Pres. Hetbst: UConn's APR for this year going to be in the high 900's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pres. Hetbst: UConn's APR for this year going to be in the high 900's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is the rolling score still relevent? I always thought that was an unnecessary complication of a convoluted process.

The rolling score protects you if you have an occassional bad year. If you punished teams on a year-to-year basis, then all it would take is a couple of transfers to potentially keep you out of the postseason. Uconn's problem is that we had 2 bad years (2009 and 2010), so it will take another year or two to balance those out. But in terms of punishing teams based on the new standards, I don't see how you can base it on the 4 year rolling score for 2013, which would include those previous years for which Uconn has already been punished. The 975 in 2011 and the (presumably) good score in 2012 need to be given more weight since they would clearly show that the new "corrective action plan" is working. But I'm presuming that the NCAA will use common sense, which may be presumptuous.

Reaction Score
Is the rolling score still relevent? I always thought that was an unnecessary complication of a convoluted process.
It's relevant for APR. We should be getting back a scholarship or two next year with this high score. After the vote this Friday(?), the slate might be cleaned which means that it may start with 2011-12 as the beginning of the rolling score, as many have pointed out on this board. If so, we will be in great shape.

Reaction Score
It's a stupid measure. Good to see that the new prez is willing to do what it takes to game the thing.

Why is it stupid? Though imperfect - like all possible measures - it has clearly led to schools starting to limit the recruiting of people who don't belong in college and has clearly led to higher gradation rates.

How is Herbst gaming the system?

Reaction Score
The rolling score protects you if you have an occassional bad year. If you punished teams on a year-to-year basis, then all it would take is a couple of transfers to potentially keep you out of the postseason.

What you meant to say is "all it would take is a couple of transfers who had bad academic records to keep you out of the postseason."

Reaction Score
What you meant to say is "all it would take is a couple of transfers who had bad academic records to keep you out of the postseason."

True, but only if you consider a 2.5 GPA "bad." You lose a point for a transfer unless he meets a number of standards, one of them being a 2.6 GPA.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If UConn is docked 1 point for 2o12 its cool come the 2013 tourney.

2 points and its dicey. A smidgen under 900 for the rolling score by my count. They might let UConn slide with a waiver in 2013 with a 2 point knock

3 pts and and that's skirting the 930 line for the year which isn't enough to raise UConn's rolling average as close to 900 as we would like. I'd guess 3 pts and UConn is made an example of.

So there you go.

2012 deductions:
1 point good
2 points - pray for mercy. Or a waiver.
3 points bad. Very bad.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Thanks for the cite.

From what I read there, by the NCAA's own admission, it's hard to link the APR as having any effect on the graduation rate, considering grad rates were already trending upward prior to the APR's existence. Grad rates had been trending upward prior to the 10 year scope of this article as well. Its interesting to note that in college football, graduation rates have actually plateaued despite the existence of the APR, so what does that say about the APR as an incentive to graduate players again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom