Pressure to Commit Too Early | The Boneyard

Pressure to Commit Too Early

Reaction Score
I saw in the recruiting thread that Alexia Mobley -class of 2022- verballed to Louisville. Class of 2022 is just starting 10th grade. I’ve been considering a lot lately how much pressure there is on elite players to commit too early. Most kids in the top 10 or so their class will want to go to established programs. They need to find a good fit academically and culturally. Most of those kids want opportunities to play with in the first year or two. This might restrict their choices because they know who is already at a school they might otherwise want to attend. Their choices will be for the limited by available scholarships at each school. Finally, they are ‘competing against’ other recruits in their grade for available spots. And, not every school they want to attend will actually want them.

So, BYers, do you think the pressure to commit early is contributing to the number of transfers from top programs?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I saw in the recruiting thread that Alexia Mobley -class of 2022- verballed to Louisville. Class of 2022 is just starting 10th grade. I’ve been considering a lot lately how much pressure there is on elite players to commit too early. Most kids in the top 10 or so their class will want to go to established programs. They need to find a good fit academically and culturally. Most of those kids want opportunities to play with in the first year or two. This might restrict their choices because they know who is already at a school they might otherwise want to attend. Their choices will be for the limited by available scholarships at each school. Finally, they are ‘competing against’ other recruits in their grade for available spots. And, not every school they want to attend will actually want them. So, BYers, do you think the pressure to commit early is contributing to the number of transfers from top programs?
I believe that the number of early commitments is actually slowing down as was pointed out by @TerpWomenFan in a recent post. I was really surprised by Mobley's commitment when you consider that the last player to commit to Louisville that early was asked to take a healthy redshirt this season. I do believe early commitments leads to more transfers. I'm not sure I would agree that these kids are being pressured to commit early though. Sophomore commitments are not binding to either party and every year of HS is transformative for potential WCBB players. A player might be ahead of the pack as a sophomore but by Junior year the pack has a tendency to catch up.

Reaction Score
My son plays travel baseball. There has been a lot more early commits (class of 2023) in that sport. In baseball the various national showcase leagues like to advertise they have commits from big time schools at their events. However there is a fair amount of attrition by the time players are seniors as many players committing that early have hit puberty ahead of their classmates.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
keep in mind a verbal is non-binding. .... most recruits think it is going to be an easy transition to college and that they will play immediately,... so an early verbal probably is a minimal factor for transfers
AEH committed to UConn very early. She did not last a year.

Reaction Score
I saw in the recruiting thread that Alexia Mobley -class of 2022- verballed to Louisville. Class of 2022 is just starting 10th grade. I’ve been considering a lot lately how much pressure there is on elite players to commit too early. Most kids in the top 10 or so their class will want to go to established programs. They need to find a good fit academically and culturally. Most of those kids want opportunities to play with in the first year or two. This might restrict their choices because they know who is already at a school they might otherwise want to attend. Their choices will be for the limited by available scholarships at each school. Finally, they are ‘competing against’ other recruits in their grade for available spots. And, not every school they want to attend will actually want them.

So, BYers, do you think the pressure to commit early is contributing to the number of transfers from top programs?

For the most part, I do not think that top recruits have much pressure to commit early. If they are truly top players, there will always be room for them and most teams do not use anything close to all their scholarships. Some players do have dream schools and lock in there early only to regret it later. A lot of top prospects also want to get done with the recruiting process as soon as possible. As a former contributor to the mail system, I have some understanding of just how much communication they receive, resulting in tons of relationships to maintain along with high school, basketball, and sometimes even social life. Committing basically immediately removes all of that and makes it one set of relationships to manage.

I do know that there is a lot of pressure on players below that top level. Different programs have vastly different evaluations of non-elite players so one day a player could be attracting interest from programs at one level and then suddenly get an offer from a more successful program and be worried that such an opportunity might not come up later. Programs themselves may also pressure players who are seen more as probable bench players as they figure they can move on to other prospects or bring in transfers later if they still have openings. If a top player has an injury, she is still going to have a similar level of interest. For other players, not signing early and getting injured during the high school season may really cut down on options and a lot of players want to do everything possible to sign in that early period.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If Im a coach I dont wanna a verbal until their late junior or early senior class. A couple of examples Jackie Gemelos and Kia Vaugh. Both said they wanted to play for UConn and then went elsewhere. That kept others from coming to UConn as both were top players at their position. So if a high school underclassman wants to go to a school they can let the coach know however wait til they're a little older.

Reaction Score
Two reasons for players transferring are mistaken perceptions about their own ability (better or worse) and players who let others choose the school.
Exactly. But there have been some exceptions. Destiny Slocum committed in the summer which isn't early. She found out during her freshman year that Maryland wasn't the right fit for her.

Personally, I think Saylor Poffenbarger committed early because of what an earlier poster stated. If she didn't commit early, by her senior year, her dream school of UConn may not have had a spot for her on their roster.

Reaction Score
I believe that the number of early commitments is actually slowing down as was pointed out by @TerpWomenFan in a recent post. I was really surprised by Mobley's commitment when you consider that the last player to commit to Louisville that early was asked to take a healthy redshirt this season. I do believe early commitments leads to more transfers. I'm not sure I would agree that these kids are being pressured to commit early though. Sophomore commitments are not binding to either party and every year of HS is transformative for potential WCBB players. A player might be ahead of the pack as a sophomore but by Junior year the pack has a tendency to catch up.

agreed........................I'm actually surprised how long the top fifty recruits wait before committing these days................choosing a school as a soph is kind of a rarity for a highly ranked player..........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For the most part, I do not think that top recruits have much pressure to commit early. If they are truly top players, there will always be room for them and most teams do not use anything close to all their scholarships. Some players do have dream schools and lock in there early only to regret it later. A lot of top prospects also want to get done with the recruiting process as soon as possible. As a former contributor to the mail system, I have some understanding of just how much communication they receive, resulting in tons of relationships to maintain along with high school, basketball, and sometimes even social life. Committing basically immediately removes all of that and makes it one set of relationships to manage.

I do know that there is a lot of pressure on players below that top level. Different programs have vastly different evaluations of non-elite players so one day a player could be attracting interest from programs at one level and then suddenly get an offer from a more successful program and be worried that such an opportunity might not come up later. Programs themselves may also pressure players who are seen more as probable bench players as they figure they can move on to other prospects or bring in transfers later if they still have openings. If a top player has an injury, she is still going to have a similar level of interest. For other players, not signing early and getting injured during the high school season may really cut down on options and a lot of players want to do everything possible to sign in that early period.
Agree that the pressure on “2nd tier” recruits to commit early is greater than the very top kids. For many 2nd tier kids it’s like a game of musical chairs. If they wait for their “dream school” to offer, they may just find themselves without a solid offer to go to a good school with a realistic chance to play. I also believe there can be a lot of pressure from friends who want to know, “Where you going”, and there can be particularly intense pressure from parents who can be overly involved in the process.

Reaction Score
Andra transferred because she should have been playing more. If she had stayed, she would have played a key role her second year.

Reaction Score
You are as usual right. I too think that the early commits are REAL KIDS and don't fully know or apprehend what most adults mean when signing a letter to commit. Few Coaches, I would think, really believe they have that kid locked in. Geno has had one or two that pulled out before coming to Uconn. I, personally, rarely took an early commit as a solid Uconn recruit, at times I may have posted: Wait until Sept (of the year to commit) to be sure.

Reaction Score
AEH also said she regretted not taking more college visits while in HS, pledged to take more visits and more time once she transferred from UCONN, but then committed to the only school (MSU) she visited after departing UCONN.
AEH, as many kids (legal adults, psychologically kids), don't always think things through. In my second childhood I am guilty of that. I'm unhappy AEH departed for her, for me, for Uconn. Adults and kids say things not always logical or applicable to the situation. Now military commits are LOCKED---unless they get a "for the convenience of the government:. It appears that is akin to AEH's situation.

Reaction Score
I think for the most part it works out for everyone....where the kids ultimately end up is where they probably should have been all along..sometimes the journey is as important as the destination...how many people marry their first girlfriend or boyfriend?

Reaction Score
Andra transferred because she should have been playing more. If she had stayed, she would have played a key role her second year.
I heard Andra transferred because she would not conform to the coaches’ policy on facial jewelry. I heard Geno say the infamous, “She’s gone because I wanted her gone. You tell somebody to do something, then you tell them again,... and pretty soon they’re not here anymore.” But I’ve never heard she transferred because of playing time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I heard Andra transferred because she would not conform to the coaches’ policy on facial jewelry. I heard Geno say the infamous, “She’s gone because I wanted her gone. You tell somebody to do something, then you tell them again,... and pretty soon they’re not here anymore.” But I’ve never heard she transferred because of playing time.
I Don't disagree with the last sentence

Reaction Score
Agree that the pressure on “2nd tier” recruits to commit early is greater than the very top kids. For many 2nd tier kids it’s like a game of musical chairs. If they wait for their “dream school” to offer, they may just find themselves without a solid offer to go to a good school with a realistic chance to play. I also believe there can be a lot of pressure from friends who want to know, “Where you going”, and there can be particularly intense pressure from parents who can be overly involved in the process.
I definitely agree. Since pretty much all of the 2nd tier types are not going to be playing professionally, I've always advised them and their parents to focus on where they'll be comfortable getting their education because they'll more than likely be using it much sooner.

Reaction Score
She thought she should have been playing more. There were times she played great and other times not so much. Besides, CD is the one who sets the no jewelry rules, etc.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She thought she should have been playing more. There were times she played great and other times not so much. Besides, CD is the one who sets the no jewelry rules, etc.
Slight correction. Geno sets the rules. CD is the ENFORCER.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Slight correction. Geno sets the rules. CD is the ENFORCER.

From Geno's prior quotes, regarding issues not directly related to tactical strategy, CD sets many of the team rules and wont get involved (because they are quite similar ideologically) unless he strongly does not agree.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When did AEH play "great" at UCONN? She left UCONN a 38% shooter.
It does not matter who sets or enforces the rules, just that the rules are understood and followed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom