Preseason Top 15 | The Boneyard

Preseason Top 15

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Might be jumping the gun a little bit but figured I'd get the ball rolling...here's my very early (and quickly drafted) top 15 right now, assuming players are healthy and there aren't transfers. I'm sure this will be tweaked quite a bit before it's all said and done:
1. Oregon-if Ionescu comes back, they should be the prohibitive front runners. Everyone is back aside from Cazorla, plus they bring in the younger Sabally.

2. Baylor-they'll be loaded once again with their sophomore class plus Cox. Big losses are Brown and Jackson, but the development of players like Scott-Grayson, Egbo and Decosta should help offset that.

3. Connecticut-they lose 2 greats but still have a very good core of Dangerfield, Williams and Walker. Look for ONO to make strides in the offseason. Aside from that, the cupboard is very thin but look for them to be in the hunt for a grad transfer/international player.

4. South Carolina-after an up and down season they should be back in Final Four form 2 years post A'ja. They return good backcourt play plus Herbert Herrigan upfront and bring in the #1 class.

5. Notre Dame-this is assuming Jackie Young returns. Notre Dame will still be strong with a young roster that will be centered around Jackie Young. Muffet is among the best when it comes to developing talent, so I don't see Notre Dame dropping out of the top 7-8 unless Young goes pro.

6. Oregon State-up and down year for OSU that finished with a disappointing Sweet 16 showing. They have almost everyone back and should get a boost from Aquino.

7. Texas A&M-everyone is back for the Aggies. Question is will they run a more balanced offense or will it be the Carter show?

8. Maryland-everyone is back for the Terps including potential POY candidate Kaila Charles.

9. Stanford-they lose Smith but will be strong with a great cast of players returning in addition to Jones and Belibi. If Sniezek decides to use her 5th year at Stanford, the Card could get a big boost in the backcourt.

10. Louisville-massive losses with Carter, Durr and Fuerhing. Much depends on if Walz stays and how the team adjusts without Asia.

11. NC State-they have a good roster back and should get a boost from their injured players returning. Leslie is a big loss.

12. Mississippi State-can't see them dropping too far down with Schaefer at the helm. They lose 4 starters but returning 2 stud outside shooters in AEH and Bibby. Also had some good contributions from Scott this year and look for Promise Taylor to make an impact in Starkville.

13. Tennessee-a lot depends on who is coaching them, but no question Tennessee has top 10 talent on its roster. A starting 5 of Horston, Westbrook, Green, Davis and Collins could be outstanding.

14. Miami-all key contributors are back aside from Hoff.

15. Texas-on paper they look dangerous with Holmes, Sutton, Collier and Higgs all back. Plus Sedona Prince should be healthy. Whether they'll be good or not is a different story.

Others to keep an eye on:
Kentucky-Howard is back and Patterson is eligible
MTSU-bring in 2 former top 10 players in Rellah Boothe (coming off ACL) and Anastasia Hayes
UCLA-good talent returning, although lose Drummer and Burke
Syracuse-stud PG is back

Teams that may suffer the biggest drop offs include:
-Notre Dame
-Mississippi State
-Louisville
-Connecticut

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
5 seems ambitious for Notre Dame even if Young comes back. But I am thinking/hoping there will be some additions to the roster before next season. So that may change things.

The lineup would be something like: Nixon-Peoples-Young-Patterson-Vaughn. With a bench of: Brunelle, Cosgrove, Gilbert, and Prohaska. (Totally guessing on which two guards would start next to Young).

One one hand, that's 6 HS All-Americans. On the other, it's one proven starter, two rotation players (Prohaska and Vaughn) and the rest unknown quantities as college players.

But I hope you are right! I'm thinking ND will be more in 10-15 range with Young and in the 15-25 range without.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
5 seems ambitious for Notre Dame even if Young comes back. But I am thinking/hoping there will be some additions to the roster before next season. So that may change things.

The lineup would be something like: Nixon-Peoples-Young-Patterson-Vaughn. With a bench of: Brunelle, Cosgrove, Gilbert, and Prohaska. (Totally guessing on which two guards would start next to Young).

One one hand, that's 6 HS All-Americans. On the other, it's one proven starter, two rotation players (Prohaska and Vaughn) and the rest unknown quantities as college players.

But I hope you are right! I'm thinking ND will be more in 10-15 range with Young and in the 15-25 range without.

I've learned not to underestimate Notre Dame despite losing players to graduation.....they've been a number 1 seed eight straight years now and Muffet does a great job preparing younger players to take on more significant roles when it is their time to shine (ex. McBride, Achonwa, Cable)

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Ouch..... we're #12. But to put up an underwhelming showing this year made the entire SEC nation wonder how good we truly were. Our best accomplishment was owning Dawn Staley, and I'm glad we finally got that ship righted, but ultimately it's a much smaller prize after 2 losses to Oregon and beating twice the weakest SC team in forever. No complaints with that #12 ranking for now.

I agree Oregon should be #1 (but dependent on Ionescu returning). If Ionescu goes, then Baylor is my #1. Can't agree with UConn or Notre Dame being that high for any reason. They lose too much imo, that can be realistically made up that fast.

I think SEC next year might go from weakest to strongest. Texas A&M, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and if Walz goes to Tennessee, you can add them to the mix too. Those 4 are gonna make that conference really interesting next year, and get those ratings back up after this obvious lackluster year. (in that league)

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers should be pretty good. Though a lot will depend on how Davenport plays, as I see her starting from day one. Also, we'll be a lot better after Christmas as Morris will become eligible.

I also think we might play the graduate transfer market again, so we'll see who we can get. We need post depth.

Reaction Score
Nice work. I think this list will change dramatically if transfer season is anything like the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
Look out for FSU..... they return everyone.... and add two injured players who didnt play at all this season.... and another injured player who torn her ACL in January, plus they have a pretty good recruiting class I think.
I agree. I think FSU will be really good next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make an appearance in the top 10 next season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to wait and see the impact of graduate transfers and or the new NCAA transfers rules that are promised to be in effect before the start of the academic. Believe the NCAA is moving towards a 5 year model with no sitting for transfers or medical.
I think you have Baylor pegged correctly but for the wrong reason. Smith is the player that appears most ready to step in and help Baylor more than the three you mentioned. I'm probably biased but I just don't believe in Honesty-Grayson even a little bit, but Jordyn Oliver is going to be ready to contribute.

Reaction Score
Might be jumping the gun a little bit but figured I'd get the ball rolling...here's my very early (and quickly drafted) top 15 right now, assuming players are healthy and there aren't transfers. I'm sure this will be tweaked quite a bit before it's all said and done:
1. Oregon-if Ionescu comes back, they should be the prohibitive front runners. Everyone is back aside from Cazorla, plus they bring in the younger Sabally.

2. Baylor-they'll be loaded once again with their sophomore class plus Cox. Big losses are Brown and Jackson, but the development of players like Scott-Grayson, Egbo and Decosta should help offset that.

3. Connecticut-they lose 2 greats but still have a very good core of Dangerfield, Williams and Walker. Look for ONO to make strides in the offseason. Aside from that, the cupboard is very thin but look for them to be in the hunt for a grad transfer/international player.

4. South Carolina-after an up and down season they should be back in Final Four form 2 years post A'ja. They return good backcourt play plus Herbert Herrigan upfront and bring in the #1 class.

5. Notre Dame-this is assuming Jackie Young returns. Notre Dame will still be strong with a young roster that will be centered around Jackie Young. Muffet is among the best when it comes to developing talent, so I don't see Notre Dame dropping out of the top 7-8 unless Young goes pro.

6. Oregon State-up and down year for OSU that finished with a disappointing Sweet 16 showing. They have almost everyone back and should get a boost from Aquino.

7. Texas A&M-everyone is back for the Aggies. Question is will they run a more balanced offense or will it be the Carter show?

8. Maryland-everyone is back for the Terps including potential POY candidate Kaila Charles.

9. Stanford-they lose Smith but will be strong with a great cast of players returning in addition to Jones and Belibi. If Sniezek decides to use her 5th year at Stanford, the Card could get a big boost in the backcourt.

10. Louisville-massive losses with Carter, Durr and Fuerhing. Much depends on if Walz stays and how the team adjusts without Asia.

11. NC State-they have a good roster back and should get a boost from their injured players returning. Leslie is a big loss.

12. Mississippi State-can't see them dropping too far down with Schaefer at the helm. They lose 4 starters but returning 2 stud outside shooters in AEH and Bibby. Also had some good contributions from Scott this year and look for Promise Taylor to make an impact in Starkville.

13. Tennessee-a lot depends on who is coaching them, but no question Tennessee has top 10 talent on its roster. A starting 5 of Horston, Westbrook, Green, Davis and Collins could be outstanding.

14. Miami-all key contributors are back aside from Hoff.

15. Texas-on paper they look dangerous with Holmes, Sutton, Collier and Higgs all back. Plus Sedona Prince should be healthy. Whether they'll be good or not is a different story.

Others to keep an eye on:
Kentucky-Howard is back and Patterson is eligible
MTSU-bring in 2 former top 10 players in Rellah Boothe (coming off ACL) and Anastasia Hayes
UCLA-good talent returning, although lose Drummer and Burke
Syracuse-stud PG is back

Teams that may suffer the biggest drop offs include:
-Notre Dame
-Mississippi State
-Louisville
-Connecticut
Thanks, BBall, posters like you are what makes the BY so interesting. I see South Carolina as the team to beat next year depending on what Dawn can do with the Freshmen.

Reaction Score
I think the winner of this year's NC is going to be the preseason #1...it's only fair. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Assuming Sabrina and young go pro, quick thoughts

1. Baylor
  2. Maryland
  3. Stanford
  4. So carolina
  5. Oregon st

Reaction Score
South Carolina has way too many unanswered questions to be any kind of favorite, except perhaps as a co-favorite in the SEC with Miss State.

I don't have the slightest idea what to expect as far as pace of play or rotations or offensive emphasis.

I think we missed a great opportunity to simply embrace an up and down style and freshmen like Henderson and Saxton and just let them get experience. Instead, coach put her chips on some veterans who predictably were unable to pay it off.

Still, USC made the Sweet 16 and lost to a team it wasn't in the discussion with as far as balanced talent. So that was a pretty good season all things considered.

Reaction Score
This a Great Post.

I think next year will be the year of the PAC 12. Top 3 teams in Pac 12 will be returning core groups.

ACC - Will take a huge hit with all the talent Graduating. Still ND's, to lose.
FSU, will be the surprise team.

Big 12 - Texas Young Talent, might make the jump to dethrone young Baylor team. Pretty weak conference overall.

SEC Up for grabs. Much quicker league with dominant guard play now that all The Bigs have graduated (Aja/McCowan). South Carolina should be the front runners. Tennessee if they keep their talent and get the right coach could contend. Texas A&M should be the next team up but I don't trust them.
PAC 12 Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St. All three teams with a real shot at winning title next year. UCLA will be on the fringe. By far will be the most competitive conference next season.

Big 10 will down a bit due to Graduation. But they will have the best team in the Country in Maryland. Brenda Frese great coach great recruiter.

My Top 10
Oregon
Baylor
Maryland
Stanford
South Carolina
Texas
Oregon St
Conn
Notre Dame
Texas A&M

Reaction Score
Oregon State still has a few kinks to work out, but they are certainly capable of a final four next season. They return Destiny Slocum, Mikayla Pivec, and Taya Corosdale, and Tudor returns from injury and seems likely to take McWilliams place. Goodman will continue to provide outstanding depth (assuming she gets her shooting touch back), but the development of Simmons will be a key for some extra depth.

Then we have, for the second year in a row, the big question: center? So many possible answers, you’d have to think one will work out pretty well. Will be interesting to see how Kennedy Brown, Taylor Jones, and Andrea Aquino’s skill sets are all utilized by Rueck. Maddie Washington and Janessa Thropay will be seniors, but their contribution levels next season may depend on the newcomers. Jelena Mitrovic and Patricia Morris will round out the front court, both are centers. The starting 5 is wide open it seems, as is depth at both positions. Super excited to see how that situation situates itself.

Reaction Score
Assuming Sabrina and young go pro, quick thoughts

1. Baylor
  2. Maryland
  3. Stanford
  4. So carolina
  5. Oregon st
Top to bottom talent wise this may be true but I don't see Maryland as the #2 team.

1. Baylor
2. Oregon
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. South Carolina
6. Maryland
7. Oregon State
8. Notre Dame
9. Louisville
10. NC State
11. MSST
12. Florida State

Reaction Score
UConn will still be so dangerous next season. It is obvious in watching Nelson-Ododa she will make a huge stride. Dangerfield will run the show as well as anyone else in the country. Williams and Walker will have to be more consistent as they will move from a role player role to being depended upon.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Unless someone leaves the team, there's no room for Sniezek - we will have the full number of scholarship players with our four incoming recruits. (More subjectively, color me skeptical that Sniezek running the point is better for us than Williams - especially with our Princeton offense that benefits from spacing and 5 versatile scorers.)

Incidentally, while I think Stanford will gain more than it loses next year with Smith & Coffee leaving and Jones, Belibi, Prechtel, and Jump coming in, realistically 2020-2021 is the target year to be in the running for a championship.

For 2020-21, our roster would look like this:

1 Kiana Williams (senior) / Jenna Brown (junior) / Jana Van Gytenbeek (freshman)
2 Lacie or Lexie Hull (junior) / Hannah Jump (sophomore)
3 Haley Jones (sophomore) / Lexie or Lacie Hull (junior) / Estella Moschkau (senior)
4 Fran Belibi (sophomore) / Alyssa Jerome (senior) / Cameron Brink (freshman)
5 Maya Dodson (senior) / Ashten Prechtel (sophomore)

Assuming no one transfers and no injuries, that is a heck of a lot of depth and talent at every position (and given the Princeton, the 1-5 distinctions are somewhat arbitrary).

Reaction Score
1 Kiana Williams (senior) / Jenna Brown (junior) / Jana Van Gytenbeek (freshman)
3 Haley Jones (sophomore) / Lexie or Lacie Hull (junior) / Estella Moschkau (senior)

Assuming no one transfers and no injuries, that is a heck of a lot of depth and talent at every position (and given the Princeton, the 1-5 distinctions are somewhat arbitrary).
Now who would you like to see fill those final two roster spots in 2020-21?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Now who would you like to see fill those final two roster spots in 2020-21?

I'm not a recruiting insider/guru who follows this stuff super closely, but based on the chatter I hear, I think the most realistic candidates are Natalija Marshall (6'5" post ranked #14) and possibly Dalayah Daniels (6'3" post ranked #16). In theory Paige Bueckers is also on our short list and there's a lot of (hopeful) chatter about her, but she is getting attention from a lot of the top programs and I haven't seen the kind of "4.X academic all-star" or "academics is really important to me" kinds of signals that are typical of the kinds of recruits who ultimately get admitted to Stanford and choose to come to the Farm.

But that's all wild speculation on my part.

Reaction Score
Top to bottom talent wise this may be true but I don't see Maryland as the #2 team.

1. Baylor
2. Oregon
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. South Carolina
6. Maryland
7. Oregon State
8. Notre Dame
9. Louisville
10. NC State
11. MSST
12. Florida State
A&M is the only team in the S16 that returns all 5 starters from a team that just led Notre Dame in the 4th quarter... and you'd pick us 3rd or worse in the SEC? :(

Reaction Score
A&M is the only team in the S16 that returns all 5 starters from a team that just led Notre Dame in the 4th quarter... and you'd pick us 3rd or worse in the SEC? :(
Being 3rd in a 14 team conference isn't bad. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas A&M win the SEC next season. There are two things that basically bothers me about A&M. The heavy reliance of the starters and the lack of rebounding at times. Obviously you know more about your team than I do so you can clarify this. Also I saw you guys only had one recruit coming in (Green). .

Reaction Score
Unless someone leaves the team, there's no room for Sniezek - we will have the full number of scholarship players with our four incoming recruits. (More subjectively, color me skeptical that Sniezek running the point is better for us than Williams - especially with our Princeton offense that benefits from spacing and 5 versatile scorers.)

Incidentally, while I think Stanford will gain more than it loses next year with Smith & Coffee leaving and Jones, Belibi, Prechtel, and Jump coming in, realistically 2020-2021 is the target year to be in the running for a championship.

For 2020-21, our roster would look like this:

Thats a nice group of ladies with multi faceted skill sets. Lots of athletic length.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Have to wait and see the impact of graduate transfers and or the new NCAA transfers rules that are promised to be in effect before the start of the academic. Believe the NCAA is moving towards a 5 year model with no sitting for transfers or medical.
I think you have Baylor pegged correctly but for the wrong reason. Smith is the player that appears most ready to step in and help Baylor more than the three you mentioned. I'm probably biased but I just don't believe in Honesty-Grayson even a little bit, but Jordyn Oliver is going to be ready to contribute.

If the changes go into effect before the seasons start, would that make midseason transfer eligible right away?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom