Preseason 2014-15 jitters- a few words about Kiah Stokes | The Boneyard

Preseason 2014-15 jitters- a few words about Kiah Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I must say, I was at the West Chester game, and I am, in fact, jittery about witnessing Kiah Stokes's senior year. The reason for my anticipation stems from a BRILLIANT defensive play: a nasty block that she fielded and corralled before the ball went out of bounds. What's more, she made it look easy. Yep, we're going to be seeing a lot of that in 2014-15.

We didn't always have this level of anticipation about Kiah. Sure, she was a McDonalds All-American, the daughter of a former NBA player, the pride of Iowa with the perfect basketball build. Michelangelo used to say that all he needed to do to sculpt David was to cut away at marble until David emerged. Geno Auriemma? Well he's been chipping away at a promising block of marble for 3+ years. And Kiah is emerging.

It was a rough freshman campaign for Kiah. She seemed scared- scared "it-less", even. Apparently, she didn't get "it", whatever "it" was that freshmen were supposed to get. Geno would bench her in a heartbeat, notwithstanding her great games against Stanford and Duke in 2011-12. I remember in a game against Marquette ( a relative homecoming for Kiah), Kiah got so little playing time that she was reportedly in tears. We knew what that meant. There were whispers of speculation regarding a subject about which the Boneyard forbids speculation. You know what I'm talking about.

Thank heavens for Greg Stokes.

Papa Stokes is said to have given her invaluable support and encouragement, mixed with the explanation of what Geno was doing with her. Maybe it was devil's advocacy. Whatever it was, it helped Kiah immensely. The nature/nurture debate is fascinating and endless, but this was clearly a manifestation of nurture helping along that immense talent which nature presumably aided and abetted.

Kiah kept on keepin' on. As a sophomore, she was still it-less as far as Geno was concerned, but she got to be a regular bench player on a national championship-winning team. That was fun, right? By the conclusion of 2012-13 , her name was synonymous with blocked shots and crisp rebounding. She may or may not have gotten "it"...but surely she had gotten something.

And you know what? He junior year was even better. Sure, Stewie may have gotten the limelight, but Geno started to trust Kiah. Playing time increased. Kiah was one of a rotation of six- a transcendentally great rotation at that. 40-0, another national championship- I mean, you wouldn't think of [BY moderator edit] from that.

In 2014-15, Kiah's going to be the starting post for UConn WBB, an incarnation of UConn WBB that figures to be special. It was clear for many years that she was heir to that starting role once Stef graduated. I imagine Kiah's pretty jittery herself.

Here's my punchline, or alternatively, a message to Kiah: you don't have that role by default. You earned it. Now go out there and kick some ass.

Thank you Kiah, and godspeed.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I still think Kiah will average around 10 points per game,10 rebounds,5 blocks,two assists,per game.It will get to the point,where very few times anyone will try to go into her zone and try to score.
I like to think of Kiah,as the great white shark.Swim in the ocean anywhere else,you may be safe.Swim in her area,you will get swallowed up.
By the end of the year,I predict she reap several awards;and at least honorable mention All American.

Reaction Score
I worried about Kiah, too, before the season started, and even now, a little bit. You're easing my mind, Alex. As long as she works to be Kiah and not Stef, she'll be great and help this team to greatness.

Reaction Score
I get the sense that most are not so much worried that Kiah will succeed as we are invested in her success. I have to a say that I am invested in Kiah, Morgan, and Gabby because of the obstacles they have overcome. The same for Kaleena. It was heartbreaking to watch such adept players on the bench with injury. I want them to shine...on their own terms.

Reaction Score
Kiah has magnificent instincts and timing, particularly defensively. My guess is that in high school she did not need more to succeed. She could rebound, block shots and score simply because she possesses a great basketball body and because of those instincts and timing. I also suspect that she didn't have to go hard all the time because that was not demanded of her every day in practice, and in games she could get away without high intensity much of the time.

Then she comes to UConn where hard work is demanded each and every day. She is in a situation where she is expected to understand the game and her assignments. Her instincts and timing are not enough for Geno and company. That did not stop her from performing in certain games (Duke and Stanford) because her strengths (playing 1 on 1 defense, rebounding and blocking shots) still translated and were enough. For those moments. Unfortunately, UConn doesn't demand moments, they demand consistency and understanding.

I believe it finally "clicked" last year, with a big assist from her father. She wanted to improve. She wanted her teammates to trust her. She wanted the respect of her coaches. She accepted the value of going hard all (okay most) of the time. I believe that barring injury or chronic foul trouble she will have an eye-opening campaign and average a double/double with enough blocks to change games. If her offensive game progresses, look out come tournament time! I really look forward to watching her development this year.

Reaction Score
Kiah .......

My take is a bit different. For the first two years, Kiah was for the most part in a position where she felt she could defer and therefore did. When she couldn't defer, she didn't and played superbly. The coaching staff's desire (mandate) to put excellence on the court does not allow any hesitancy or less than complete confidence. When Kiah ?realized? last year that she was COUNTED upon all the time for her skills and abilities for the team to be successful, she ?rose? to the occasion (all the time). Nothing changed physically or mentally except her realization that the team NEEDED her.
For opponents this year - watch out - UCONN needs Kiah and therefore Kiah will be fantastic.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I have complete faith and miss Stokes and I am looking forward to her senior season where I believe she will shine.

Reaction Score
IMHO Kiah will have a fantastic senior season! She will wind up 2nd team AA and lead the nation in blocked shots and top 5 in rebounds! She will be rated the #1 center coming out! For whatever reason, I noticed toward the end of last season, a "hunger"/desire that was not noticeable previously that she wanted to, and needed to excel. She'll avg. in the 8 to 10 point range which is really all the team needs from her offensively. But defensively she will be a beast in the paint!
Seeing that Elizabeth Williams had made preseason AA made me sick! She may be the most overrated big girl in the last 15 years!
Kiah's season will dominate Williams and EW will make 1st team AA. She is a major reason Duke has under achieved the past 3 years!

Reaction Score
Kiah will be a big help on the fast break also. She is really fast running the floor and will be in position to make a pass or layup.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Have no fear, nor jitters. This year is all good.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stuff. Nothing to add except that I share your enthusiasm and anticipation of the year she is about to have. I can't wait to see her go up against bigs from teams like SC, whose fans seem to think they have some sort of advantage in the post vs. UCONN. Good luck with that!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive read posts that refer to the loss of Stef and Bria. Well MoJeff is an experienced replacement as is Kiah and both are different type players that can deliver at their positions. Saniya and Kia will be a boost at the guard positions and having Morgan Tuck back healthy well enough said she can do it all. So IMO UConn has gained more then they've lost. Kiah is a great rebounded and defender. She will get a lot of baskets underneath. Shes not the passer Stef was but who is? Kiah has a different game and imo will be very effective defensively and will get her points from just being scrappy. I keep hearing about all the size at Duke USC and ND. My question is how good is their defense when they have to come out and defend us and run around the court defending us. Do they have the stamina? Do they have the quickness? Are we going to blow my them. What about fouls trying to keep up with us. Post players play down low not on the perimeter chasing quicker players.

The way you beat UConn is by outscoring them and to do that you have to keep them from scoring and to play this UConn team one on one without weak side help or double teaming key players is a very tuff task. Now this UConn team is going to score 75-85 pts a game against top teams. Which top team can score that many points against UConns defense?

Reaction Score
Have no fear, nor jitters. This year is all good.
I have one fear that some teams will keep attacking her trying to get her in foul trouble.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
They will just like they did Stef and Breanna last season. Thank goodness if she has an off nite we have MT(empty) If they cant score they cant win. Morgan Tuck Not Allowing for opposing teams to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom