right now, I just have a latent dislike for the Yankees, and enjoy seeing them lose. But I can't name a single player who I dislike and root against. Most seem like good dudes. More so than the Sox right now. Though I think it's only a couple of guys causing issues. Sox ownership is the biggest one though. And that's an off the field, culture thing. Too many distasteful moves for my money. I never ever would have even considered this 10 year ago or prior, but right now, the Steinbrenner ownership group is a classier group of people.

As for Schilling, no denying his toughness on the mound. Lot's of respect for him there. Provided many great moments for multiple organizations in his day. But I don't know a single Sox fan who doesn't think Schilling is a complete blowhard and should shut the hell up. That said, I'd rather have guys with personalities (whether crap or not) like him in baseball than stuffed suits. Makes it more interesting. Even when it's the opposing team. If I was a Yankee fan, I would ENJOY hating Ortiz. Same way I do with Syracuse. I need to bathe in my enemies tears when I can.

I like Pedro and while he threw at my guys he was a great great pitcher and overall a good guy. Heck I laugh at the Zimmer classic headlock.

This is one of the all time great baseball moments. It was really hilarious. I mean, what the hell Pedro.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Never said we didn't, sure we had quite a few. Jim Leyritz had a forehand like MT Rushmore after he came up to the bigs suddenly LOL, and Chad Curtis had a year like never before. Everyone had them, but if you really remember it was the Sox fans asking to take the championships away with Leyritz, Andy and Rocket etc etc, little did they know 2004 doesn't happen without the needle either. It is baseball and it looks like for good now they can't seem to stay ahead with the testing. But no matter it would be fun to have the Yanks-Sox battling to the end of September for the East again, no one would care who's doing what would they?

Anyone who asked to take away championships is an idiot. If a Sox fan wants to take away Yankees championships, then yes, he should give up his too. And probably every teams! There are plenty of idiot fans on both sides of the rivalry. The idiot Sox fans seem to be the loudest. Thank you Boston Talk Radio for that.

And as I alluded to, I don't have a problem with a single guy from that era who did Steroids. I mean, it was accepted practice. I don't hold it against Arod. Lot's of stars did it. And make no mistake, way more guys did it than were caught.

I personally enjoyed all of it. I mean, the most fun baseball's been for me, outside of 2004, was the home run wars of the late 90s. Was electric. You knew something was going on, but who cares? It was awesome to watch!

And nobody seems to be complaining about the current 'juiced ball' era right now, do they? No disrespecting the history of the game, throwing off the comparative nature of the game, etc. It's hypocritical.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean, you guys don't even like Pedro. It works the same for Sox fans in the opposite direction as well mind you. .

Maybe because he threw at and hit Yankees constantly while headhunting sometimes. He sent two Yankees to hospital in the same game once.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I always find it laughable that guys get fired up about the steroid era. I mean, it's hypocritical to point to someone else's team and say 'cheaters'. Truth is, probably half your team (whoever that is) was juiced up as well. Just the nature of that era. I mean, Yankees fans love to bark about Ortiz or Manny, but they had more guys implicated in known steroid issues than any other team. They had guys injecting themselves in the toilets, or others come specifically to the clubhouse to inject dudes. But who really cares? It doesn't matter in the end. The results were what they were. And really, because baseball turned a blind eye, the playing field was actually even in a way.
I'm for whatever makes the game more enjoyable. If it wasn't for the adverse health effects I'd be 100% on board with all my athletes juiced up. Also can't stand the anti DH crowd, It's been around for like 40 years, jesus.

Reaction Score
Maybe because he threw at and hit Yankees constantly while headhunting sometimes. He sent two Yankees to hospital in the same game once.
I don't see what's not to like in this scenario.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
FYI - Price is back on the DL with imflamation in his elbow. 10 days for right now.

Reaction Score
Is there any proof other players outside of Boston didn't like Ortiz? I have to think that would be a hard find and isn't true. Ortiz had his moments but league wide was respected as being the ambassador for not only the latin players but also the city of Boston. The team being a complete drama show at the moment is a direct result of management not having a plan to replace his leadership in the clubhouse.
As for ARod I think he was known as a me first guy but in reality I think most teammates would agree he was a good guy, Texiera on PMT recently said he used to buy the call ups new suits and equipment knowing they had basically nothing from years in the minors. Also maybe I'm in the minority but i don't care at all about the PED's seeing how the league turned a blind eye for years and most of the guys caught or suspected using are a result of them trying to keep up.
Ortiz wasn't a me first guy?? Remember him storming in in the middle of a post game presser crying "I want my RBI...because a hit was scored an error, obviously no RBI...so of course they changed the ruling. Plus the sox won the game...it was all about him. He threatened to finish his career in another city if he didn't get what he wanted. I hear fans talk about how loyal he was...ha! Loyal to his paycheck only. Sure..."it's my f#%*ing city" unless I don't get what I want then another city will be my f#%^ing city! Phony!

Reaction Score
He's actually talked about that game recently. Clemens almost hit Millar up near the head the game before. The ball ended hitting Millar in the shoulder or hand and after the game Clemens made a comment of Millar getting out of the way next time. Turns out that game the opposing pitcher was Wakefield, so obviously there is no retaliation coming that game. So Pedro went over to Millar or Wake, can't remember which and told him that he was going to hit two Yankees next game.

So the next game comes and he drills Soriano and Jeter to lead off the game, boom boom.

Figured the Clemens part of the story is somewhat relevant.

Oh, and god dam do I love Pedro.

Reaction Score
Ortiz wasn't a me first guy?? Remember him storming in in the middle of a post game presser crying "I want my RBI...because a hit was scored an error, obviously no RBI...so of course they changed the ruling. Plus the sox won the game...it was all about him. He threatened to finish his career in another city if he didn't get what he wanted. I hear fans talk about how loyal he was...ha! Loyal to his paycheck only. Sure..."it's my f#%*ing city" unless I don't get what I want then another city will be my f#%^ing city! Phony!
What are you even talking about? He was the leader on 3 World Series titles I don't give a damn about any of the stuff you're whining about. Get in the bathroom you clown.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ortiz wasn't a me first guy?? Remember him storming in in the middle of a post game presser crying "I want my RBI...because a hit was scored an error, obviously no RBI...so of course they changed the ruling. Plus the sox won the game...it was all about him.

How exactly does that make him a me first guy? They won the game. It's not like he slacked off. He's not costing the team anything. So he whined in a press conference. Do you think any of his teammates gave a rats ass about it? They probably thought it was funny. This is more a fan's take on something rather than a teammates. Look, I thought that was a bad look on his part. But it's part of the passion. You take the good with the bad. I also found it kind of amusing.

He threatened to finish his career in another city if he didn't get what he wanted. I hear fans talk about how loyal he was...ha! Loyal to his paycheck only. Sure..."it's my f#%*ing city" unless I don't get what I want then another city will be my f#%^ing city! Phony!

A guy fighting for contract money is about 'me first'? That would make the vast majority of players in all sports 'me first people. It's called negotiating. Smart move. The Sox tried to play hardball with an icon. It's like offering Jeter 8m per. Which would be Stop. So what if the guy is outspoken?

This is like saying Calhoun is a me first guy for hinting he'd coach at SC or the 'not a dime' back speech.

If these are the best examples you can come up with, then it's a laughable concept. Find me quotes of guys saying Ortiz is a me first player. As I said above, he was universally loved, respected as a teammate and a leader. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't jibe with the real world.

Reaction Score
How exactly does that make him a me first guy? They won the game. It's not like he slacked off. He's not costing the team anything. So he whined in a press conference. Do you think any of his teammates gave a rats ass about it? They probably thought it was funny. This is more a fan's take on something rather than a teammates. Look, I thought that was a bad look on his part. But it's part of the passion. You take the good with the bad. I also found it kind of amusing.

A guy fighting for contract money is about 'me first'? That would make the vast majority of players in all sports 'me first people. It's called negotiating. Smart move. The Sox tried to play hardball with an icon. It's like offering Jeter 8m per. Which would be Stop. So what if the guy is outspoken?

This is like saying Calhoun is a me first guy for hinting he'd coach at SC or the 'not a dime' back speech.

If these are the best examples you can come up with, then it's a laughable concept. Find me quotes of guys saying Ortiz is a me first player. As I said above, he was universally loved, respected as a teammate and a leader. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't jibe with the real world.

Passion? Now that's funny.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Passion? Now that's funny.

Why? One of the more invested athletes I've seen on the Sox. Guy cares. It is true that average American might not be into the overly emotional personalities of the Latin players. A number of those guys get stick for that. See all the bat flip complainers.

Reaction Score
Why? One of the more invested athletes I've seen on the Sox. Guy cares. It is true that average American might not be into the overly emotional personalities of the Latin players. A number of those guys get stick for that. See all the bat flip complainers.

The guy whined to official scorers throughout his career about what was a hit and an error. he was invested mostly in himself but I'm sure a great teammate nonetheless. Don't make him onto anyone different than ARod please he's not except in Boston. All about him, team is a close 2nd. Many athletes are like that now not saying it's just him. For instance he's a distant 2nd on the Sox list from the Schill.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The guy whined to official scorers throughout his career about what was a hit and an error. he was invested mostly in himself but I'm sure a great teammate nonetheless.

Those are two ideas are nearly mutually exclusive. And let's face it, baseball's a sport where you have to be invested in yourself in some fashion. It's just you against a pitcher. It's just you against a hitter. It's not like he was asked to bunt and decided to swing for the fences.

[quote}Don't make him onto anyone different than ARod please he's not except in Boston. All about him, team is a close 2nd. Many athletes are like that now not saying it's just him. [/quote]

Not being snarky, but where is your proof for this? Because everything I've read says the exact opposite. I haven't seen or heard squat otherwise. Outside of him being damn near universally loved. He had the odd tiff with guys, some who then became his teammates and friends, but that is normal.

Even chose the number '34' to honor Kirby Puckett for what he did for him as a young player. That kind of gratitude is the antithesis of a 'me first' player.

The Arod comparison is laughable though. Couldn't be anything more opposite. Hell, Arod himself says david Ortiz is loved by everyone: A-Rod on David Ortiz: ‘He is loved by everyone’ Nobody ever says that about Arod.

There's article, after article, after article with direct quotes from teammates and players around the league with effusive praise. It's pretty much just Yankees, Orioles and maybe Tampa fans on the other side of the ledger.

For instance he's a distant 2nd on the Sox list from the Schill.

Ortiz has his number retired. Schilling does not. Schilling is vilified for costing the taxpayers millions through a stupid business venture and being an all around nutjob. Ortiz is a pillar in the community.

Reaction Score
Those are two ideas are nearly mutually exclusive. And let's face it, baseball's a sport where you have to be invested in yourself in some fashion. It's just you against a pitcher. It's just you against a hitter. It's not like he was asked to bunt and decided to swing for the fences.

[quote}Don't make him onto anyone different than ARod please he's not except in Boston. All about him, team is a close 2nd. Many athletes are like that now not saying it's just him.

Not being snarky, but where is your proof for this? Because everything I've read says the exact opposite. I haven't seen or heard squat otherwise. Outside of him being damn near universally loved. He had the odd tiff with guys, some who then became his teammates and friends, but that is normal.

Even chose the number '34' to honor Kirby Puckett for what he did for him as a young player. That kind of gratitude is the antithesis of a 'me first' player.

The Arod comparison is laughable though. Couldn't be anything more opposite. Hell, Arod himself says david Ortiz is loved by everyone: A-Rod on David Ortiz: ‘He is loved by everyone’ Nobody ever says that about Arod.

There's article, after article, after article with direct quotes from teammates and players around the league with effusive praise. It's pretty much just Yankees, Orioles and maybe Tampa fans on the other side of the ledger.

Ortiz has his number retired. Schilling does not. Schilling is vilified for costing the taxpayers millions through a stupid business venture and being an all around nutjob. Ortiz is a pillar in the community.[/QUOTE]

Wow he has you too. Universally loved? Show me the facts on that I highly doubt it lol. And the ARod comparison is much much close than you would think. Besides the way you people adore him and made others believe, he's the same guy - a cheater who really care's about #1 - is he living in Boston now during the season? He should be after al he proclaimed it to be his town, he should never leave :rolleyes:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow he has you too. Universally loved? Show me the facts on that I highly doubt it lol.

He has EVERYBODY. Except Yankee fans. I can't post the positive quotes because they are endless. This is pretty indicative of what you'll find with a 5 second google search:

Maikel Franco had not yet made his major league debut in 2014 when he traveled to Fort Myers, Florida, to play in a spring training game. As he recalls, he was taking a few swings in the batting cage, minding his own business, when a familiar, booming voice called out his name. David Ortiz wanted to chat.

"I was just like, 'Oh my god, this is so weird. He knows me already?'" said Franco, the Philadelphia Phillies' third baseman. "I never even met him, but the first time that I go play Boston, he gives me a big hug, everything. He just told me to work hard and get better every single day. He told me, 'Keep doing what you're doing. I know what you've got. I know you can be able to play here in the big leagues.'"

Franco, 24, laughs at the retelling because he knows his story isn't unique. Dozens, if not hundreds, of players in clubhouses across the majors can tell tales of their brush with Big Papi, that moment when Ortiz offered unsolicited advice, feedback and support to help them advance their careers
Counselling guys on other teams:
"He legitimately cares about these guys," Seattle Mariners third-base coach Manny Acta says. "He didn't do it because of the club the guys were playing for. He was doing it because he cares about these kids. He wants to see them stay up here and compete, like he did."

When Acta was managing the Cleveland Indians, Ortiz would call him and ask if it was OK for him to offer a few words of advice to Carlos Santana, then a young catcher in the early stages of his career.

"He'd say, 'I'm going to talk to this kid and try to help him out,'" Acta recalls. "What am I going to say? No? Who wouldn't want to have David talk to their players."

Yup, sounds like a me-first guy right there. lol

Non Latin guys on Ortiz if that's the half baked excuse you're going with:
MLB players react to David Ortiz's final game | FOX Sports

He even helps out guys on the Yankees:
“For me, he’s like a big brother,” Cano said on NESN’s “Red Sox Gameday Live” before Wednesday’s game. “… It’s going to be sad seeing him go, but we have to respect his decision.What a great career. That’s a career every player would love to have.”

And it isn't only hitters. When hard-throwing New York Yankees right-hander Dellin Betances was a rookie in 2014, Ortiz spotted a flaw while watching him pitch. Ortiz asked a mutual friend for Betances' phone number, called him up and pointed out the problem.

Can you imagine players saying these things about Arod? haha

And the ARod comparison is much much close than you would think.

I posted this above, but reconcile these statements:

Arod's well respected former manager on Arod:
Alex monopolized all the attention. We never really had anybody who craved the attention. I think when Alex came over he certainly changed just the feel of the club,” Torre said in the book. Torre also wrote that when Rodriguez was at the plate in an important situation he was worried about “how it looks” rather than “concern himself with getting the job done.”
Here's Papi's well respected former manager on Papi:
Francona said. "He's certainly the face of the Red Sox, or one of them, and probably the same goes for the face of baseball. He's got that big smile that when you walk in the room, or when somebody walks in the room, he can disarm you just like that. I don't care who you are. He's a big teddy bear.

"Early on when I got there, I realized real quick you could go to him if you got something you needed to get done, which is important, real important. And we had a lot of guys like that. David transcends languages, colors, things like that. If you were in his uniform, that was what mattered."

Are you calling Torre, Francona and all those other players disingenuous or liars? And if, in your mind, those are the same things then haha

How Arod talks about his teammates:

Arod on (now) former friend and Yankees Legend Derek Jeter
:
"Jeter's been blessed with great talent around him," Rodriguez said. "He's never had to lead. You go into New York, you wanna stop Bernie (Williams) and (Paul) O'Neill. You never say, 'Don't let Derek beat you.' He's never your concern."

Heck, and Pedro himself lobbied the hell out of the Red Sox to sign Ortiz:
I pulled out my little flip phone right there and started calling everybody I could think of back in Boston. But nobody picked up, because they were all in the MLB Winter Meetings. Finally I got to the traveling secretary, Jack McCormick, and I said, "Hey, can you get a hold of Lucchino or Theo or somebody?"

Jack said, "Huh? What's going on?"

"Listen, I'm in the Dominican and I ran into David Ortiz. He just got released by Minnesota. We need to sign him."

"The first baseman? Well, you know, we got Brian Daubach ..."

"Look, I'm telling you. This guy is going to be special. Get Theo on the phone."

"Alright, I'll tell them."

Besides the way you people adore him and made others believe, he's the same guy - a cheater who really care's about #1

Again, I'm waiting for you to provide me ANYTHING, but a Yankee fan's jaded opinion. Which you are entitled to. But it certainly doesn't make it fact.

I know I'll never convince you, but I'm satisfied in the knowledge I have all the facts on my side in this particular argument.

is he living in Boston now during the season? He should be after al he proclaimed it to be his town, he should never leave
Is that the best you can do? you mean he shouldn't live in his native country? That's laughable. Again, how about we listen to people who actually KNOW:

Seattle Mariners third-base coach Manny Acta, who managed Ortiz on the Dominican team in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. "It would've been very easy for him to grab his money and just move here [to the USA] and never go home. But David has touched so many lives in every class down there, whether you're poor, middle class or rich. That's why people love him to death."

"When David talks, everybody listens, especially in the Dominican," Mariners slugger Nelson Cruz says. "We saw him as an idol. We saw him growing up playing baseball and being a hero when everybody was expecting it. He's a role model for all the Dominican players."

The people in the Dominican respect the hell out of him returning, living in a third world country, and giving so much back to the community.

I mean, among the baseball community, he's thought of as one of the BEST people in the game.

:rolleyes: indeed

Reaction Score
Wow that's all you can come up with that doesn't make it universal.... Acta, Franco hmmmm..... and so you know ARod was well known for being excellent with the young guys so that must make him universally loved LOL

All good you win but let's discuss the reality when you get his first base bag out of your face.

Everyone loves Papi lol
Back to UConn hoops where we can agree on occasion. Good?

Reaction Score
Eck hardly criticized him, imagine if Arod reacted the way Price does to the media.
Eck got on Price for not covering First but it wasn't as hard as it could have been. Eck did mock the way he pitches especially the amount of time he takes between pitches. I never understood why pitchers feel it is in their interest to take forever between pitches. The defense ends up getting their weight on both feet with the result of losing a least a step. Pitchers aren't smart enough to think too much. Sale has it right.

Reaction Score
Eck got on Price for not covering First but it wasn't as hard as it could have been. Eck did mock the way he pitches especially the amount of time he takes between pitches. I never understood why pitchers feel it is in their interest to take forever between pitches. The defense ends up getting their weight on both feet with the result of losing a least a step. Pitchers aren't smart enough to think too much. Sale has it right.

Love Sale for that - catch it and check the sign and throw it. Man that's baseball! Yanks have a couple young lefties in Montgomery and Smith and when things aren't going right they slow down even more and it's really painful to watch and having played the game, the defense has to be ready to shove needles in their eyes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yankees fans can't speak objectively about Ortiz. They will always hate him because of how foolish he made them look in '04, and how he led their rivals to more titles than they ever thought they would witness in their lives. Yankees fans, especially those of a certain age, took it for granted that they would never have to worry about the Red Sox actually contending for titles. Ortiz shattered that illusion and forced them to take the Sox seriously for the first time in their lives, and they will never forgive him for it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Love Sale for that - catch it and check the sign and throw it. Man that's baseball! Yanks have a couple young lefties in Montgomery and Smith and when things aren't going right they slow down even more and it's really painful to watch and having played the game, the defense has to be ready to shove needles in their eyes.

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but I just saw an interview where he said he has never shook off a catcher once. If true, that's unreal. Talk about trusting your stuff. Most guys won't throw the curve (or whatever) if they don't have it that day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom