Prepare yourselves . . . | The Boneyard

Prepare yourselves . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
for a Big East/ACC merger. With the SEC possibly taking a team or two from the ACC (FSU/VT), and the Big Ten taking 2 more (BC, MD) the remainder of the BE and ACC will merge. Which is great news (IMO) to finally eliminate the non-football schools. Imagine a Syracuse, Uconn, UNC, and Duke led basketball conference

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
u really think bc is going to the BIGteleven? ND will happen before that.

Reaction Score
If that is how the Big Ten goes to 16, I'm all for those 4 schools. That leaves me a future (a merged Big EAst and ACC) with all of my core eastern football brethren (WVU, Pitt, syracuse and RU).

But your Presidents would be beyond idiotic to choose BC over (leaving UConn out of it) Pitt or Syracuse or Rutgers. Absolutely beyond idiotic.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i really like that. you guys take nd(who we dislike becuase they wont play fball with us). then take under armor, then bc. lets say texas goes indy instead, can u take miami off everyones hands as well?

Reaction Score
If that is how the Big Ten goes to 16, I'm all for those 4 schools. That leaves me a future (a merged Big EAst and ACC) with all of my core eastern football brethren (WVU, Pitt, syracuse and RU).

But your Presidents would be beyond idiotic to choose BC over (leaving UConn out of it) Pitt or Syracuse or Rutgers. Absolutely beyond idiotic.
Agreed 100%, but if....if that did happen and it was BC to the B1G, it would be solely at the request of ND. If you're the B1G, and the way you get ND is bringing along their little brother, you'd do it. ND will deliver the Boston market to the B1G more than BC will.

Reaction Score
Bingo, BC (along with Boston TV market) is just a chip to entice ND, by bringing along their rival.

Reaction Score
Playing his scenario out, let's assume the SEC grows to 16 with Mizzou, Aggies, FSU and Va Tech.

Let's also assume, for whatever reason, that the ACC can get its TV contracts redone to market and it, without the basketball schools, is inviting the Big East schools in (which is not at all a given but you have to start assuming somewhere). That would leave you with the following 16 team conference:

A Northern Division of UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Louisville and Cincy.

A Southern Division of Miami, Clemson, Ga Tech, the 4 Carolina Schools and Virginia.

The 16th would be one of USF, TCU and/or Kansas, depending on how people judge markets versus football versus hoops.

That would be a perfectly fine outcome. This league would be #4 in pigskin, but one of the top 4 and far above anyone left below it, and the dominant hoops league. And the geography, while not like it used to be, would not be absurd. Sign me up now (not my first choice but I'll take it).

Reaction Score
How does BC, a research lightweight, fit the mold of the Big 10? Even Northwestern, the only private school in the current league configuration, is a comprehensive university and major research center. BC just doesn't fit the model espoused by Big 10 presidents and I'd take any alleged plan that includes them with a grain of salt.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
That's a great conference from Uconn's perspective.
no its not. uconn knows no matter where it goes that both bball program will be just fine. so yes that league is great for bball, but we know no matter where we go we will be good, and if the league is weak we can just boost our ooc a bit. bball has no play in this. we need a good fball league, were trying to build a top25 fball program, one thats respected on the same level as our bball. it took us 20 years to get there in bball, were half way there in fball. playing duke/cincy/wake/a down miami does not help us fball wise.

Reaction Score
The thought that ND is going to give up money, and the rest of the Big Ten will join them, to take BC over Pitt or Syracuse or Rutgers is absurd. Why would ND do that? You think there is something in it for them? You just think they're nice guys and care about BC? Why?

Reaction Score
every scenario is unlikely, but this one is at least interesting

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
and no way the BIG comes east for bc without touching nyc. psu and michigan will deliver boston better than bc for u. your just a hockey fan looking for a good time.

Reaction Score
ND is not going to be attracted by BCU. That's similar to saying UConn would be attracted by URI. BCU would continually battle Indiana for last place.

Reaction Score
The whole premise is absurd, because ND will not get involved in any of this. Neither will Texas.

Reaction Score
for a Big East/ACC merger. With the SEC possibly taking a team or two from the ACC (FSU/VT), and the Big Ten taking 2 more (BC, MD) the remainder of the BE and ACC will merge. Which is great news (IMO) to finally eliminate the non-football schools. Imagine a Syracuse, Uconn, UNC, and Duke led basketball conference

You lost all credibility with me as soon as you mentioned the B1G & the Thunder Chickens in the same breath. Then, in your next post, you mentioned bringing the "Boston Market", because the ACC can tell you that they do that so well now. If the B1G is going to expand to the Northeast, the city that they CARE about is the Big Apple, not the home of baked beans.

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 10 bring in the two biggest options available in the country, to make an incredibly strong 14 team conference, then dilute it with two marginal programs to get to 16? If they bring in Texas and ND, markets are irrelevant. The BTN can then be national without any problem at all.

Reaction Score
I may be nuts, but I don't think the SEC is going to 16 anytime soon. I don't think they have any reason to do so. Unless you find new members who bring a lot of eyeballs to the t.v. screen...why dilute their current contract any further? I can see them going to 14 and putting the breaks on for a long time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Bingo, BC (along with Boston TV market) is just a chip to entice ND, by bringing along their rival.
If the B1G actually believes either is a possibility (BC bringing the Boston TV market or ND) they deserve what they get.

Reaction Score
Honestly, the B1G doesn't need the Boston market. They can get that from ND and Texas. People here don't care about midwestern schools, just as they don't care about southern schools, and the fact that BC is here is not going to really make them care much more than they already do. The only teams they care about are the Yankees, Lakers, Canadiens, and whoever messed up Tom Brady's hair. And we've all seen how much BC has brought "Boston" to the ACC.

Reaction Score
I may regret saying this, but those of you saying No to a ACC/BE merger have a serious lack of self awareness. Uconn, who I sincerely hope develops into fixture in the top 25, is just a toddler in conference re-alignment. Demanding more than the proposed merger is like a toddler demanding the adult table at Thanksgiving dinner. Just be grateful you get a seat at the card table and don't get stuck back in the high chair.

Merger with ACC is much better than the 12/20 scenario with a bunch of leftover Midwestern teams.

Reaction Score
Read Purple Cat & Frank the Tank:

Purple Cat:

Earlier this evening, Notre Dame and Texas jointly presented the Big Ten Conference with their proposed terms of entry into the conference. These terms resulted from lengthy discussions among both schools and the Big Ten over the past several months.

The major items include:
1. The preservation of an eight game (plus championship) conference football schedule. Both ND and Texas wish to preserve rivalries with non-Big Ten universities on a regular basis. This would require the Big Ten to abandon its current plans of a 9 game conference schedule.
2. The staggering of the schedule to allow for mid-season scheduling with non-conference football opponents.
3. The preservation of the status quo conference makeup until approximately 2014, unless the Big XII fails to retain key (NOT including A&M) conference members. This will provide the member schools, acting in unison, with the greatest leverage negotiating ongoing television contracts, particularly with ESPN.
4. Should Texas depart the conference for the Big Ten before ND due to the further disintegration of the Big XII, ND will remain independent until approximately 2014
5. The Longhorn Network would remain independent until approximately 2014, at which point the network would become a part of an expanded Big Ten Network (specifically referred to as "BTN2"), likely either in partnership with Fox, NBC, or less likely ABC

The Big Ten just wrapped up a meeting to initially consider all of the terms presented by the schools, including the aforementioned.

Notably, there is a general discontent with the reporting of the situation by ESPN with specific regard to Texas. ESPN has, for self-serving purposes, drastically exaggerated the lean of Texas to the Pac12 conference in nearly all commentary. ESPN has essentially waged a propaganda campaign to drive support among the Texas stakeholders to the Pac12 conference. ESPN has gone so far as to attempt to accelerate the disintegration of the Big XII to pressure Texas into making an immediate conference change decision. Texas has steadfastly resisted change, and will do so until the appropriate time occurs for Texas to stand in a strong position to renegotiate television contracts, including with ESPN.

In reality, the preference expressed by Texas' relevant leadership is to depart the Big XII for the Big Ten at the time that gives Texas the greatest leverage in negotiating a new television rights deal. The Big Ten and Texas agreed that Texas should do what is best for Texas, which they also both agree is a move by Texas to join the Big Ten Conference. Delaney's top priority has been to create an environment for Texas and Notre Dame to join the conference on mutually benefical terms.

Notre Dame has an interest in preserving its traditional rivalries, three of which occur already in the Big Ten, and creating a new national rivalry with a traditional powerhouse. The Big Ten believes that ND prefers independence, but realizes that it will soon have no choice but to join a conference. The Big Ten also believes that ND is trying to position itself so that if it must join a conference, it does so on the most favorable terms possible. Hence the return to the 8 game schedule and a protected game with national power Texas. The Big Ten will attempt to create a mutually beneficial environment for ND that allows it to preserve a great deal of independence to retain all its traditional rivalries within the conference context.

The initial mood at the Big Ten to the terms provided by the two schools is "receptive."
This post was edited on 9/8 2:20 AM by PURPLE Book Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger