Preseason: Early Rothstein 45 for 2021(UConn #28) | The Boneyard

Preseason: Early Rothstein 45 for 2021(UConn #28)

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

28. UConn

G
R.J. Cole
G
James Bouknight
F
Andre Jackson
F
Akok Akok
C
Adama Sanogo

Key Losses: Christian Vital, Alterique Gilbert

Key Newcomers: R.J. Cole (transfer), Andre Jackson, Richie Springs (redshirt), Javonte Brown-Ferguson, Adama Sanogo

Projected Bench: Richie Springs, Javonte Brown-Ferguson, Jalen Gaffney, Tyler Polley, Brendan Adams, Isaiah Whaley, Josh Carlton

Reaction Score
Look at that bench - That would have been a legit starting 5 for us in our recent past. And how long has it been since we had this deep of a front court... 2009? 2006? 2004?

And yes, I realize he shouldn't have Akok Akok in as a starter at this point. But still... LOOK AT THAT BENCH :cool:

It feels great to be seriously competitive again. Thank you Dan Hurley and the entire UConn coaching staff!!! Can't wait for November... or whenever we start playing again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This team is going to be so fun to watch. We can go small, we can go fast, we can be huge. Whatever is needed we can do it. Hurley is going to have an absolute blast coaching these guys. Definitely more talent and more diversity and depth of talent than any of his URI squads had.

Reaction Score
Rose colored glasses on but I think 28 is vastly underrated.

- top returner in the country who seems to be bought into the system
- starting PG battle including a (albeit mid major) conference MVP
- front court that held its own down the stretch last year + newcomers
- classic 3rd year glue guy in BA
- depth that will push practice competition to new heights
- talented freshmen we can ease into impact roles
- maniac of a coach, good X&O guy who slaps the center court logo

Reaction Score
That will NOT be the starting line up. Akok will not be reaady to go. And Hurley tends to pick a starting line up and stick to it. So Sanogo will have a tough time starting over so many other choices.

Reaction Score
So Sanogo will have a tough time starting over so many other choices
by so many other choices i'm assuming you mean whaley and cartlon? but if whaley starts at PF (like he did after akok got hurt) then sanogo only has to beat out one guy.

that will be a challenge if carlton's weight loss means he can play like he did as a sophomore, but i'm not counting on that just yet, so right now i'm giving sanogo a slight edge over josh.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I agree with others. As good as Sanogo can be I don’t see him starting over two seniors who have been all conference type guys at various points in their careers. With the uncertainty of Akok’s Achilles Whaley and Carlton will be our starting

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
This team is going to be so fun to watch. We can go small, we can go fast, we can be huge. Whatever is needed we can do it. Hurley is going to have an absolute blast coaching these guys. Definitely more talent and more diversity and depth of talent than any of his URI squads had.
The best part is that this is a team that will continue to get better year after year. Everything is looking up and we will have some really good players for the long haul. Uconn is back.

Reaction Score
I have watched many games from our glory days and one thing that sticks out is the depth we had. Check out games from 2004. Holy crap, we had Denham Brown, Charlie, Hilton and Marcus Williams on the bench. In 1995 we had Kirk King, Brian Fair, Eric Hayward Rudy Johnson and more. We are getting back to those days and I can't wait.

Reaction Score
saying we got HOT last year because carlton was starting is like saying we got HOT in 2011 because olander was starting

No. It would be like saying that we won the Championship in 2011 because of Olander. Which would be ludicrous.

But the settling on Olander starting at the 4 was a key part of getting hot. It allowed Roscoe to view himself as the 3, even though he played the overwhelming majority of his minutes at the 4. And it kept Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, who might otherwise have started as the 4, from viewing himself as a starter and overrating his importance to the team.

Reaction Score
I have watched many games from our glory days and one thing that sticks out is the depth we had. Check out games from 2004. Holy crap, we had Denham Brown, Charlie, Hilton and Marcus Williams on the bench. In 1995 we had Kirk King, Brian Fair, Eric Hayward Rudy Johnson and more. We are getting back to those days and I can't wait.
Now, Eric Hayword, a name I have not heard of in a long time. Well done sir

pj

Reaction Score
That will NOT be the starting line up. Akok will not be reaady to go. And Hurley tends to pick a starting line up and stick to it. So Sanogo will have a tough time starting over so many other choices.

Or Sanogo starts alongside Whaley (or Springs, or Polley/Adams if they go small).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
saying we got HOT last year because carlton was starting is like saying we got HOT in 2011 because olander was starting
That would be Two Time National Champion Tyler Olander to you!

Now, good day sir. I said good day!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have lots of bigs but are thin on guards- who are we after, any ones in particular seem to be leaning UConn's way? What point guards are we pursuing and who are the shooters we want? And who is sitting out a year after transfering?

Reaction Score
We have lots of bigs but are thin on guards- who are we after, any ones in particular seem to be leaning UConn's way? What point guards are we pursuing and who are the shooters we want? And who is sitting out a year after transfering?

Reaction Score
Whaley 100% starting not even a question. I think josh May start season Alongside him but I expect sanogo to take his spot by the time mid December rolls around

Reaction Score

Oh come on now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom