Preparing for a new, improved UConn football (Kidwai/Chamberlain Husky Football Forum Podcast) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Preparing for a new, improved UConn football (Kidwai/Chamberlain Husky Football Forum Podcast)

Reaction Score
Guy played less than 2 full games. Not saying he should be the guy, but the sample size is pretty small.
He played a lot of games for Maine. With that tape included see pretty modest upside, if any, from last 2 years QB play at UConn. Sometimes you just aren't good enough.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He played a lot of games for Maine. With that tape included see pretty modest upside, if any, from last 2 years QB play at UConn. Sometimes you just aren't good enough.
Ok. The line play, the receivers at Maine are the same as at UConn As I said, he might not be the one, not arguing that he is. , but the useful sample size is virtually non existent .

Reaction Score
Wake was bad last year...they lost 7 of 8 games against conference foes...Cuse lost 6 of 8....both are very beatable.

Duke may offer a tougher game. Mike Elco left them as Head Coach to go to Texas A&M..and Penn State Defensive Coordinator, Manny Diaz, was hired to replace him.

Reaction Score
Reading that preview, I'm glad someone else shares my optimism. The influx of talent (meaning live snap experience) from the transfer portal combined with a lighter schedule should translate to wins this year. In a perfect scenario (emphasis on perfect), I can see 8 wins. More likely, I'm expecting 6, but I think anything under that would be a disappointment. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to earn bowl eligibility from a home slate that includes Merrimack, Rice, FAU, Temple, Buffalo, Georgia State, and then @UMass. I could also see the potential to upset Wake Forest at home, reminiscent of 2022's win vs. BC or the 2015 win vs. Houston. Point is: this schedule lacks some big brand name opponents, but I'd rather have wins that will ultimately get butts in seats and revive interest in the program rather than getting our teeth kicked in at Michigan...
We aren't the only team to improve thru portal. It's not like we invented something new. Though I agree I like our roster more now, but you have to take it with a grain of salt as every team we are going to play employs the same roster tactics

Reaction Score
Reading that preview, I'm glad someone else shares my optimism. The influx of talent (meaning live snap experience) from the transfer portal combined with a lighter schedule should translate to wins this year. In a perfect scenario (emphasis on perfect), I can see 8 wins. More likely, I'm expecting 6, but I think anything under that would be a disappointment. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to earn bowl eligibility from a home slate that includes Merrimack, Rice, FAU, Temple, Buffalo, Georgia State, and then @UMass. I could also see the potential to upset Wake Forest at home, reminiscent of 2022's win vs. BC or the 2015 win vs. Houston. Point is: this schedule lacks some big brand name opponents, but I'd rather have wins that will ultimately get butts in seats and revive interest in the program rather than getting our teeth kicked in at Michigan...
I generally agree with you. Outside of injuries, the biggest concern that I have is the same one we have every year. Do we have a quarterback that is at least as good as the other team's quarterback? Our quarterback room is devoid of very many FBS football snaps. Other than Fagnano, the entire rest of the group has taken one snap. ( actually I think Tucker McDonald took a couple snaps the end of the Umass game ). I would love to watch a few summer practices or talk to someone who has real inside information as to how the quarterback competition is shaping up once the summer season starts. Although I am cautiously optimistic that Nick Evers will be an upgrade, I am not convinced that a transfer from a better program than Uconn who has thrown only one pass in his college career is necessarily going to be our starter. Nevertheless, our trip to the Duke game is in the works along with the two final road games. Lets hope we find our quarterback and are bowling this year.

Reaction Score
Ok. The line play, the receivers at Maine are the same as at UConn As I said, he might not be the one, not arguing that he is. , but the useful sample size is virtually non existent .
If you are an average or below FCS QB with double figure starts its enough sample size to show you are not a FBS starting QB that is going to be a difference maker. He attempted 365 passes in 2022 with passing efficiency rating of 119.2 (#82) out of 102 FCS QB's rated.
If you are a FBS capable QB you should excel at FCS level, he did not. He has thrown over 750 passes over 5 years of college playing, plenty big enough sample size. As a comparison, Zach Frazer attempted only 562 passes in his entire UConn career.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If you are an average or below FCS QB with double figure starts its enough sample size to show you are not a FBS starting QB that is going to be a difference maker. He attempted 365 passes in 2022 with passing efficiency rating of 119.2 (#82) out of 102 FCS QB's rated.
If you are a FBS capable QB you should excel at FCS level, he did not. He has thrown over 750 passes over 5 years of college playing, plenty big enough sample size. As a comparison, Zach Frazer attempted only 562 passes in his entire UConn career.
So you have seen him play with better receivers and a better line than he (or any UConn QB) would hopefully would have compared to Maine. Ok. He might not play a snap. If he is the starter because the coaches think he is the guy, hopefully it isn’t because the others can’t cut it but because they think his Maine days are irrelevant and they think he can do the job. Let them make the call.

Reaction Score
So you have seen him play with better receivers and a better line than he (or any UConn QB) would hopefully would have compared to Maine. Ok. He might not play a snap. If he is the starter because the coaches think he is the guy, hopefully it isn’t because the others can’t cut it but because they think his Maine days are irrelevant and they think he can do the job. Let them make the call.
We need someone new. Not the ghost of Nick Charlton at QB

Reaction Score
I want 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing. Whatever combination of players that can deliver that, game after game, is who I want on the field. I really do not care beforehand who they are. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do we have a quarterback that is at least as good as the other team's quarterback?
That's the dream. I would accept "Do we actually have a functional passing game that prevents teams from loading up the box on us?"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing. Whatever combination of players that can deliver that, game after game, is who I want on the field. I really do not care beforehand who they are. ;)
300 rushing yards and 300 passing yards? I imagine this is a one game number, and I believe it is your preferred per game average.

Perhaps if we did a superb job of building out our offense we could pull this off, but 300 rushing yards (a quality goal, well, fir everyone except TDHusky) would burn a good amount of clock, limiting passing attempts, making it difficult to pull both off.

I would be very happy (thrilled in fact) with 175 rushing and 275 passing as a per game average. We could do very well with that production.

Reaction Score
If we can catch Maryland off guard like we did NC State in the opener last year (until it all fell apart) you never know what could happen.

They’re breaking in a new QB, the transfer from NC state that didn’t play until halfway through the season but was solid.

Maryland is predicted to finish in the bottom of the Big 10 and although they didn’t lose a ton in the transfer portal they did lose some key players and only brought 8 (6 three stars) compared to UConns 24 (20 three stars).

Of course UConn needed a complete revamp of their roster compared to Maryland but this isn’t Michigan or Tennessee we’re playing.

Reaction Score
If we can catch Maryland off guard like we did NC State in the opener last year (until it all fell apart) you never know what could happen.

They’re breaking in a new QB, the transfer from NC state that didn’t play until halfway through the season but was solid.

Maryland is predicted to finish in the bottom of the Big 10 and although they didn’t lose a ton in the transfer portal they did lose some key players and only brought 8 (6 three stars) compared to UConns 24 (20 three stars).

Of course UConn needed a complete revamp of their roster compared to Maryland but this isn’t Michigan or Tennessee we’re playing.
Where do you find Maryland to be predicted to finish in the bottom of the Big 10. The predictions I have seen place the Terps 10th to 12th in an eighteen team league. That is not close to the bottom. Look at the teams expected to fall below Maryland and tell me which of those teams we would be expected to beat. Maryland is arguably the best team we will play this fall.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We need someone new. Not the ghost of Nick Charlton at QB
A new OC has no allegiances to Charlton. If Fagnano gives us the best chance to win, who cares who brought him in.

All this Fagnano hate is odd. Tell me a more beautiful drive than the first one vs NC State last year? He got crushed on the 2nd drive, played hurt until he got injured for the season a game later.

Most coaches will tell you they have to evaluate a player in their system to see what the issues were. Even RE said that!!!

Finally, none of the those looking to deep 6 Fagnano have ever had a 2nd shot at anything at life, right?

Reaction Score
300 rushing yards and 300 passing yards? I imagine this is a one game number, and I believe it is your preferred per game average.

Perhaps if we did a superb job of building out our offense we could pull this off, but 300 rushing yards (a quality goal, well, fir everyone except TDHusky) would burn a good amount of clock, limiting passing attempts, making it difficult to pull both off.

I would be very happy (thrilled in fact) with 175 rushing and 275 passing as a per game average. We could do very well with that production.
Are you implying that this goal would require some long gainers via the passing attack? Yes, I want that. ;)

Reaction Score
Where do you find Maryland to be predicted to finish in the bottom of the Big 10. The predictions I have seen place the Terps 10th to 12th in an eighteen team league. That is not close to the bottom. Look at the teams expected to fall below Maryland and tell me which of those teams we would be expected to beat. Maryland is arguably the best team we will play this fall.
Athlon has them #11. They’re most likely the best team we will play this fall with our schedule. But they are no Michigan or Tennessee, I don’t expect to get blown out 56-0.

Reaction Score
Regarding Fagnano, I'm in the "give the guy a chance" camp. Hoping that he is good, but can't see the field because Evers lights it up, and Welliver develops quickly. Looking forward to Maryland!!

Reaction Score
One thing we know. With Charlton gone, there’ll be no favoritism towards Fagnano. Mora needs to win right away. Thus, if Fagnano takes the field first, I won’t be
expecting big things from either Evers or Welliver this year. My hope (and my hunch) is it’s one of those two who starts, and our new OC has created an offense to best match his talents. Can’t wait for the Maryland game to watch it all play out.

Reaction Score
A new OC has no allegiances to Charlton. If Fagnano gives us the best chance to win, who cares who brought him in.

All this Fagnano hate is odd. Tell me a more beautiful drive than the first one vs NC State last year? He got crushed on the 2nd drive, played hurt until he got injured for the season a game later.

Most coaches will tell you they have to evaluate a player in their system to see what the issues were. Even RE said that!!!

Finally, none of the those looking to deep 6 Fagnano have ever had a 2nd shot at anything at life, right?
If you look at Fagnano’s results, over his time at Maine he was pretty ordinary. People make a big deal over one game against BC but ignore the fact that he threw for under 100 against New Mexico in his othe FBS game. I think he is fine as a backup. But as the starter I don’t see it.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Fagnano is a great guy, but with Evers and Cole coming in, I don't see how he starts.

Reaction Score
If you look at Fagnano’s results, over his time at Maine he was pretty ordinary. People make a big deal over one game against BC but ignore the fact that he threw for under 100 against New Mexico in his othe FBS game. I think he is fine as a backup. But as the starter I don’t see it.
You are likely correct. What I want to see more than anything else, however, is the starter named well in advance of game week. That would indicate a clear winner in the competition, something we have not seen in quite awhile. And if that happened to be Fagnano, that would be a disappointment knowing the other candidates available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom